LegacyGT.com

WRX style TD05H-16g and fitment v.s. VF40 rebuild 18g upgrade +porting

jfg22557

Blew my stock vf40 due to banjo bolt issues (i'm assuming) under a cobb v2 ap stage 1 ots map and am in the process of replacing it. Ive been considering the tdo5h-16g but am worried that the wrx style IC flange will pose plenty fitment issues and will be too complicated to install seeing as I'm solely an amature at heavy motor work, but am working with some good mentors. And I keep reading arguments that sometimes the wrx style turbos bolt right up and just require a few oil/coolant line adjustments. But in other situations ive heard people talking some ridiculous stuff about grinding the housing and the tranny cover or some junk like that? Whats the consensus on their fitment, specifically the td05h-16g (if anyone has had/tried installing it).

Or, the other option is, would it be possible (or even worth it) to have my blown stock IHI VF40 rebuilt by deadbolt with the monster porting, 18g wheel, and grey ceramic coating (if thats even necessary)? What would the price difference be between the turbos, if anyone has an idea? I know the tdo5h 16g's go for about $300-$500 on the marketplace, and about $600-$800 depending on what options you choose on deadbolts website.

How big would the power difference be between doing such an upgrade to the vf40 v.s. a td05h-16g? Would the td05h need new injectors/pump as well, and/or the vf40 if it has the monster porting and 18g upgrade? What other NECESSARY supporting mods would be needed for the td05h 16g to get some good numbers out of it (goal around 300whp or so for now); or the vf40 18g ported.

Just trying to figure out what route to go since my cars already been decommissioned for a week and a half.

Appreciate all the input in advance.

-Jake

I'm not answering your questions however I'm interested in the contact info for the turbo rebuilder - ph# or website.

Also, are you going to remove your new banjo bolt screens etc after your new turbo is installed?

I avoided an aftermarket turbo due to cost and mods - new injectors FMIC. RalliTek has a bolt on for $2,500 or so. A bit steep for my current situation.

Cheers,

Nick

I'm not answering your questions however I'm interested in the contact info for the turbo rebuilder - ph# or website.

Also, are you going to remove your new banjo bolt screens etc after your new turbo is installed?

I avoided an aftermarket turbo due to cost and mods - new injectors FMIC. RalliTek has a bolt on for $2,500 or so. A bit steep for my current situation.

Cheers,

Nick

1. Deadbolt's Site

2. Yes, I do plan on removing the screen from the banjo bolt on whichever turbo I endup with. Not taking the chance of anything like this happening again especially with an aftermarket unit.

3. Not too knowledgeable about the rallitek kit for $2500, but Im planning on finding the td05h16g on either nasioc or iwsti or somewhere, and using either this FMIC kit with a wrx flange, or the older version. Get some used dw 740's (if necessary), and a walbro pump (also if necessary). All together it seems like these parts even after the cost of a protune/dyno would be a good amount less expensive than the $2500 rallitek kit your referring to.

Can someone with experience with wrx style turbos and fitment, cooling, supporting mods, ect... please chime in?

-Jake

Deadbolt has been out of business for a while now.....good luck contacting them. They did however have great products and service.

It is fairly safe to say ANY turbo larger than the stock VF40 running significantly more boost than stock(+18psi or so with more than 16-17psi at redline) will REQUIRE fueling upgrades ESPECIALLY if you are at or near sea level.

this thread was pretty pointless looking back on it now after Ive done some more homework. I apologize for that, feel pretty dumb:spin:. And I did call blouch this morning, as I should've known, my blown vf40 is hopeless on the rebuild end. Kinda happy about that anyway, since the td05h16g will undoubtedly put out better numbers with 740cc dw's, a walbro pump, and a fmic with a wrx flange and possibly some jdm TGV deletes. So that'll be the route Im going, for sure. planning on making a build thread as soon as I get the ball rolling.

I'm at sealevel. When you say fuel upgrades do you simply mean higher rated fuel injectors? Does this upgrade also require "mapping" through a tuner/PC? I know how to bolt stuff on and take stuff off however I'm very limited on computer upgrades etc. Thanks for your advise.

I expect to rebuild by current turbo with some of the upgrades noted within the blouch website. I think I'm spelling that wrong.

I don't know the normal boost of the VF40. I think it's 16. Blouch sells a turbo with 16 boost. I may end up getting that one - maybe.

When you say fuel upgrades do you simply mean higher rated fuel injectors? Does this upgrade also require "mapping" through a tuner/PC?

Any fueling upgrade(upgrade = larger than stock) will require complete remapping of the ecu fueling.

Any turbo upgrade(upgrade = larger than stock) will require remapping of the ecu entirely.

It is safe to say once you start playing with the fuel and/or intake air it will require remapping.

I agree, I'd skip the 18G as well considering it only performs slightly better than the VF39, 43, 48 & 52.

Did you mean skip the 16g? Dont mean to nitpick, but Im trying to get all my info down for this build asap.

I would love to just jump to the 18, but bigger turbo = more cash. I was just planning on dropping the 16g in there for now, and bumping to a 18 after the winter (when I hopefully have some more cash to put down) since my fmic will already be suited for a wrx style flange. My goal now is around 300whp and Ive heard of a few guys achieving that with thier vf39's, injectors, fmic, and a pump. So I have to venture to say that if the td05h-16g performs even a little better than the vf39, 43, 52, ect.. then Im pretty safe in saying that I'll be able to reach my goal whp.

And not to hijack my own thread, but would I absolutely NEED a walbro 255 to support my dw 740's if I decide to stay with the 16g? Not trying skimp out, but the stock pump housing modification issues i've been hearing about are really starting to concern me.

Did you mean skip the 16g?

sorry, both the 18G & 16G I would skip. Edited my post.

And not to hijack my own thread, but would I absolutely NEED a walbro 255 to support my dw 740's if I decide to stay with the 16g?

Necessary, maybe not however fuel pressure at peak flow will be very low causing the injectors to work harder than necessary.

sorry, both the 18G & 16G I would skip. Edited my post.

Necessary, maybe not however fuel pressure at peak flow will be very low causing the injectors to work harder than necessary.

Well, for now I think I am going to stick with the 16g, just due to the sheer fact that I dont have the financial wherewithal to afford larger. Trying to keep my budget at or under $2300 or so. As for the pump issue, do you think with the 16g, I'll be putting too much stress on the dw 740's using the stock unit? Just trying to avoid screwing up modding the stock housing and ending up having to endure a potential extra $500 cost (new housing ordered from a dealership + walbro 255). I know infamous was offering a walbro in housing prefabbed deal, but I guess demand has gone down too much and he cant keep up with it, too much of a loss on his end, give the guy a hell of a lot of credit for all that he does for our community as it is.

VF-52 is stock fitment = No FMIC or STi swap required.

$2,300 is a long ways towards a new setup. You should consider a VF52 and Perrin (or AVO) TMIC. Should run you about $1,700 brand new and they drop in place of the factory stuff. I would consider fueling mods optional on this set-up and Infamous1 here on the boards can get you a nice tune for a very reasonable price.

The Blouch 18g TD05 sounds like it would suit your needs well. You will need to go with a FMIC and tune for your stock fuel system. You could also have Blouch make a Hybrid VF40 and you need NO fuel mods or an intercooler change.

FYI, I've been running a Blouch hybrid for 60,000+ miles. It's been reliable it makes decent power for a daily driver.

VF-52 is stock fitment = No FMIC or STi swap required.

$2,300 is a long ways towards a new setup. You should consider a VF52 and Perrin (or AVO) TMIC. Should run you about $1,700 brand new and they drop in place of the factory stuff. I would consider fueling mods optional on this set-up and Infamous1 here on the boards can get you a nice tune for a very reasonable price.

Once again, me being lazy and not doing my homework on this stuff. Totally forgot the 09 wrx's (08's as well im assuming) vf52's were legacy fitting. But I'd have to think that the vf52 even with a fresh Perrin or AVO tmic and a good tune wouldnt push out the same numbers as a tdo5h 16g with a fmic, 740cc dw's, and possibly a walbro fp with a good tune as well.

Just out of curiosity, how does the compressor housing/wheel size of the vf52 compare to that of the td05h-16g, 18g? Dyno number comparisons?

(goes back to search bar...:rolleyes:)

Did you mean skip the 16g? Dont mean to nitpick, but Im trying to get all my info down for this build asap.

I would love to just jump to the 18, but bigger turbo = more cash. I was just planning on dropping the 16g in there for now, and bumping to a 18 after the winter (when I hopefully have some more cash to put down) since my fmic will already be suited for a wrx style flange. My goal now is around 300whp and Ive heard of a few guys achieving that with thier vf39's, injectors, fmic, and a pump. So I have to venture to say that if the td05h-16g performs even a little better than the vf39, 43, 52, ect.. then Im pretty safe in saying that I'll be able to reach my goal whp.

And not to hijack my own thread, but would I absolutely NEED a walbro 255 to support my dw 740's if I decide to stay with the 16g? Not trying skimp out, but the stock pump housing modification issues i've been hearing about are really starting to concern me.

If you plan on spending more money after winter on the 18g, then dont waste your time buying a brand new 16g. Save your $650+ and buy a 39 to get you through the winter (they can be found all over for under 350). You can run the 39 with your fmic without changing your fuel system until after winter.

The Blouch 18g TD05 sounds like it would suit your needs well. You will need to go with a FMIC and tune for your stock fuel system. You could also have Blouch make a Hybrid VF40 and you need NO fuel mods or an intercooler change.

FYI, I've been running a Blouch hybrid for 60,000+ miles. It's been reliable it makes decent power for a daily driver.

As I said before, I'd love to go with the td05h-18g, but im not sure if I can just yet due to my monetary limitations. But, stock fuel system? Dont really think even the best pro tuner could get an 18g turbo running at peak performance numbers with stock injectors and pump. And as for the hybrid work done by blouch on IHI turbos, that option was already ruled out earlier when I posted about my conversation with one of the blouch rep's this morning about my blown vf40 I was considering doing a hybrid rebuild on. End result, blown = unrebuildable, IHI = not too reliable. Dont really want to go back to ihi anyway if I can avoid it, thats why i dont really know if i'd even consider going the vf52 route at this moment either.

Found a pretty good package deal for a vf34, X02 fmic, walbro with housing, and 740cc dw's fairly local to me. Thinking this may be a good way to go for now seeing at the vf34 has a wrx flange (correct?), so I'll be ready for the td05h-18g after the winter. But my only concern here, and its kind of a stupid one:rolleyes:, is that the x02 kills the fogs. But still open to more suggestions.

Small 16G and VF39/VF43/VF48/VF52 will all perform very similarly.

I would take an EVOIII 16G over an 18G any day of the week.

If you are thinking of spending 18G monies and going to a front mount intercooler, then you should look very closely at the Forced Performance HTA68. It will spool as fast as the VF-series turbos and offer more power potential than anything else mentioned in this thread so far. They are $900, but tough to get right now.

If I were you, living in NY, facing Winter: Buy a used VF40. Piece meal your upgrade together over the winter when you find good deals and slap it all on in the Spring. We should be seeing a couple of new inexpensive FMIC options, there is a new turbo vendor coming on board and Forced Performance should be coming out with some new options...

As I said before, I'd love to go with the td05h-18g, but im not sure if I can just yet due to my monetary limitations. But, stock fuel system? Dont really think even the best pro tuner could get an 18g turbo running at peak performance numbers with stock injectors and pump. And as for the hybrid work done by blouch on IHI turbos, that option was already ruled out earlier when I posted about my conversation with one of the blouch rep's this morning about my blown vf40 I was considering doing a hybrid rebuild on. End result, blown = unrebuildable, IHI = not too reliable. Dont really want to go back to ihi anyway if I can avoid it, thats why i dont really know if i'd even consider going the vf52 route at this moment either.

You could put an FP Green on there with the stock fuel system, it's just how you tune it. :)

I have to admit I'm not a big fan of IHI turbos either. My next one will be a Mitsu or a Garrett. (Believe it or not, I've been trying to blow up this hybrid and it just keeps going strong:confused:) I still feel the TD05 is a good choice for you. You can easily tune for it now and there will be alot left in it when you deciede to upgrade the fuel system.

Archived