LegacyGT.com

Tired of Damage to Front Lip

Speedracerx

Before the beatings start, I'm old, so give me a break;).

I was getting tired of repairing my RBS front lip after hitting parking stops. For some reason I can't seem to judge the distance, and I lowered the car too much in front to clear the stops...both my problem I know, but I finally came up with a solution:

I mounted a cheapie backup camera behind the front plate and aimed it downward so I can see the lip and parking stop. Now I can pull within a hair of the stop and not hit it! The picture isn't the greatest, and there can be interference from other 2.4GHz cameras in the same area, but for the ease and price, it's pretty good. Currently, the screen/receiver is mounted on my LH air vent (it comes with multiple mounting systems). My plan was to see if it worked, then try to mount the screen in place of the driver's visor vanity mirror for a more stealthy install.

The system was $80 at Costco and comes with almost everything needed except a small piece of aluminum, some fasteners and the adjustable license plate bracket from Pep Boys. It took a couple of hours to install, and you can't even tell it's there. Also, I moved the plate slightly upward to provide more airflow to my FMIC. Without the FMIC concern the install could be even simpler.

If anyone is interested in duplicating, I'll try to take some pictures this weekend.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to razz you for not knowing how to park, but you covered yourself off in paragraph 2, and then you really came to the party with your camera-mount idea.

Can you post pics of this contraption? I'm intrigued... I will be putting my lip on in the Spring but I have a vat of bondo ready for when my wife will drive the car.;)

Yeah, I can park my car within a 1/2" from the edge of my driveway any time, but for the life of me, I can't judge the front end...I usually end up sticking too far out of the space, or hit the block when I think I have more than enough room. My wife thinks it's hilarious.

I'll try to take some shots this weekend, but if your wife's like mine, she won't want to mess around with hitting switches to turn on the system. Actually, I won't let my wife drive the LGT anyway!

OK, I'm bored at work so I thought I'd go ahead and snap a few shots.

The screen shot may be hard to decipher, but the black bar is the RBS lip and the blue blob is a latex glove I placed on the ground below the bumper. The console shot shows a switch box attached to the side of the console...the top switch turns on the camera (normally, the camera power is connected to the back up lights).

The screen is clipped onto the LH air vent for now.

The Camera is sandwiched between the license plate and the bumper. There is a bracket on the camera that I just bent and attached to the Pep Boys plastic license plate holder. I made a simple upper license plate bracket out of aluminum sheet...it's shaped in a "V" to angle the plate and provide space for the camera.

I may still modify the whole deal when I add my FMIC water sprayers, but I'm happy with the simplicity of the design for now.

IMG_0116.JPG.b156cad900edac27d1e5da8d1d153ca3.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG.52a00a49634efc998c26027bb874850e.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG.d79d13043552f65289ac0d65ca56881c.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG.dd8c057ef5d8eac17a80401d99265986.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG.c0b60a7f9369db05c5379593783f7d41.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG.63ef81168b88a575550b380f30378307.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG.a1c53e8673c2ef2bf8f6fe92920ad49a.JPG

I think anybody that is old, but has a FMIC is kinda cool!

Hey THANKS! When I turned the big 6-0 ealier this year, someone asked me when I was going to act my age...after I told him to F-Off, I thought "am I trying to relive my youth?" Not really...I'm still living it! Modding cars keeps me young, and, as I told my wife, no matter what it costs, it's still cheaper than having a girlfriend!

Thanks guys...oh, and if any you build one, here's a tip: don't turn it on and drive on the highway. I've been trying it out as I drive (like playing with a new toy) and it's kind of cool to see the road in front of the car as you drive...but, very distracting (and stupid!)...not that anyone on lgt.com would do anything stupid:lol:

Thanks guys...oh, and if any you build one, here's a tip: don't turn it on and drive on the highway. I've been trying it out as I drive (like playing with a new toy) and it's kind of cool to see the road in front of the car as you drive...but, very distracting (and stupid!)...not that anyone on lgt.com would do anything stupid:lol:

i have a back up camera with a switch on the steering column...i use the back up camera alot....nd soemtimes keep it on contiosly like when it was snowing i kep the backup cam on becuase the snow was falling so hard that the rear would just accumalate and accumalate and be not see through. or in the city i keep it on to see how much room the asshat left behind me, and either space up or tay in the place i am.

Yup! I'm planning on making it (after I take care of some family stuff at home). Kinda sucks because I live in Anaheim but work in LB only 5 minutes from the venue.

Didn't want to RSVP because of possible timing issues, but I'm definitely looking forward to meeting the group!

I like the setup, but I dont see it working for someone like myself who often has people bumping off my car while parallel parking around me. Other than that, looks like a good idea.

Thanks. Yeah, you have a good point...the camera would definitely get squashed! I thought about that when I initially came up with the idea...I rarely parallel park so it was a calculated risk. I also toyed with the idea of leaving off the front plate (not ideal for a modded car in Cali), so I wouldn't have a spot for the camera...I then thought about making a hole in the bumper above the bottom grille splitter...I didn't pursue it further because I was lazy and wanted a quick solution;)

Archived