LegacyGT.com

XM radio for 2005 Outback

I recently purchased a 2005 Outback and want to have an XM radio installed. I'm told that the configuration of the electronics with the Outback radio does not allow for an XM radio to be directly connected, but that an FM modulator hookup is possible. I'm also told that the fidelity with an FM modulator arrangement won't be as good as a direct hookup. Does anyone know if Subaru plans to provide some kind of adapter that would allow a direct connection? Failing that, does anyone have any experience with the 2005 OUtback using an FM modulator connection ?

Yes, an FM modulator will allow you to create a way to get an outside audio source to the headunit.

An FM modulator will only sound as good as a strong radio station. Not great, but bearable considering there are no other easy alternatives.

Subaru will probably never create an adapter for a direct aux-in. Some very ingenious people on this forum are designing a way to hack into the headunit using their own PCB design.

For now an FM modulator is your best bet. There are many, many threads on this topic. Do a search on "FM modulator" or "XM radio". It can be a DIY installation with some time and patience.

Ken

I'm told the SEARCH button will do wonders for you Ahahahahahahahaahahahah

/evil welcome to a n00bie :lol:

search? what's that? :lol:

I've go the xm hooked up to the modulator. its pretty good. not as loud as I like, but it'll do

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

This may be the devil to XM devotees, but I have sirius using an wired FM modulator, which is indeed far better than one that just picks up the freq. over the air. You can get the same thing for XM.

I am really happy, and was pleasantly surprised at the quality I have with Sirius and the wired modulator.

Sure do, it's called the Delphi FM Direct, about $20.00. Plug your XM antenna and FM radio into this box, it blocks all FM signals to the radio when the XM unit is powered up.

Rick

The Delphi XM wired FM Modulator works VERY well. I have a MyFi in my LGT and my girlfriend has a roady 2. We both use the Wired FM Modulator because in NJ there are way to many FM stations. I have no interferance since I switched to the wired modulator.

If you havent already seen on this forum.. you will need antenna adapters.

Archived