LegacyGT.com

slight turbo sound but no turbo?

OK I have a 97 LGT non turbo and I have been noticing that when I hit about 3.5 thousand rpm's I hear this hissing/whistling high pitch sound. Sounds similar to a turbo. I have seen a few threads on this and they didn't seem to conclude. Just wanted to post this in case somebody has had similar problems and found out what it could be or even fixed it.

I have the same problem and I replaced the headers back. I still have the noise I feel like it something to do with the belt tensioner or something like that I dont really know tho I would like to know if this is problematic and if there is a way to fix it

From the research I've done (I have the same issue) it appears to be a problem with the internal baffles in the muffler on the vehicles with the N/A, 2.5L engine (and maybe the 2.2?) Some sort of blockage occurs which restricts airflow and causes that whistling. I had noticed a bulge on one side of the muffler (where the seam is) so I'll be curious to know if... SomethingWittyAsAUsername... is able to solve the problem. However, from what I've found, it's an internal issue that can only be resolved with a new muffler. Which sounds expensive, until you realize (as I just did two days ago) that a brand new, decent quality muffler is less than $100 shipped on Amazon.

• I Donated
Yup, mine too. I'm going to pull a snorkus from the junkyard and put it in. I want my car quiet again.

If you're in town I might just let you take mine if you remove it. I'm undecided if I want it in there or not lol

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I've already told people this quite a few times...

The noise is coming directly from the tail pipe. It's a problem with the muffler.

I know this because I swapped on a modified WRX muffler at one point and the noise went away.

Plus, I had someone step on the gas and rev the engine up and heard it come from the tail pipe.

This is not to say that it is the only place a whistle noise can come from. So, my suggestion of what the problem is may not apply to you.

My new 98 LGT wagon makes the same exact noise from the muffler, but it also makes a slightly less noticable noticeable whistle from another hole in the exhaust piping.

Archived