LegacyGT.com

front lsd help

philly15

ok so im thinking about using a transmission from an 05 LGT for a project and i need help on understanding which LSD to buy

i read a large chunk of the 50 something page thread about LSDs and im not honestly sure it helped me from what i understand the main option is the JDM unit from rallispec (about $1500) after that im not sure what else is actually available? been searching for hours and not sure what other options are out there is there a sub $1000 option or is the rallispec on the only way to go? any help would be awesome thanks for the LGT this is tough im coming from the wrx platform where you pick a company and chances are they make an LSD for the wrx doesnt seem this way for the LGT so need opinions!

you need to figure out what kind of driving, and therefore what kind of diff you need. the most road friendly unit, good for daily driving and occasional racing with no maintenance needed and OEM fitment, is the rallispec jdm helical unit. other companys such as mfactory, quaife and PPG make similar units. There are also alot of clutch type units available such as cusco RS/MZ, but those need more tuning and maintenance to get right.

Having had the rallispec unit in my car, i can tell you that unless you are a hardcore track/autox junkie, the rallispec unit is the one to have. Front diffs are a major investment for both parts and labor. The last thing you want is some sub-standard diff which doesn't drive right and having to take your trans apart multiple times. Get a diff you know will fit and work well the first time.

Also there was some reading I did on nasioc of someone saying any lsd made for a 5spd Subaru would work is there validity to that statement?

not all 5mt's are the same. older 5mt's have axles stubs as part of the front diff while newer ones dont. if you get a diff meant for older boxes that have the stubs built in, you will need custom front axles to make it work. -not worth the hassle.

the Mfactory diff is Under $700 - http://www.teammfactory.com/helical-lsd_Subaru# but ive heard mixed review about it. Everything else is either a clutch type diff or $1k+.

if you have your heart set on a front diff, get the JDM rallispec one, or the PPG front - http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/page.asp?productid=67

to be honest, it will be easier to find a used STI 6mt with a front diff already in it as part of a 6spd swap.

yes, id pick the PPG unit, but at that point you may as well get the JDM helical from rallispec. All roads lead back to it. Might i ask what you specifically need the lgt 5mt for? FF 818 perhaps? ;) If so, you may want to spring for a cusco RS unit instead.

yes, id pick the PPG unit, but at that point you may as well get the JDM helical from rallispec. All roads lead back to it. Might i ask what you specifically need the lgt 5mt for? FF 818 perhaps? ;) If so, you may want to spring for a cusco RS unit instead.

perhaps.......;) i was just seeing if there was a more cash friendly option since the LSD is almost gonna cost double the trans i wanna buy lol

well, assuming im right about your intended use, you are gonna want somthing that can handle power without issue since you will be 2wd. you dont want to skimp here. its unfortunate you cant find them used. if you are gonna be doing the work yourself, a well set up clutch diff cant be beat.

i was probably going to go with the cusco anyway since it has either 1, 1.5, or 2 way options and they do list the LGT as an option pretty much down between that or the rallispec one i was just seeing if anyone knew of other potential options

Will both the m factory and ppg fit the lgt 5 speed?

Yes. But some modification is required to get it to snap/lock in. You'll have to shave about a 1/4 inch from the drivers side axel to get it to snap in place. Somthing about the offset where the axel seats to the diff -- not sure if it was redesigned or not. With that said, i've had no negative effects from this and tracked the car at least once a mos for the 3years since installing the diff and had no problems at all. It was solid.

• 2 months later...

Archived