LegacyGT.com

Xenonk's new security feature: modified my clutch switch!

Xenonk

I decided to modify the safety clutch switch for start up (ie: I dont have to push the clutch all the way down to start the car).. I substituted the clutch safety switch with a manual hand switch. The stock clutch switch is still intact but not functional to my needs anymore, so I re-routed the wiring and such so that it's hooked up to a manual hand switch that I would flip "ON" in order to start the car.. it's hidden in the car. It only took me a few minutes to do. Is there another way to bypass the clutch switch by hot-wiring or jump starting the car? Are there any loopholes I missed out by doing this?

Keefe

Keefe

Great idea and not something someone trying to steal your car would typically think of, unless thieves' skills have improved that much of late. If they jam the ignition and try to start it, they'll get nowhere unless they find your hidden switch.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Seems solid to me and there's nothing in the circuitry that bypasses an open clutch switch that I can see. BTW - PM where you hid your switch, I'll probably do this myself.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I decided to modify the safety clutch switch for start up (ie: I dont have to push the clutch all the way down to start the car).. I substituted the clutch safety switch with a manual hand switch. The stock clutch switch is still intact but not functional to my needs anymore, so I re-routed the wiring and such so that it's hooked up to a manual hand switch that I would flip "ON" in order to start the car.. it's hidden in the car. It only took me a few minutes to do. Is there another way to bypass the clutch switch by hot-wiring or jump starting the car? Are there any loopholes I missed out by doing this?

Keefe

Well, they could still pop start the car.

You could also use a switch to interrupt the fuel pump relay, but I think our special keys do that already.

In the end, they can still tow or flatbed your car away if they really want it.

...BUT THERE IS ANOTHER WAY TO STEEL YOUR RIDE!!!

My friends M3 was stolen...not because they broke in...started the car...and drove off!!! The M3 has those special keys!!!

According to neighbors, they towed it away on a flatbed!!!

CRAZY KEN

Neighbors thought nothing was wrong! Go figure!

Freak'n awesome, Did you have the wiring diagram to do this?......any hint's on wiring and such...I haven't got that far with the car yet.....but something I might do when I get the stereo project go'n.....=)

It's gonna be funny if you ever have to drop it off to the dealer, they won't know how to start the thing......aaaaahahaha

Keefe, I like your idea, but I don't see that it makes stealing the car any more difficult. With your switch, the car would have to be towed. But with the immobilizer keys, the car would have to be towed anyway...you can't even pop-start it without the immobilizer.

If you lose your keys, your car has to be flat-bedded to the dealership to have a new set of keys matched to the car's immobilizer. So in all circumstances a tow truck is needed.

-Nick

I am just taking the extra step if someone were to steal your keys to go for a joy ride or something to that nature (such as someone breaking into your gym locker or you left your keys in a bag at courtside of a basketball court while you are playing in a pick up game).. so even if there wasnt a real signs of forced entry or "breaking and entering", at least the car wont move even if the thief did have your key.

But in all else, it is true: "when someone wants your car badly enough, they'll tow it away or just strip it on the spot."

Does anyone know which type the immobilizer the GT uses? I have come to know that there are two ways that the industry use for ignition type immobilizers, one happens to be via RF receiver (which most of you know) on the key OR the key is made of some metal (non-brass) with magnetic properties that passes through the key to trigger the relays within the ignition. The key act as 2 to 4 electrical connecting points when inserted to trip the correct series of smaller relays within the ignition to start up the car, thus jamming in a screwdriver or hotwiring the car doesnt work as effective as it use to be but still doable if someone wants to actually hotwire it, but the steering column lock will still be in effect.

Keefe

Keefe

Freak'n awesome, Did you have the wiring diagram to do this?......any hint's on wiring and such...I haven't got that far with the car yet.....but something I might do when I get the stereo project go'n.....=)

It's gonna be funny if you ever have to drop it off to the dealer, they won't know how to start the thing......aaaaahahaha

Nope, no wiring diagram, just from experience with DC current eletrical wiring and thinking out loud to myself. And the dealer won't think twice of it either (especially if they see the connector harnesses are tight and the wires look "untouched" or not tampered with).

I got the idea from reading the owner's manual about "how to start up your manual tranny WRX". Of course me being "new skool" it's intuitive for me to push in the clutch to start the car. When I brought home my WRX for the first time, my dad wanted to go for a test drive. I gave him the keys and think nothing of it. He comes back in the house and said "your car won't start".. I was totally puzzled cuz my car was only 200 miles old and I JUST came home. Little that I remember, "old school" cars never had to push in the clutch to start. This new feature was introduced in the late 80s early 90s I believe for manual tranny cars for a safety reason. I guess too many people leave their cars in gears and think nothing of it when they start the car and it would hit other things.

I was also reading up on "how to bypass the clutch safety" for remote start alarms (illegal to do, but people do it anyway). So one thing lead to another and I started to think how the clutch electrical safety system works. It's all a mechanical system controlled by a push/pull-in type switch (simple mechanics, but 'stoopid' [too simple] design), not electronic. There's a contact switch that connects the safety system to complete the electrical-system once you push the clutch all the way down (not partial). So you just end up bypassing the OEM switch and rewire it with your own hand rocker switch.

What IS funny is when you hand your keys to your friend, and they go "what the?". I would tell them to get out and let me try it. I would get in the car, close the door, use slight-of-hand movement to hit the hidden switch (accessible with the hand but hidden from plain view) and say to my car "This is yo daddy, time to roll" and crank the car over.. everyone will think your car has a personality/possessed/voice recognition or something ;)

Keefe

Keefe

Rip up carpet unplug the ECU, install standalone programmed for paricular vehicle... Thats for the super techie theives :D

my mod = $0

standalone = $1200 and up

it would be easier to just unplug the ECU if you want to look it like that, but it would be EVEN easier to just pull out the main battery fuse and take it with you.

From the thieves' standpoint to steal a car electronically would be the traditional hotwiring, if you can install a turbo timer on the car, you can certainly hotwire it to make it run. Some immobilizers are a joke (please see remote start alarm installs on cars with immobilizers).

Keefe

Keefe

there are other ways to bypass the remote starter if one wishes to do it this way, but I am sure there are other safer ways to do so that the DEI manual refers to "neutral safety switch" that goes with the e-brake. Technically, it's illegal for manual cars to have remote starters. So that said, you install remote starters at your own risk.

Keefe

Keefe

Archived