LegacyGT.com

Is it worth getting my 97 Subaru Legacy serviced/repaired at a dealership? If not, wh

I've always had my Subaru Legacy repaired/serviced at a dealership. My concerns that regular auto repair shop may not always have the best parts and/or best expertise in servicing Subarus since they're not as common as other cars.

Is it worth continuing to get my car serviced there? Or will any place will do? If it helps, I am in the California Northern Bay Area.

It's called a stealership for a reason. The "master" mech at my stealership is pretty much worthless and sadly I know more than him, and that is pretty sad.

Read through the forums, do most of the work yourself. Otherwise research and find a private mech that knows Subaru's. What part of NorCal? I know some others can chime in for recommendations.

Ol' gimpy is right. The best mechanics leave and start up their own shops usually. "master techs" move from dealer to dealer, manufacturer to manufacturer, looking for money. Most don't really care about the car (passionate). A local shop that specializes in Subarus is where it's at.

A "master tech" (I only went to start the oil consumption test) did my 30k service and over filled my oil and screwed up my brake bleed. When they put the new block in he "forgot" to tighten a pulley.

I know there is a Subaru tuner in Hayward, though you prob don't want to go there for some basic service. I would try posting this in the regional forums and ask for a shop recommendation. I don't know how many people will read this post here.

I always prefer a local Subaru turner shop over the dealership, especially after the warranty is up. Once the warranty is gone, you'll never see me at a dealership. Look into LIC Motorsports in Novato or just Google Subaru turners in the San Francisco area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived