LegacyGT.com

You want a good Leather Conditioner?

OK folks, after reading a thread and checking out the website, I decided I would give this leatherique stuff a try.

I bought the combo pack that includes a 32oz bottle of “Rejuvenator” and a 32oz bottle of “Cleaner”.

The process is documented here on the website, but it involves putting lots of rejuvenator all over the leather, letting it sit and soak in for about a day, putting a lot of cleaner on, waiting a little while, wiping it off with a damp cloth, and then buffing with a dry towel.

I was skeptical of the claims on the website. I thought it would at least help condition the leather, but make the leather feel better? Come on…

For a comparison, I also bought the leather conditioner combo from Wolfgang based on OCDetails recommendation.

I applied the leatherique stuff on the back seat, and the Wolfgang on the passenger’s seat. Doing the whole process with the leatherique does suck, (24 hrs without the driver’s seat or riding on a plastic bag is excellent :( ) and it is a little messy when put on by hand as recommended, but the actual working time is pretty close to the Wolfgang products. (I used micro-fiber applicators and towels as necessary for both products)

I had some friends feel each of the seats and comment. They had no knowledge of which seat had Wolfgang, leatherique, or nothing. (Car is 3 wks old, so no conditioner shouldn’t be too bad) The winner was clearly the leatherique seats. Everyone thought the leather felt a lot more expensive; the main comment was that the leather felt softer and more like lambskin. The Wolfgang felt a little softer than stock.

Based on that trial, I did another coat on the rear seats, and did the front seats, steering wheel, etc. for the first time. All I can say is that the leather feels at least 2-3x more expensive. The second coat in the back truly made the seats feel like lambskin.(it is like comparing a cheap leather jacket to an expensive lambskin one…) I plan on doing 1 more coat in the front, and then doing this process about 4 times a year. The rest of the time, I will use the Wolfgang. While the results were not as astounding as the leatherique, it did improve the feel, it will help clean and protect, and it doesn’t smell like a$$, plus it is cheaper than leatherique and the process is not quite as extensive.

Just thought I would share a way to improve the interior of the Legacy…

Ted

:spin:

Leatherique is definitely good stuff. Its a bit on the pricey side, but it is worth it. They have the very best leather repair products too. I don't remember if they have the before/after pictures on their site, but if you get a rip in your leather, or need to repair old cracked leather, then Leatherique is the site to visit. You can repair leather to look just like new. Again, a little on the pricey side, but some things are worth it. :)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I have to say I'm intrigued, but the idea of putting plastic bags or whatever over the seats for 24 hrs. has me balking. I think I'm gonna go the Wolfgang route (car is 4 mos. old, still haven't done anything to the leather yet). Still, nice write up and great idea for a comparo! I wonder how an over the counter leather cleaner/conditioner (i.e. Armor all or Meguiar's, etc.) would stack up?

Edit: After reading the site, apparantly it is not necessary to cover the interior with plastic, unless you intend to drive or move the car. Otherwise, just leaving it outside with the windows closed on a hot day seems to do the trick. From the site:

Park the car in the sun with the windows rolled up to create a "steam room" for as long as practical, several hours or a day. In cooler weather, or for long-term storage in a garage, cover the seats with plastic wrap, and "warm" with a hair dryer. Or one of our Ferrari friends, Paul Hammer, suggests covering seats with large plastic garbage bags to be able to sit in the car and move it if necessary. (Allow the oil to be absorbed into the fibrous side of the leather before putting the top down in a convertible.) Direct sun is the worst enemy of any automobile interior or home upholstery. Do not place home or office leather upholstery in direct sun.

Question: Do we need UV protection for our leather seats? What's a good product for this?

Oh... and details.... Color, model, options?
pm'ed you!

Sorry about the confusion. Yeah, you only need the bags if you want to move the car.

This stuff is really not that much more expensive than the Wolfgang products and like OCDetails said, sometimes it is just worth it. The Kit I got was $55, the wolfgang combo was roughly $40...

Ted

the only thing bad about the product is that it smells pretty bad. if you put it on by hand, your hands end up smelling bad too. i was kind of scared that some of it would settle in the pinholes in the seats and make them smell bad for eternity.

The leatherique stuff I used smelled like oranges, lemons, etc. Basically a citrus smell...

Actually, while I agee that the Wolfgang stuff smells like leather, the girlfriend gave the nod to the leatherique, because the Wolfgang smells like very concentrated leather...

I think they both smell just fine,(unlike lexol!) and the leather itself smells very "leathery" after the leatherique process.

Ted

i like the four star stuff. haven't tried the wolfgang. i remember trying leatherique a long time ago and it definitely didn't smell like lemons. it smelled like acetone+lexol mixed together ... maybe i should try it again.

OCD (and anyone else) is it necessary to apply UV protection to our seats? If so, what's a good product for this, if the leather conditioners don't already have it?

Wolfgang does have UV protection in it. It says it right on the bottle. I asked Dwayne at www.premiumautocare.com (an LGT Vendor) what he thought about UV protection and this is what he had to say:

All leather, unless it is the color of a dead cow, is artificailly colored.. or "dyed"..... UV tends to cause auto interiors to fade over time. UV protection blocks the rays that cause the fading. That is what makes Wolfgang Leather Conditioner so great. It helps prevent that kind of damage from happening to your leather. Protecting it from the time you get it would be the best suggestion to properly protect and care for your leather.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

the Leatherique stuff is simply the best. i've pretty much tried them all - Lexol cleaner/conditioner/neatsfoot oil, Meguiar's, Fiebing's, etc. the Leatherique is somewhat pricey stuff, but i bought a bottle of Rejuvenator and Prestine Clean (1 liter each?) back in '98 to use on my '87 928S4, and used them on my SVX up until last month when i sold it, and the bottles are still over half full. it made the 10+ year old seats in the 928 soft as butter, and an admin at the SVX Network said he'd never felt SVX seats so soft (and he's seen a lot of SVX's :D).

now that i have an UN-Limited GT, i expect those bottles of Leatherique will last quite a while for doing the steering wheel and shifter. :lol: with a "new" 2005 Legacy, a couple bottles of Leatherique to soften the leather and keep it clean will probably outlast the car.

• 2 weeks later...

All the top "seating" surfaces are leather.

For sure, the backs of the rear headrests are vinyl - this is the easiest and best place to see the difference, side-by-side, if you take one off. Once you see that difference, you might be able to spot other vinyl areas - I haven't yet checked.

The front headrests are all leather.

From what I have been reading the leatherique stuff seems to be the best stuff. Im guessing then that would not hurt the vinyl either

Also, can you buy it from any local stores? Or just there website?

you can use it on vinyl as well.

North American distributors (from their site):

http://www.leatherique.com/north_america.htm

Archived