LegacyGT.com

What would you do? Stock wheels or winter tires?

IwannaSportSedan

What should I do about winter tires and wheels?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do about winter tires and wheels?

• Take the wheels, USE the wheels.
    • Sell the wheels, buy different later.
    • Sell the wheels, take the snows, buy rims for them later
    • let subastyle buyback, and buy different later.

OK...

I am a little undecided here.

I just bought subastyle's car, which comes with two sets of wheels, summer 18"s mounted on the car now, and OE wheels with taller than OE all season tires. I am not sure what to do with the OE wheels and all seasons... and NYtoVT wants them, and is right there to get them.

Option 1:

Keep the wheels and tires, throw them in the trunk and the back seat for 1200 miles, along with a bunch of other OE stuff, and luggage. Use them in the winter.

Option 2:

Sell them to NYtoVT, who has offered to buy them. He has offered $500 for the OE set of wheels and mounted tires. Take $500 and add more cash (~300, probably.), and buy some 17" aftermarket or used wheels, and new snow tires, and have them shipped to me later.

Option 2b:

Same, but take half the cash, and a set of 225/45-17 Semperit Sport Grip snow tires without wheels, and still have to transport them. Add some more cash to the $250 cash, and buy some cheap aftermarket wheels when I get home. Probably an additional 200$.

Option 3:

Let Subastyle buy back the wheels for about 200$ off the price of the car. Be without a second set of wheels. I like subastyle, and I am really happy to be getting the car, but the summer tires aren't going to cut it this winter... so this is the least attractive option...

Feel free to offer constructive comments or suggestions. But please make it quick, because this deal is going down some way or another on thursday night, and I am driving the car back friday-sunday.

What kind of AS tires are on the OE wheels? If it's not something decent in the snow I would go with option 2 and get a set of decent tires for the winter. I assume you are in VT or somewhere around there? I went to school at Troy, NY and IIRC the winter up there was a b*tch.

Dude, my advice (if you know me you already know what I'm going to say =)

Several options here, but the most recommended is to end up running both summer and winter wheel/tire sets:

(1) Keep the 18's. Get rid of this wheel/tire combo due to the not so good a/s tires as a winter choice. Purchase here on LGT.com a set of wheels from some other guy and put winter rubber on. This only makes sense if you can get more for this set of 17's with the a/s tire on them than you will pay for your next set of stock rims. No, don't forget that the 17 inch Saabaru BBS RK wheels can still be had for ~ $110 or so each from Charles river saab. This is my summer wheel but could be your winter wheel.

(2) Keep the 18's, run them in summer. You'll never regret this. (btw, what tire is this 18? Any good? If it's crap, you have other options). Keep the stock wheels but ditch the A/S rubber for as much as you can get for the tires. Buy a winter tire - maybe the michelin X-ice (cheap and great snow/ice tire) or one of several winter (not snow) tires.

(3) If the summer tires are not good, keep the a/s 17's and look into purchasing a summer set up. This is least recommended since these will not be a good winter choice. You are better off living with a relatively poor summer tire choice for a few years than living with a relatively poor winter tire for a few years. Summers usually wear out faster than winters, too. =) The good part about this option is you choose your summer wheel - you can go back down to a 17 if you want.

Any questions?

Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS ! :spin::spin::spin:

Enjoy that car.

Sell the 18's to me for a rock bottom price....no need for the tires.....just the rims:):)

Stockers + winter tires

Purchase the new Prodrives in Bronze thew are very light for a 18x8" wheel........around 15lbs

There you go, just what you needed, another option:eek:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

sell them, order exactly what you want.

+2 In fact, sell both sets, and then make the car your own: no sloppy subastyle seconds. :lol:

Zee artist should alvays start with zee fresh canvas.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I voted for option one, keep the 18s for the summer and use the oe wheels and all season tires for the winter.

I'm not sure where you live and how bad your winters are, if it came up earlier in this post then shame on me for missing it. But unless your winters are horrible, I'd say if you are careful you can certainly make it through a winter on all season tires. Once the winter is over, you can evaluate how horrible those tires are in the snow. If they are really bad, sell them in 5 or so months and then you can mount snow tires on them for next year.

Either way, right now you have summer and winter wheels. The uncertainty is how the allseasons will be in the winter. Test em out and see. JMHO

Couple things to sonsider:

BBK for the front. Will you ever do, if so not all clear OEM 17s.

Winter tires are waaaaaay better then AS tires.

OEM 17s are reasonably light, well made, easy to wash in winter and have a high (like 51 or more positive offset). having the wheels tucked in the fenders keeps your vehicle a lot cleaner in the snow and protects against small rocks in areas where they sand the roads. Also keeps it a lot cleaner, especially if they salt a lot. Very few aftermarket wheels (especially ones that are not too expensive) have that high of a positive offset.

Winter tires are waaaaaay better then AS tires.

Depends on where you live, man. Here in Detroit it's cold but it's also flat, we don't get that much snow, and the road crews are usually out clearing (and salting) like crazy. There's only like 2-3 days a year where I think I'd actually benefit from snows. The other six months of winter the roads are just cold&wet, so I think A/S tires are the right choice for me. (I've got GS-D3's for the other six months.) But hey, I might try one of the sportier winter tires next time, just to check them out.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Archived