LegacyGT.com

can someone send me a link for stronger gearsets

kevkel33leg05

I ended up blowing 2nd gear so im gonna rebulid my transmission. Im just looking at options for my rebuild like something stronger. do the 06 wrx gearsets work for the legacy's 05mt? I dont have access to a computer right now so i wont be able to be look at this for a day or 2.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/

Funny you should ask. My son is working with them and there US contact in I think Seattle for our Honda. He has all the info if you PM me your email and I'll forward it to him.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I ended up blowing 2nd gear so im gonna rebulid my transmission. Im just looking at options for my rebuild like something stronger. do the 06 wrx gearsets work for the legacy's 05mt? I dont have access to a computer right now so i wont be able to be look at this for a day or 2.

Thanks in advance.

you were the guy ffs the legacy gt @ track w/ tuning alliance tune right? Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

I had PPGs for a while before I swapped in a 6 speed and I absolutely loved them. I would recomend them in a heartbeat. For most people, the helical syncro box is the perfect fit. They have anything from that to 6 speed dogbox transmissions for very high hp applications. They are expensive, though. Talk to Andrewtech if you want them, they are the most commonly used installer for Subies, and I have never heard anything bad about them.

A less expensive choice you have is to contact http://www.ds1motorsports.com/ about their MFactory gearset. Not as strong as PPGs, but less expensive.

Langwood has a PPG helical syncro set built by Andrewtech out of MD. Talk to Andrew or Dan. Go PPG or go 6mt. If you drag 5mt is better, Andrewtech has a special set with different ratios for drag. If you have more than 500whp go straight cut with dogbox. You could also do straight 1 and 2 and helical 3 and 4. I would not be able to stand the noise from the pure straight cut gears.

I think the exchange rate with the Aussie dollar is very favorable at this time.

Like I said above, I used to have PPGs (PPG 1-2 and RA 3-4-5-R then I broke 3rd), but I now have a 6 speed.

I wrote a review of the 6 speed here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91629

If you don't want to read my review, cliff notes are that I wish that I did PPGs again instead of the 6 speed. I would love to someday get the dogbox gearset for the 6mt, but that is big money.

Thankls for all your replies. i just took out the transmission last night. Im gonna be opening it up this week to see excatly wha damage happened. Im rebuliding it myself so no labor fee's but what i might do is just bulid it back to stock and start saving for a 6 speed swap. But if i open it up and everything is damaged in there i might go with a gear set. Ill keep you guys posted still dont have time to get my computer up and running so i wont be able to be on here as much as i would like. If you have anymore ideas feel free to drop them. Also how strong are the 6mt? Like what are they rated at about?

you were the guy ffs the legacy gt @ track w/ tuning alliance tune right? Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Yea thats me but at the track i didnt ffs 1st to 2nd only 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th so cant blame it all on ffs. Im sure my sts and stage2+ clutch helped in the ending of 2nd gear. haha

With a PPG gearset, the 5 speed is compairable to a 6 speed, strength wise.

There are lots of arguements going either way with that, but both will hold 400+ to the wheels, and there are people running 800whp on PPGs and the 6mt.

From what I hear, especially PPG gearsets are picky on being installed correctly. Almost all of the PPG failures that happen are due to incorrect assembly.

Thankls for all your replies. i just took out the transmission last night. Im gonna be opening it up this week to see excatly wha damage happened. Im rebuliding it myself so no labor fee's but what i might do is just bulid it back to stock and start saving for a 6 speed swap. But if i open it up and everything is damaged in there i might go with a gear set. Ill keep you guys posted still dont have time to get my computer up and running so i wont be able to be on here as much as i would like. If you have anymore ideas feel free to drop them. Also how strong are the 6mt? Like what are they rated at about?

Yea thats me but at the track i didnt ffs 1st to 2nd only 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th so cant blame it all on ffs. Im sure my sts and stage2+ clutch helped in the ending of 2nd gear. haha

you should have no problem with the 6speed until you go beyond gt35 levels of power.

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Bullhead gears I believe is the US distributor for PPG gears. My son talks about a guy named Eric who is working on a special gear set for high HP Honda's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Get pictures so we can see what happened :)

I would love to see a writeup about this, also, the MFactory gears mentioned on the first page, they say theyre for a wrx, are they also drop in replacements for our gearsets? I would assume yes.. but I am not sure.

Have you contacted MFactory ?

Here; check out post 23 and ask him yourself, tell him 1992Si sent you.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2436300

I think at the bottom of page 2 Erik from Bullheadgear is there too.

Hey ive been so busy with everything. Ill get some pictures up im hoping by tomorrow. I blew 2nd gear itself and the driven gear thats casted to the input shaft. There are two shaft in out transmission. (the main transmission shaft and the driven shaft). So i needed a new 2nd gear and a new input shaft since that gear is casted to the shaft itself. 3rd gear has two cone clutches some might know them as blocker rings. But the peice that goes inbetweem both of the clutches broke in half as well. I think its a result of ffs. But had no drivabilty issues just noticed it in the taken apart. I get discounts on subaru parts so im just buliding it to stock since im a broke college student and only thoes two main peices were broken. So far my damages are $350 with the discount. That includes a new release bearing as well. I would be just over 500 dollers w/o the disocunt. Like i said i will deff get some pictures up. I Dont know if ill be able to do a write up anytime soon but i have np giving someone a hand if there in this process as well.

Archived