LegacyGT.com

Yet another tire size thread - 225/50/17 ?

I read the FAQ, but sizes I am thinking about are not "approved". Why?

225/50/17 is barely bigger than stock SpecB size (~7 mm more in diameter)

I understand speedo will be off on regular LGT, but this aside, are there any downsides running such as size? actually the speedo should not be terribly of, because with stock size it shows higher than actual.

I understand they will roll more and feel mushy, but these would be winter tires and I am interested in getting some more clearance for snowy conditions.

Thoughts?

I understand speedo will be off on regular LGT, but this aside, are there any downsides running such as size? actually the speedo should not be terribly of, because with stock size it shows speeds lower than actual.

The 225/50-17 has a rolling diameter of roughly 25.9 inches versus 24.6 inches for a stock LGT 215/45-17, a 5% increase. Your speedo will actually read even slower because of the larger diameter of the 225/50-17. Each revolution will cover 5% more distance than your speedo registers.

My bad, I am thinking in reverse, stock speedo reads faster. Like 3 mph, 75 mph shown is 72 mph actual.

Oh, in that case, it will correct itself. If it reads 4% high on stock 215/45-17s, it will be read roughly 1% low on the 225/50-17s. :) Whew, I was wondering what you were thinking. You're the suspension guru. You can't make mistakes. :p

I read the FAQ, but sizes I am thinking about are not "approved". Why?

225/50/17 is barely bigger than stock SpecB size (~7 mm more in diameter)

I understand speedo will be off on regular LGT, but this aside, are there any downsides running such as size? actually the speedo should not be terribly of, because with stock size it shows higher than actual.

I understand they will roll more and feel mushy, but these would be winter tires and I am interested in getting some more clearance for snowy conditions.

Thoughts?

yea, because they are too tall to even fit under the stock spring perch, meaning you couldnt even mount them up to the car because the tire will hit the spring perch first.. but if you have aftermarket coilovers, you could fit them, but I cant garantee that since every application of suspension clearance is different, hence it's not approved.

Keefe

These would have only 3.5mm more in radius than stock SpecB wheel combo. People have no problems running SpecB stock on stock LGT suspension.

I guess the perch would be hit because of the width (225 vs. 215) not just diameter, I suppose?

Btw the car with these tires would either have Bilsteins or coilovers (MR for Outback). Bilstein have perch located higher wrt to the bottom of the strut, so chances are they would be okay.... methinks.

Archived