LegacyGT.com

Timing Belt Issue on a 1997 Legacy 4dr EJ22E.

Hello everyone! I haven't been here in a long time because of school but now I'm back & I need some input. Any experience/comment will be appreciated. First, allow me to explain my issue.

I leave my house & the car is running perfectly. I'm even able to get on the highway with it before I arrive at UPS to pick up my wireless modem. When I leave UPS to start my car, it turns over but shudders HARD a couple of times before shutting off.

I turn it over a couple of times and the crank turns but there is absolutely no compression at all. I then whip out my 10mm wrench & 'crack' open the timing belt cover & I see that the belt isn't on the cam gear on bank 1. Now for those with experience with this issue (I'm just a student when it comes to Subarus or cars in general), what is the likelihood that the valves were destroyed? (I have this 'feeling' that valves were bent. Call it my growing mechanic's intuition.)

I then whip out my 10mm wrench & 'crack' open the timing belt cover & I see that the belt isn't on the cam gear on bank 1. Now for those with experience with this issue (I'm just a student when it comes to Subarus or cars in general), what is the likelihood that the valves were destroyed? (I have this 'feeling' that valves were bent. Call it my growing mechanic's intuition.)

the 97 ej22 is an interference engine. it is very very likely you have bent valves. there is a small chance that the valves are ok but not likely.

the only way to be sure is to hang a new belt and do some tests.

woah woah hang on. the ej22 is a non-interference engine, but the ej25 is the interference engine. you shouldn't have bent any valves on it; anyone else confirm this?

all you'd need to do is throw a new belt on it, do a whole timing job while you're under there if you'd like, or if you absolutely have to just fit the old belt back to the cam in the right spot.

woah woah hang on. the ej22 is a non-interference engine, but the ej25 is the interference engine. you shouldn't have bent any valves on it; anyone else confirm this?

the ej22 is non-interference 90 - 96. in 97 they modified the engine piston design, among other things, and tweaked up the HP output slightly. as a result of the "new" piston design the engine became interference.

the ej25 has been interference from the beginning in 96.

The Phase II EJ22 is actually an interference engine.

The Phase I (In my opinion, the less efficient yet more durable EJ22 version) engine isn't an interference motor.

The easiest way to find out is to get the belt back on and see how it runs. If it has bent valves and it still runs, I'd say rock it 'till it dies. Its cheaper than fixing it. I had an Accord that I gave away (I hate Hondas) with bent valves. That thing had 300K miles on it and still ran. Sounded like a Harley in the winter time though.

Archived