LegacyGT.com

anyone experience QTP exhaust cutout?

sandwood

sorry to sound stupid...but what exactly do you mean by "exhaust cutout"?

I had the QTP header on my LGT for about two months. No problems related to the QTP hardware. Took it off and resold it only because it wasn't working well in harmony with my bigger 20G turbo.

cutouts are outlets for the exhaust that can be welded into a DP or pretty much anywhere in the exhaust plumbing. they can be opened or closed using an electrical switch or in some cases using pressure to open a valve, i believe. see: http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

the advantage is you can run a stock-like exhaust system and then when you want added performance or sound, you can open, or partially open, the cutout and vent exhaust gases prior to either the mufflers or even prior to any cats in the exhaust. needless to say, they are very loud.

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

The VW R32 comes with one from the factory. Rather, an electronic flapper that allows it to be selected for loud/quiet.

I like the idea of using one....maybe put one in before the 'y' and split to a turn down?

I like the idea of using one....maybe put one in before the 'y' and split to a turn down?

exactly. some people do it in the DP, but I'd like to move the noise further back a bit, and just before the junction of the Y makes natural sense. putting it after a cat won't maximize power, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about flames jetting out under the car either :icon_bigg

Hi Alex, I got your e-mail and will respond to it as well. I'm a firm believer in open exhaust :) The cutout will definately free up some more horse power, expecially the closer you get it to the down pipe. GM guys like myself and other ls1 boys on this site know the cutout is a sweet way to free up some horse power in n/a applications... but for turbo guys, the gains are two fold. QTP makes one of the most popular electric cutout systems.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/qtecphotos.php

Definately the cheapest way to get full performance out of the exhaust without spending a fortune on a cat-back. flip of the switch go from stock to open pipe. :evil:

-Rob

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

teamjordan - where in the exhaust did you have it installed? I guess liquidiq put it in the middle of the midpipe....

anyone familiar with the ones that slide a gate open, instead of using the rotating plate that dmh and qtp use (or do you call that a butterfly valve?)?

butterfly valve is the correct term, haven't heard of a sliding gate type. I have heard of a vacuum referenced cutout that opens under boost. :)

Too slow and it would wear at fast. Especially if it will ever see snow/ salty roads.

The VW R32 has a flap INSIDE the exhaust, not a cut out. A cut out would optimally be open before any cats in the exhaust stream.

Would EM be a bit tricky with this kind of setup? For everyday driving you'd want a stock map I would assume (or whatever matches your particular setup). I don't believe that you would be able to change maps as quickly as you could flip a switch though to take full advantage of having no exhaust. Is this even really a concern?

Chris

QTP is pretty reliable, so is DMH.. I have seen both and they work just fine.. just dont go submerging your car in a large puddle of water.. I will be going with this route as well and probably bolt it up to either with the non-catted STi-type downpipe and do a 02 non-fouler on the cat, or just replace the stock resonator on the midpipe...
Keefe

Archived