LegacyGT.com

WRX to Legacy convert

Taking nothing away from my WRX, this legacy is a great car. But before I can tell you how great, I feel I must give some homage to my late, great WR Blue WRX. She sits in a used car lot somewhere, but I will miss her. She has a Turbo XS stealthback exhaust, Prodrive muffler, and Stage 1 Unichip. She was using aftermarket Silicone Intercooler hoses, and a sweet set of legacy B4 17" Rims on Yokohama ES100's. The larger rear sway bar in the back finished off the suspension, and kartbody and MOMO took care of the shifting. She was probably putting out close to 280 at the crank, and pulled like a fighter jet when the turbo spooled north of 17 psi. That car gave my 3 flawless years of service, through autocrosses and through many a show of force on the way to work and just for kicks. When a car can make you smile as much as that one did, its no wonder I am willing to move to something in the family. Enter my 5sp Legacy GT Limited. Black and Tan (much like a great beer). My impressions are as follows: The first time they pulled it around from the back of the dealership all prepped and ready to go. It was a sobering moment moving my stuff from one trusty stallion to this newcomer. My old car looked at me with a black stare (02 bugeye model, they often look wide-eyed) as if to ask me, what did I do. The black legacy just stared back with a menacing prescence and an excitement like is reign is about to begin. The car has a great stance, and while some would say its wheel gap is horrible, coming from a WRX, its rather palatable. My Legacy is slated to have a rear spoiler on it, but at the time of delivery, it was still on order. The car is audiesque in stance and look. Very solid and seemingly indestructable. Moving the few nick nacks from one car to the other I first noticed how much heavier the doors are in the Legacy. They are study and shut with almost Camary solidity. The fit and finish in the legacy is simply worlds apart of the WRX. Where the WRX was adequate, the legacy is in another plane of existance. The seats are good in the WRX, very good side bolstering is evidient where the Legacy seems a bit shy in comparison, but the adjustability just about makes up for anything. You do sit higher in the Legacy than the WRX and at first I felt exposed and open to everything. This quickly fades as the additional height grants you superior visibility. All items moved and my blue rocket is taken away, I find myself in the seat of this Black Beast. The first thing I noticed upon start of the key is of course the 'dance' of the instruments. No need to go into those in much detail, as we all think its 'cooooool'. But the feel of the instruments are solid, the buttons move in and out solidly, with a definite start and stop to its motions. the dual zone climate control is a nice touch and I am sure it will prove handy with my girlfriend and I. Put the car into gear and the shift lever talks to me for the first time. I have driven countless standards and this one left me thinking a myriad of things. First compared to my Kartboy shifter, the throw is smooth. Very easy to get into first and reverse as needed. The throws are not long, but they do feel like I have to row the gears. The more I drive I think this feel is more of a resultant of the length of the shift lever, than any fault of the gearbox. The steering is heavy at slow speeds, and feels of quality. I cannot yet determine if its box is faster or slower than the WRX. Its close. But I find that both feel slower than my girlfriends Mazda 3. Driving the Legacy is a joy. Not being able to rev it beyond 4k is not! Its still very apparent that this lump has some torque that was unknown to the 2.0 liter in the Legacies baby brother. Its ability to move you at the slightest request of the right foot, seems like you have an endless amount of power on tap. The 1000 mile break in cannot end soon enough. The WRX had so much power on tap at mid to high RPM that I am looking forward to seeing what the Legacy can do. You have to learn to drive a WRX well. You have to learn to not slam the throttle to the ground but rather roll it to the floor to allow the exhaust gasses to maintain highest possible velocity. The Legacy seems far less picky. It seems more willng to make the most of the boost at all RPM. Handling is still a tough one to consider. I know how bad the RE92's are. they lasted exaclty 45 minutes on my WRX. I am amazed at how well the suspension of the GT is with this sub-par rubber. The car is amazingly neutral for an AWD car. The body roll is evident, but not embarrashingly so. Still it will need some attention. The brakes are as good as they can be with these tires. They are not much to brag about in terms of initial bite, but they seem up to the job. I will hold off my judgement until I can get some better rubber on. We all know TIRES ARE EVERYTHING. Thats it for now. 490 miles on the ticker and I am looking for reasons to drive places again. I have made the statement to my friends who questioned why I would get rid of a car that I loved so much as my WRX. Well, I can confidently tell them that this car is 80% of my modded WRX right out of the box in terms of acceleration and handling, and is worlds about in comfort and fit and finish. It will only take some minor messaging to get this GT in a league of its own. I am VERY happy to have found KING OF IMPORTS and they seem poised to capture much of my money. Selling OEM subaru body parts that come painted in our color to our door, is the magic that made the WRX so easy to make look like a million bucks. I am looking forward to any USDM Legacy GT's with these front lips/side skirts/rear valence on them. Thanks for listening to my rant. I am sure more is to come. But for now I think I need to run to the grocery store, for.....um.....something!

Welcome, Scrappy. I am also a WRX to Legacy convert, and don't miss anything about the car except the STi pink bits at the rear, but STi makes such things for the Legacy if I am so inclined. Kevin

I have had Toyo T1-S's, Kumho Ecsta 712's, Yokohama AVS Intermediates, and Yokohama ES100's. Out of all those tires, the Toyo's really made me happy. They stuck very well, and wore well above average. I have never tried a Pirelli product, and I may go that route. The Kumhos were like riding on concrete, but they had great initial turn in. But had issues holding it mid corner... The ES100's had softer turn in, but gripped in mid corner quite well. The ride was considerably better with the yokes. The AVS Intermediates were one of the first tires I have ever had on my RS. They were noisy and did not wear that long, but did stick like glue. The ES100's were easy to live with, and are reasonably prices. I think I may try some Bridgestone RE750's next. They get good reviews on tirerack and for the most part seem to be loved by all that try them. I am just leary to buy anything until I figure out if I want to go 18 or 17. SCRAPPYDO

I'm a wrx to legacy convert. The legacy is an awesome car. I think it handles a lot beter that my wrx did because it has the torque to power the corners and the steering is dead accurate. Very awesome car. I'll miss the wrx but the legacy is a very good upgrade.

OK - here is the comparison between my 02WRX and 05LGT that I posted on another site. I must say that since that post, I have not regretted the move, though Scrappydo's post really resonated with me. I felt really bad leaving my WRX at the dealership. Unlike him, I DO look back though, particularly when cornering and braking. But these are DIFFERENT cars. I love my LGT, would not trade it back for my WRX...but I do miss the WRX's braking and cornering. Here's the post: Talk about timing. Just came across this thread...and just traded my 02 WRX for an 05 Legacy GT Ltd. It was either that or go with a TurboXS or Vishnu mod on the WRX. I have been ruminating, and second guessing the decision only because I loved the WRX. But as someone else stated, this GT is a different car. Just as fast, maybe faster than the WRX (Car and Driver had the GT at 5.7 secs 0-60 – Road and Track had it at 5.6). Much more luxurious inside, better looking outside (IMHO), and a much softer, quieter and more refined ride than the WRX. Also, turbo lag is minimal and almost indistinguishable in the GT with the 5-speed (especially if you are used to driving a WRX) , much less so than what it was in the 02 WRX (not sure about other WRX model years). But, the WRX corners and brakes better and the steering is more precise (again, see Car and Driver/R&T testing on the GT...braking and skidpad results were disappointing...personally, I feel more body roll and soft cornering...though some of that are those darn Potenza RE-92s ). Not that the GT is bad, just different. Personally, I was ready to give up the boy-racer car for the luxury of the GT (without sacrificing the speed). And as someone said on another site, the GT is an "adult's WRX". I still wonder if I should have done mods on my WRX and held off on a GT purchase for a few years. In fact, before I bought my white GT, I even thought about painting my WRX white so it would look more like the GT I was considering buying. But, I was tired of that chintzy WRX interior and the bug-eye look of the 02 . I also tired of the turbo lag and how the car got blown around on the highway (a little-reported fact - yes, if there is a strong wind and you are running on the highway, steering becomes a challenge - it was the worst car I have EVER had as far as that is concerned... and remember I LOVED the car). I have driven this GT like my WRX and it is fun. Just not quite as much fun. But then I look around me and see the leather etc. and I think maybe, just maybe that I have grown up. I AM an adult. And then I wonder, just how much fun is that? And yes, I considered the STI. Just couldn't get past the spoiler and interior. After all, I AM grown up. So, in the end, I said "Give me the leather". Perhaps there may be GT mods to be had. With improved suspension and braking, I might have my boy-racer back...just disguised.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Hang on there, emlevins...I had the SPT suspension kit on my WRX, along with the STi rear links package and Cusco front lower brace. For the brakes, I had the Subaru 4-pots, with Goodridge lines and SuperBlue fluid. And guess what? The Legacy brakes and handles better. The quicker rack, that is also more rigid and eliminates kickback, coupled with the multi-link rear setup, means that I am going faster in corners with the GT than I was in the WRX. And braking isn't even a contest. With the same wheels and tires, the Legacy brakes a whole lot better. There's nothing like gaining an inch of rotor all the way 'round to improve brake torque. Now, because the Legacy is so quiet and comfortable, people are often seduced into thinking that it doesn't work as well as it does. But when I got back in my WRX after driving a GT, I thought two things: What a piece of crap (referencing the interior, fit and finish). Man, this lag is crazy (referencing the very different driveability characteristics of the two cars). The WRX was a very direct car, that was also noisy, and kind of rough, so you were always feeling as if you had the bit in your teeth, even when you didn't. The Legacy isn't that kind of car at all. With classical music on the CD player, you barely hear the engine, and you're going 90 mph before you know it. :D Kevin

Hang on there gtguy. Compare Car mag testing on stock versions of the WRX and LGT and you'll find that in braking tests (60-0), the LGT takes longer to stop (about 12 ft more as I remember). And check out skidpad results and the LGT pulls .79 (R&T)-.81 (C&D) g's vs .86 or .88 (don't remember for sure) for the WRX. Now, I know the LGT is a bit bigger and heavier . My point is only that if you have been driving a stock WRX for three years and switch to an LGT, you FEEL the difference. Well, at least I feel the difference. It is a different driving experience. And yes, as you suggest, the LGT is quieter and smoother...one of the things I like about it. And I agree with you about the WRX's interior, lag, and noise. It's one of the reasons I made the move. And driveability, which is related to the lag. I got sick of having nothing in first gear. The LGT really launches in first...fun, fun, fun. It was one of the things that most impressed me and was the biggest difference I initially noticed between the two cars. Like you, it was what struck me after test driving the LGT and then getting in my WRX for the ride home!

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Congrats Scrappy and a BIG texas hello to you. Hope Texas kicks the crap out of Oklahoma this Saturday. Loved your take. Looking back, I think it was your man Lance Armstrong and his Subie commercials that got me interested in this fine ride. Enjoy!!!

[quote name='emlevins']Hang on there gtguy. Compare Car mag testing on stock versions of the WRX and LGT and you'll find that in braking tests (60-0), the LGT takes longer to stop (about 12 ft more as I remember). And check out skidpad results and the LGT pulls .79 (R&T)-.81 (C&D) g's vs .86 or .88 (don't remember for sure) for the WRX. Now, I know the LGT is a bit bigger and heavier . My point is only that if you have been driving a stock WRX for three years and switch to an LGT, you FEEL the difference. Well, at least I feel the difference. It is a different driving experience. And yes, as you suggest, the LGT is quieter and smoother...one of the things I like about it. And I agree with you about the WRX's interior, lag, and noise. It's one of the reasons I made the move. And driveability, which is related to the lag. I got sick of having nothing in first gear. The LGT really launches in first...fun, fun, fun. It was one of the things that most impressed me and was the biggest difference I initially noticed between the two cars. Like you, it was what struck me after test driving the LGT and then getting in my WRX for the ride home![/quote] I know the WRX has gotten better numbers, then again, it's hard to know where in the national string a magazine is. This is why I like Consumer Reports for hard data such as braking distance, etc, because they buy a car to test. For instance, Car & Driver had the LGT stopping in a significantly longer distance than the TSX/Volvo/Audi A4. CR's test had the LGT with only a 4-foot stopping distance increase. So somebody might have gotten a beat-to-hell LGT, or the WRX might have been a ringer. Nobody has gotten a time as fast as C&D did for their WRX, for example. That's why I related my real-world experience with an LGT and modded WRX in the same environment, same wheels and tires, same crazy driver. :lol: Kevin

I thought I would post an update since it seems I stirred up the pot. I have to agree with both of you..(how very John Kerry of me :D ). The legacy is quite the smooth handling character. The steering is dead tight. I find myself constantly searching for direct comparisons between these two cars. Its really quite hard. Not because they are so much different, but because they are so much alike. It will be very hard to notice any drastic changes in performance. What makes this exceptional is that my car had Yokohama ES100's on 17" rims and a much larger rear sway bar. The Legacy does exhibit more body roll, but I honestly dont believe its absolute limits are that much off the WRX with the stock RE92's. This is a big point to me as to how little its going to take to get this car beyond where the WRX was. Very impressive indeed. Braking. With 600 miles on the clock its getting better. The pedal is firming up nicely as is the bed in to the pads. Stopping is getting more solid and less vague as we get good contact between pad and rotor. I still refuse to pass judgement until I get a good set of tires on on the GT. The interior continues to impress, every time I get in the car I am greeting with sophistication and comfort. I hate to sound like a BMW guy, but there may be something to this luxery performance car thinnnnnnng. I got the rear spoiler attached to my car and I have never been happier. Its a very nice touch, and finishes off the rear end perfeclty. The only problem I have now is that I must start saving money for those BBS rims that make the car look so very mean. SCRAPPYDO Stephen

Nice write up Scrappy. I'm also a former WRX owner thinking of making the switch. The only thing that concerns me about the Legacy at this point are the brakes. I know the crappy RE92s have something to do with it. But my wife's BMW also sits on all-season tires and pedal feel and braking response is considerably better than the Legacy. The RE92s were the first thing to go on my WRX. And while the stickier rubber did help, I was never convinced that the stock Subaru brakes were up to par. Oh well, I guess that's why the aftermarket is there. :wink:

in the past year and a half, i've owned a WRX wagon, an STi (04 model, not the uprated 05 model), a forester turbo and now the Legacy GT. i understand the appeal of the wrx for a lot of people, but this is by far the best subaru that i have owned in the past year and a half. i think the impreza rear suspension stinks, even in STi form it's not up to snuff. while the brakes on the STi and the shifter were the best, i find that the brake feel is excellent in the legacy and the midrange torque is nice. up top is a lotta nothing, but i can live with that as this is my daily driver. i have no idea how anyone who seriously drove their WRX at the limits of adhesion could say, even with aftermarket parts, that it handles "better" than the multilink rear setup of the legacy GT. the rear strut setup with trailing arms needs to be addressed in the next generation impreza for sure. i also feel that my world improved enormously when i got the legacy "improved" transmission that does not get notchy when hot and i never thought the OEM brakes on the WRX were that special to be honest with you. there is a lot that could be improved on the legacy in GT trim, but it's a quantum leap ahead of where the WRX resides in both amenities and performance and performance potential.

I traded in my 02 WRX last night and pulled away in my new White LGT... I wasnt even off the lot yet when this guy saw the two cars parked next to each other and couldnt resist stopping in... I gave him the scoop on the old WRX.. I told him how I babied her and about all the good times we had... like that time in the snow 2 years ago when we went to the mall parking lot and did donuts...oh oh and that time when we were doing about 75 down this back road and caught major air off this hill then went back and did it again and again (somthing I wont dream of doing in the Legacy) WHAT THE HELL HAVE I DONE!!!!! :cry: Oh yeah...grown up.. the LGT is a big boys WRX.. I'll be honest... I love the new LGT however, I will miss tossing around the WRX care free. Taking corners at blistering speed thorwing it over speed bumps w/ out care.. driving 50mph down my friends long a** un paved drive way. Anyway.. the new LGT is bad ass and I cant wait for 1000k mi... Peace love and Turbo grease!

Okay black Legacy, as one black Legacy GT owner to another... I have to say this... That is the coolest cat I have ever seen. If you have a larger version of that I would love to have it. I just cant look at that without laughing my butt off! SCRAPPYDO stephen

Sorry for reviving old thread, but here's another Texas WRX->GT convert. Picked up the car a week ago, and put about 600 miles over backroads in Louisiana over the weekend. I moved my 18" P1 with Kumho MX from my blue WRX to the GT, so I can directly compare the handling of the two. I've done about 7-8 track events with the WRX, (and will go to Barber next month in the GT), so I do know about the handling of the WRX with stock suspension a little bit. In this regard, I have to agree with Kevin (gtguy), lemming, and others that the rear suspension of the GT does seem more advanced, especially in high-speed turns. Body roll also seem less. I could regularly got the Kumho MX to howl on street corners on the WRX, but so far haven't heard it on the GT. The seating position of the GT is higher, so that may make some WRX owners feel it's leaning more, but I think the reverse is true. The WRX probably is tuned more for long suspension travel, and I really wouldn't do rally-x in the GT, but the GT is in my opinion better suited for track driving than the WRX. Another great thing about the suspension is the lack of lift. The WRX is infamous for its pitch-up during acceleration. That's much reduced in the GT. I don't know yet how that will play out on a racetrack, as on the WRX one can use that "feature" to control weight distribution by using the throttle, but the GT is more comfortable in that regard - especially for the passengers. I really love the quick steering ratio and the small wheel on the GT. However, it does seem a little over-heavy, especially with the 18" MX, and a little less communicative than the WRX. But not a big deal. I really haven't tested the brakes yet, but more than once I do find that the GT's brakes lack initial bite. For public road driving, tires is what matters when it comes to braking, not the brakes themselves. Stock to stock, the WRX tires are about 5% narrower (205 vs 215), but the car weighs about 7% less (3085 vs 3300), so maybe that makes the difference, or maybe not. The real test, to me, will come on the track. The WRX really is under-braked, and the GT's are significantly larger (plus ventilated rears), so hopefully that will help. [My WRX did have SS-lined brake-lines, so maybe that explains part of the feel difference.] -Ray

Archived