LegacyGT.com

2nd-Gen LGT Brake Upgrades: WRX front and H6 Rear

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems like a great upgrade. Do they really work?

I have SS lines, d and s rotors and pads in mind. Is it worth getting WRX caliper and brackets for front, and h6 calipers and brackets for rear?

I'm happy with the upgrade - and I feel it's safer to have all the stopping power I can get... it's my wife's daily driver, after all. I bought the car with a seized caliper, so I never really had it on the road to test the stock setup. This is not the "absolute ultimate brake upgrade" out there, but it can be a great bang-for-the-buck solution. If you have a GT or Outback, and if your front calipers are in good condition, you only need to change the mounting bracket and rotors, and not the front calipers themselves. Saves some $$$ for easy upgrade. If you have an L or Brighton, get genuine Subaru calipers... I don't recommend the cheapy remans like I got. The rear H6 brake upgrade is slightly more involved, but not too bad. The stock discs just seem so small to me, especially the rears.

I still intend to install a MC brace at some point.

Edited by camroncamera

• 1 year later...

Did you install them yet? Any update?

If I can't find some decent looking OEM parts I'll probably go with remanufactured, I haven't read of any other problems with any others so maybe it was just bad luck for cam

Hi mailman,

yes i installed them, and sorry for not updating anyone. I will create a post of my own showing the process, but to sum it up. Sofar the Centric calipers have worked out great, and no issues. Its possible Cameron had just had a fluke with that one caliper.

I definitely felt a big difference in the braking.

Hi mailman,

yes i installed them, and sorry for not updating anyone. I will create a post of my own showing the process, but to sum it up. Sofar the Centric calipers have worked out great, and no issues. Its possible Cameron had just had a fluke with that one caliper.

I definitely felt a big difference in the braking.

Funny that I complained about remanufactured calipers, but the factory calipers commonly get seized with age anyway, and a broken brake is a motivating factor for upgrading the brakes in the first place. lol

How ironic Cameron lol.

Hows thing been up there in WA? Weathers getting nice and warm here again in NorCal.

Going out to Sonoma raceway tonight for the Wednesday night drifts. OH and BTW, the OB I just did the brake upgrade on is going under the knife yet again.

How ironic Cameron lol.

Hows thing been up there in WA? Weathers getting nice and warm here again in NorCal.

Going out to Sonoma raceway tonight for the Wednesday night drifts. OH and BTW, the OB I just did the brake upgrade on is going under the knife yet again.

Yeah Portland has seen a few nice days so far this spring, but it's been a little slow to really warm up. Oh well, it's only March! Once it gets really nice I'll be painting the JDM bumpers, folding mirrors, spats, and the flush door trims I just got the other day. Some of these parts I've had sitting around for two years, can't wait to be done.

You'll have to give us details on your OB project!

There are a few photos in my googe plus photo album that I linked there.

I am going super wide, and the plan was to cut up and weld some wrx fender sections over the front wheel arches to make it wider. I will use 04 wrx fenders because they are pretty big flares. But this is for the future, for now I will roll them until the metal starts cracking lol.

I am turning the OB into a drift car. Already bought complete drivetrain from a 05 LGT, and I am building the N/A ej25 with high compression pistons, cams etc...

RWD conversion spool from PPG, and many more mods. I should have the engine back from the machine shop in a cple weeks and I will start posting build photos.

There are a few photos in my googe plus photo album that I linked there.

I am going super wide, and the plan was to cut up and weld some wrx fender sections over the front wheel arches to make it wider. I will use 04 wrx fenders because they are pretty big flares. But this is for the future, for now I will roll them until the metal starts cracking lol.

I am turning the OB into a drift car. Already bought complete drivetrain from a 05 LGT, and I am building the N/A ej25 with high compression pistons, cams etc...

RWD conversion spool from PPG, and many more mods. I should have the engine back from the machine shop in a cple weeks and I will start posting build photos.

Sweet! Do you have a build thread already, or are you putting updates in the What Did You Do Today thread? Love to see more but we are starting to go off-topic here. lol

EDIT: Could be my browser but pics aren't working for me except your profile pic.

Edited by camroncamera

I know there are many Subaru DIY brakes upgrade threads, but I'd someday like to do a more organized pictorial how-to of this brake upgrade, covering the exact parts needed and the tweaks that work best for the 2nd-gen Legacy.

For sure, sounds like a good plan. Something I personally want to change is the H6 rear brake lines to the 97 Leggy ones so the route correctly. Cant seem to find them in steel form, but maybe I didnt search that much either lol.

For sure, sounds like a good plan. Something I personally want to change is the H6 rear brake lines to the 97 Leggy ones so the route correctly. Cant seem to find them in steel form, but maybe I didnt search that much either lol.

I THINK that the best way is like this:

If you want to keep your rear brake line the same style as factory 2nd-gen Legacy (1-piece-per-side), use instead a WRX rear caliper ('04-'07???) but WITH the same H6 rear brackets as used above. The brake line fitting is correctly angled on some WRX rear calipers, but is otherwise the same caliper design and does fit the brackets. Use a 4-peice stainless brake line kit that fits 2nd-gen Legacy. It might be that the WRX rear bracket is the same part as the H6, but I kinda doubt it (otherwise it would be called the WRX rear brake upgrade, lol).

Keep in mind that a suspension upgrade might change your brake line routing.

^^^The above is not confirmed 100% by me, but some of this is covered earlier in this thread.

Found some gently used 03 WRX fronts, gonna do those first and then worry about the rear since I have drums back there

Nice! Although I hear that you should use caution, as your brake bias will likely shift forward a fair amount.