LegacyGT.com

HID Headlights

So I recently purchased an 05 LGT Limited and am taking it through Maryland State Inspection. The car was failed because of its headlights. I was under the impression that the Legacy came with HID headlights, so I never thought twice about the fact that mine had them. I know that the HIDs come in all of the STIs except the current special editions as well as the WRX Limited, so why wouldn't they come in the Legacy? Does anybody know if there are any Legacy models that come with HIDs from the factory or as an option? If I have to pull these to install regular headlights I know its going to be a huge PITA. :spin:

to my knowledge none of the legacys some with factory oem HIDS...its one of the most popular mods on here...a lot of people seem to add them...the legacys are blessed with low beam projectors only..im sure others will chime in, but im almost positive..good luck making it pass inspection, sucks you gotta change everything back

I'm surprised it failed, I thought they just checked adjustment of them. seems like it should have passed if they were a legal/normal color. MD safety inspection is the dumbest thing ever...I got failed once for 50% window tint...not because it was against the law, but because it was not factory and they didn't have a meter to check that it was >35%. You could clearly tell that it was more than 35. I got failed on another car for not having a muffler (resonator only). The best part of that one was the inspector gave me the certificate after I got it replaced and said, "Now that you have the certificate you can change it back to the old exhaust." ugh...

I'm surprised it failed, I thought they just checked adjustment of them. seems like it should have passed if they were a legal/normal color. MD safety inspection is the dumbest thing ever...I got failed once for 50% window tint...not because it was against the law, but because it was not factory and they didn't have a meter to check that it was >35%. You could clearly tell that it was more than 35. I got failed on another car for not having a muffler (resonator only). The best part of that one was the inspector gave me the certificate after I got it replaced and said, "Now that you have the certificate you can change it back to the old exhaust." ugh...

I agree that MD inspection is the biggest load of crap ever. They are actually pushing for legislation to make it a yearly inspection...yet another way to bend us over I guess. The HIDs are a white color so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. If it was a BMW or an Acura they would probably never would have looked twice at it. I also got failed for tint on my back windows which i'm not surprised about...but i'm probably going to go to my dr. for a tint exemption to take care of that one ;) The car only has 50,000 miles and I feel like they are really reaching for stuff, but what can you do, right? Sometimes they have you by the stones and there is little you can do but turn your head and cough...

Yeah. I'm very sorry you live in an inspection state. Yay government.

FYI, HID retrofits are about the same price as new halogen bulbs these days. ~$30.

Maybe run to a junkyard and try to lift some halogen bulbs off a rear ended car? do they check both hi's and low's?

Yeah. I'm very sorry you live in an inspection state. Yay government.

FYI, HID retrofits are about the same price as new halogen bulbs these days. ~$30.

Maybe run to a junkyard and try to lift some halogen bulbs off a rear ended car? do they check both hi's and low's?

The HIDs are only on the Hi beams so I should be good for the low beams. What are these HID retrofits you speak of? I really don't know much about HIDs but I can def swing $30 if thats all it takes to remedy the problem

i dont think the jdm legacys had hids either...not even the 2010 models...not sure why? i think that if you got factory projectors they should come with hid option...surely someone on here has some stock headlights you could buy and just switch em out for inspection..is your setup now just plug and play? hopefully it is, the ebay lights go for around $200 a set i believe..good luck, shame you gotta get rid of hids..

maybe it's the fact that they are in the Hi-beams instead of the low beams. HID's don't do well in non-projector housings that aren't designed for HID's. Lots of glare

Correction, I meant to say they are just in the low beams. As far as being plug and play i'll have to look into them a little more to find out....

The HIDs are only on the Hi beams so I should be good for the low beams. What are these HID retrofits you speak of? I really don't know much about HIDs but I can def swing $30 if thats all it takes to remedy the problem

I'm sure you're going to be able to work this out for something like $50.

Can you find out exactly what the state is looking for? Any way to contact the prior owner about what kind of upgrade he did?

Pull the HID bulbs, replace with cheap halogens, leave the ballast/wiring in there. Go back to inspection station, get inspection, research HID kits on this forum and how to fill the "squirrel finder" put HIDs back in.

Done

And I'm not sure impressed is the right word but I am surprised they even knew what HIDs came on?

MA inspection is just as bad.. +1 for above post, just throw a set of 10$ halogens in and swap it back when you get home.

and not sure if MD has the same law as MA but if you buy a car from a dealer and it has "illegal" mods done to it and cannot pass inspection after you bought the car (and have not further modified it) the delaer has to make the car pass inspection, its not your problem at that point.. but if you bought it private party your screwed..

you could always say its stock.. they sound like morons anyways, try and trick em

So I recently purchased an 05 LGT Limited and am taking it through Maryland State Inspection. The car was failed because of its headlights. I was under the impression that the Legacy came with HID headlights, so I never thought twice about the fact that mine had them. I know that the HIDs come in all of the STIs except the current special editions as well as the WRX Limited, so why wouldn't they come in the Legacy? Does anybody know if there are any Legacy models that come with HIDs from the factory or as an option? If I have to pull these to install regular headlights I know its going to be a huge PITA. :spin:

you should never come back there after this,

I saw a crap load of civic out there every night blinding ppl with their STOCK HOUSING HID. And, funny they still have a (goddamn) legal inspection sticker on their windshield :lol:

I'm not sure what all is involved with your states inspection. Do they actually make you turn your headlights on or are the DRL's catching their attention?

The DRLs have actually been turned off. The problem is that the inspector wants me to pull the ballasts and everything and put in the old system, which i'm sure will be a hassle. :mad: I'm heading over to my subaru dealership monday to see if I can order HIDs from them. Since they come in the STI and some other models i'm thinking if I can prove that they can be purchased from the dealership maybe they will get off my back. If that doesn't work i'm considering just going to another shop and just paying for another inspection.

This is the stupidest thing I've read in a while. I'm sorry you are having to go through that BS. I've installed two aftermarket kits on my 07 and 08 Roos. The installation takes less than an hour. The biggest problem was figuring out where to put the ballast. Since someone has already done that for you, it shouldn't be hard to pull it and let the MD turd inspector have his way and then reinstall. Or, like someone else said, go someplace else.

I can see making someone swap out lights that blind folks or are a funky purple color, but this is just stupid. Geez. I'm glad I'm in Virginia.

I think you're getting projectors and HIDs confused. Our cars come with projectors and normal bulbs. We can easily add HIDs to the car, since we already have projectors.

Easiest solution is to get normal bulbs, and then get the oem grommets that are not drilled for HID wiring. Do that, pass, then just put HIDs back in.

Honestly, it would take less then 15minutes to do it.

Acuras and BMWs have HIDs because they have leveling systems for the beam. Our cars dont, so thats why it would technically fail for inspection.

I think you're getting projectors and HIDs confused. Our cars come with projectors and normal bulbs. We can easily add HIDs to the car, since we already have projectors.

Easiest solution is to get normal bulbs, and then get the oem grommets that are not drilled for HID wiring. Do that, pass, then just put HIDs back in.

Honestly, it would take less then 15minutes to do it.

Acuras and BMWs have HIDs because they have leveling systems for the beam. Our cars dont, so thats why it would technically fail for inspection.

No confusion here, my vehicle has an HID kit installed. I simply thought that HID lights on the legacy were factory since the STIs and WRX Limited models do in fact come with HIDs. My logical conclusion was that since this is a sports luxury oriented car that HID headlights weren't out of the question to come factory.

Um, the 08/09 Spec B's should come with factory HIDs and headlight leveling feature.

Does your headlight also have a relay installed? Or did the previous owner just disable the DRL? Anyway, as others have pointed out, it's most likely a plug and play system. Shove in a regular bulb from Walmart (9006), unplug the headlight harness feeding the HID bulb, and plug into the stock bulb. Go for inspection and keep the halogens for your next inspection. Reattach HIDs when you get home. Done deal. 15 minutes tops.

Archived