LegacyGT.com

Are you dyno tuned?

I'm looking for some advice from people who have had their cars tuned on a dyno.

What questions should I ask when I initially call a shop about getting tuned? I'm sure prices vary but what's a reasonable price? What should I expect? Any advice would be helpful.

Oh yea, was it worth it? I'm hoping I will stop modding once I get a dyno tune:lol: :lol:

The cost of a tune, is largely dependant on your combination of parts. If you are a vanilla Stg1/2, then it will likely be around $300-400. If you have a big turbo, intake, inj. and want a racegas map as well. This will easily drive up the price, likely between $500-750.

Custom dynotunes rarely aren't worth it. So getting one will most likely net you power, better drivability, and the ability to have the tune setup to your wants. Ie; If you want better mpg, you can request to have less boost at low throttle, yet still retain full power at 100% throttle. OR have the boost ramp up more gradually so as not to over stress the drivetrain. With OTS maps, you have no real say in these settings, you take what the tuner has decided for you.

One thing for sure, get all your mods done, then have it tuned! Otherwise, tuning costs will be quite high.

Do you get just one map or do some tuners give you several (better MPG, race gas, etc...)?

You get as many or little that you pay for. Generally for a Stg1/2 setup it is 1 map. And likely additional maps would be discounted....

I did it for the piece-of-mind. Knew I was gonna stay at the state 2 level hardware-wise for a while. Ended up with a safer (no constant negative dynamic timing high in the revs), bit more power (15lbs-ft more of torque) and more daily driver friendly (boost hits harder sooner in the rev range).

i will be getting dyno tuned and not have to drive across the country to do it now. My buddy with a shop got his AWD the only one in the state. Anyways last summer I went to Topspeed to get protuned with my wrx. He charges 300 for a single map protune and 50 dollars for each additional map. I paid for C16 at the shop and paid 10 dollars a gallon so I walked out of there paying 400 even with a very evry very good tune. I would recommend getting tuned to anyone that has modded there car past just stage 2. I dont think 10-20 hp increase in a protune is worth the money IMO. But if you do a turbo swap you willneed a protune anyways.

well, good questions because i am looking to do the same here in the next few months. unfortunately, i will have to drive 1200 miles or so to get mine done. only issues are trying to get the car up to speed without the tranny going before we can get it tuned properly. :( this is the downside with auto's. i would not have the bit ? for the tuners on an MT as there are plenty of folks who have done modifications. i believe that having a good protune by a highly qualified pro-tuner will be worth it.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Those prices seem pretty reasonanble..I was quoted $1,000 for an ECUtek tune by the local dealer (perf. shop in the back)...

Oh, the quoted number's, were after your initial purchase of an AP, or Ecutek license. So add roughly $650-700 on top. That puts you around the $1000-1100 mark all in.

I'm ECUTeK'ed, so I can definitely back-up the pricing cost that brother edmundu has already been so good to "break down." :)

Yes, the initial ECUTeK license is typically in the $600 to $700 range. This is "equivalent" to one's initial investment in the Cobb AccessPORT hardware, which is around the same dollar-cost.

However, of course, with the ECUTeK license, you don't get that end-user enabled hardware that the AccessPORT is so very excellent for.

Recently, though, with the introduction of ECUTeK's end-user enabled software and end-user level OBD-II access dongle, the EasyECU, as long as you have a laptop, you are virtually neck-and-neck with the AccessPORT in terms of end-user "practical usability," with the chief difference between the two being interface (laptop with the ECUTeK, the AccessPORT device with that of its name-sake), and a true "give-and-take" between the various end-user enabled functions.

A big difference currently exists, though, in that the ECUTeK does not allow on-the-fly map-switching (i.e. no RealTime maps), and it also does not support StreetTUNER type map-sharing/tuning. This is of-course traded-off with ECUTeK's very highly regarded DeltaDash datalogger and road-dyno program, which is typically packaged with EasyECU.

In the end, it becomes a matter of what the end-user would like to interface with - along with what features are sought after - as well as, importantly, what the tuner either chooses or prefers to work with.

:)

For-reference:

My initial ECUTeK tune was about $750. This included about a little over an hour's worth of time on a Mustang dyno, and a test-ride by the tuner, too.

My current ECUTeK tune (i.e. "new map") cost $ 300. This was bundled together with my EasyECU (w/DeltaDash) purchase, which was $ 450. I received a semi-custom map (i.e. a "new map") at the time of the EasyECU purchase as well. The $ 300 incorporated nearly 2 hours on the local Mustang dyno, and also included a "de-tune" map for use with lower octane-grade gasoline, should I ever travel to an area where pump 93-octane is not available.

I originally chose ECUTeK because it was all that my initial tuner worked with, at that particular time-point. I wanted a true "live tune," and as such, I was limited to the choice, at that time.

I elected to stay with ECUTeK due to the excellent customer-service that I received, as well as (but less-so), that I prefer a laptop interface, and wanted the DeltaDash datalogger.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Wow...great explanation....thanks for the information. I have no interest in tuning myself...I was going to do the Accessport thing but still I have this phobia of my car not starting....well looks like it's ECUteck for me.

Thanks again!

Rehab is for quitters.

TPLGT - No need to thank me, I'm just returning the favor for what guys like edmundu did to guide me, when I first started. :)

Don't worry about "messing up your car" with the AP. That really won't happen unless you dive headlong into StreetTUNER (which you'll need to purchase, separately, if you decide you want to do map-sharing, self-tuning, etc.). The AccessPORT itself is only an interface device, and will not do any more harm than would the ECUTeK reflash dongle (what they call their OBD-II -to- laptop access tool).

There's even been documented cases of Cobb Tuning owning up to a proven AccessPORT failure (which they dissected themselves, no less!), and reimbursing the AP owner for a new ECU that the malfunctioning tool "fried."

That's excellent customer service, in my book!

:)

If your chosen tuner can only tune using one or the other, then yes, that limits your choices (as it did mine) - but if it's either one, then you've got to ask yourself what kind of interface you'd like, and what features you like. Both are excellent tools, and unless you dive headlong into actually messing with the parameters of the tune, will only very, very rarely (read: "freak"), if EVER, "mess up your car" in any way.

Choosing a good tuner is of the utmost concern - it's their work, their map, that will dictate not only your vehicle's performance, but also its durability, reliability, and overall driveability. Thereafter, let him/her choose the tuning tool.

----

Oh, and as for whether or not I feel a professional "live" road and/or dyno-tune is "worth it?"

Totally.

The difference in power is besides the point.

To me, the important thing was knowing that the power increase that I did benefit from would not detract from the day-in, day-out use of this vehicle that I *MUST* have, as a true daily-driver/commuter.

And in addition to that all-important "safety" factor, was also the additional benefit of the vehicle being as smooth as possible in terms of its power delivery. Yes, an "e-tune" (reflash, logging, reflash, logging, etc. - repeat as-necessary until tuning is "complete" or acceptable to both parties) would have made that possible as well, but I'm somewhat old-fashioned, and I inherently "trust" a "live" tune a bit more. ;)

In any case, this was my latest tune:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55120&page=2 - starts on page 2, posts # 22 and # 30.

Even with my former tune, I was still very, very satisfied. But as I stressed in that thread, choosing the right tuner is very important, and I'm sure that as you read through my "tale," you'll see why, too. :)

Best of luck!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ That's how I feel about myself, too. :)

Yes, I can comprehend the basics, but not the more intricate stuff - and it's the latter that's going to cause me headaches, of course! :lol: Since I don't have enough time to devote to truly sitting down and learning it, I figured I should just keep the hell out of it, and pay the pros to do their job. :)

Sure, a professional tune ain't cheap, but it's better than blowing up an engine because I bit off more than I could chew!

^ That's how I feel about myself, too. :)

Yes, I can comprehend the basics, but not the more intricate stuff - and it's the latter that's going to cause me headaches, of course! :lol: Since I don't have enough time to devote to truly sitting down and learning it, I figured I should just keep the hell out of it, and pay the pros to do their job. :)

Sure, a professional tune ain't cheap, but it's better than blowing up an engine because I bit off more than I could chew!

exactly! and that's about the predicament i seem to be in at the moment! :( hoping the street tuner software and the techs will be able to help fix some of the gearing issues. picked up my serial extension cable today as well. hopefully i'll get some logs in soon.

I've been pro-tuned by PDX for the last year. My tune was done on a dyno day and I got a great deal - $150. Tim and Jarrad did the tune.

My car goes to PDX in the next couple weeks for an 18G, pump, injectors etc. That tune is going to run $325.

I'm getting dyno tuned for @$250 this Friday. Price is base price, depending on how much time is actually spent, it could go up a little.

OTS TDC stage2 was 247/268 on this dyno. I'm adding an AEM CAI and Prodrive solenoid and getting Protuned. We'll see how she runs:)

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Skillz, where are you planning on getting tuned?

I see you're in SC, so are you going down to Scott Seigel or Topspeed?

Both are Protuners, and are probably the best in your neck of the woods...or you can go north to Boxer4 up around Asheville

Goin' to Carolina in my mind...and in my car on the 16th!

I've read a couple of posts where people have said autos are harder to tune on a dyno. Anyone ever here/experience that before?

i am! i can't get my tune right with the auto! :( and many others with similar type set ups have had some issues when it came time for tuning. after doing the sti swap on my 5eat, i'd say unless you have a good tuner in your area you can take the car and have it done right, wait til you are close enough to do that before installing everything.

currently, my gears are grinding in 1st and 2nd under load. too much torque (this is what the 2 main techs at the dealership are telling me and i'm inclined to listen because they know their shit). the ECU is freaking out because it has all this power and not sure what to do with it. so while it "thinks" the gears are still going and that slight delay is causing them to grind when i'm in boost. so until i can get my damn PC to datalog to send some logs to PDX, or i can get the street tuner software and HOPEFULLY they can change some of the settings (we are not sure the software will even do this), i am SOL. i have to stay out of boost and pretty much drive like a freaking grandma.. :( i've been working with Owen at PDX and he's been great. he's waiting on me to get these logs to him so he can try and figure out a way to get the car up and shifting correctly until i can get it down to them in May. if i had a 5MT this would not even be a problem! One of the guys here has already done this exact same swap on his LGT wagon and hasn't had any issues with his tune. his car is running like a champ. only difference is mine is 5EAT and his is 5MT, both running PDX maps.

Both are Protuners, and are probably the best in your neck of the woods...or you can go north to Boxer4 up around Asheville

i believe Siegel has done all the super crazy auto LGT tunes like Wukindada and Iamboon. If you have a 5EAT, i'd certainly go there! he seems to know what he's doing!

I was thinking about Boxer4 because I have heard good things about them and they are <3 hrs from me. What's up Scott Seigel? Where is he located? I haven't heard much about him.

Archived