LegacyGT.com

WORST buying experience

I just had the worst buying experience I've ever had buying a car. Yesterday, I called Dulles Jeep and Subaru in Sterling, Virginia. They offered a 2005 Legacy GT Limited Sedan with Spoiler, Auto-dimming/mirror, security system upgrade, automatic for $27847. Great deal. I tell them, OK, I will be buying on Friday. Today I call to ask about the spoiler. Now the deal is off, and they want $1000 deposit on the car. No, but thanks! A Dulles Jeep sales manager named Mario Alvarez called me back, and clearly did not want to work with me. He starts calling me "Boy" and ends up with one last "Go somewhere else, boy" and hangs up on me. In this day and age, I can not understand how anyone can think they can call a minority a "boy" and get away with it.

I forgot to add - I have called and left voicemails with several Subaru of America PR employees. That all said - does anyone know an honest dealer in Northern Virginia? So far, Iris at Herb Gordon in MD has told me that Legacy GT Limited do not come in Silver, and that I must be mistaken; another dealer has quoted me OVER the sticker price....

too bad you can't come up to northern n.j. i bought my foutrh car from liberty subaru in oradell. they are never pushy and are willing to let you drive any car. the new legacy's are sticker minus 1500 and they are the number one seller in the state. the service department is always reliable and they work with you. good luck finding a dealership.

[quote name='Driver72'][quote name='Mindflayer'] In this day and age, I can not understand how anyone can think they can call a minority a "boy" and get away with it.[/quote] Why do you have to bring race into it? How would he know you are a minority unless you told him? And then you'd just be playing the race card. This is becoming all too typical. [/quote] Because he met me? Have you ever dealt with racism? That's my point - HE brought race into this. [quote name='Driver72'] Did you really expect the sales manager to "hold" a car for until Friday, when you just agree to it on the phone on Tuesday? [/quote] When he says he will, since the transfer won't arrive until late Thursday or Friday, yes, I do. [quote name='Driver72'] The fact you weren't willing to give a $1000 hold told him you weren't serious, and that is the reason he called you a boy. You were jerking him around. If I was in his shoes I would of done the same. Please....yeah I'll hold a car for you for 3 days just on your word? Yeah sure buddy!! Grow up and lose the "woe is me I'm a minority" attitude. Too many carry this attitude around in "this day and age." [/quote] Bah, at this point, I am going to ignore you. I don't believe in the "Woe is me" minority game - and in this area, Hispanics ARE a majority in many communities. I can tell you are white - you think that minorities are all whiners and not racist. For the rest of you - Tom at Stohlman (who based on name sis Hispanic, for the white guy here that seems to care) has been a JOY to work with tonight. Even referred me to another dealership in case I opt for the car sans spoiler.

I had a bad experience at my local subie dealer too. We'd been talkin to them for a while and lookin, but I won't be gettin a new car til time for college next summer (which they knew). So me and mom were lookin at a wrx one day and ask to test drive and they ask us to come inside first. To make a long story short, all they asked was what they could do to earn our business THAT DAY and when they finally understood what we were saying they just said alright and walked off, me and mom still sitting in the office!! I came back with dad a week or two later to show him the wrx and they let us drive that and an LGT, which is the day I changed my mind.:) They still most likely won't be gettin our business though.

[quote name='Mindflayer'][quote name='Driver72'][quote name='Mindflayer'] In this day and age, I can not understand how anyone can think they can call a minority a "boy" and get away with it.[/quote] Why do you have to bring race into it? How would he know you are a minority unless you told him? And then you'd just be playing the race card. This is becoming all too typical. [/quote] Because he met me? Have you ever dealt with racism? That's my point - HE brought race into this. [quote name='Driver72'] Did you really expect the sales manager to "hold" a car for until Friday, when you just agree to it on the phone on Tuesday? [/quote] When he says he will, since the transfer won't arrive until late Thursday or Friday, yes, I do. [quote name='Driver72'] The fact you weren't willing to give a $1000 hold told him you weren't serious, and that is the reason he called you a boy. You were jerking him around. If I was in his shoes I would of done the same. Please....yeah I'll hold a car for you for 3 days just on your word? Yeah sure buddy!! Grow up and lose the "woe is me I'm a minority" attitude. Too many carry this attitude around in "this day and age." [/quote] Bah, at this point, I am going to ignore you. I don't believe in the "Woe is me" minority game - and in this area, Hispanics ARE a majority in many communities. I can tell you are white - you think that minorities are all whiners and not racist. For the rest of you - Tom at Stohlman (who based on name sis Hispanic, for the white guy here that seems to care) has been a JOY to work with tonight. Even referred me to another dealership in case I opt for the car sans spoiler.[/quote] You said in your original post that you CALLED not that he met you! And see there you go, assuming I'm "white." And you are correct about one thing, most "minorities" are just as "racist" as any "majority" Actually, in my experience, more "minorities" are racist against other "minorities" than anything else. I'm married to a hispanic, and even she gets tired of "minorities" using the fact they are "minorities" to get things. The sales manager was obviously hispanic and you must not be (maybe African American). But the point being is YOU still blamed the whole "boy" thing on race. Did he call you a racial slur? Not that you mentioned. If he did, rest assured I am POSITIVE you would have mentioned that. So the FACT remains, he called you a "boy" and you come on this forum and claim that's a "racial" thing. So it was obviously YOU who brought race into the whole thing. So I say again, grow up and stop the "woe is me, I'm being treated bad because I'm a minority" routine!!

[quote name='Driver72'] You said in your original post that you CALLED not that he met you! And see there you go, assuming I'm "white." And you are correct about one thing, most "minorities" are just as "racist" as any "majority" Actually, in my experience, more "minorities" are racist against other "minorities" than anything else. I'm married to a hispanic, and even she gets tired of "minorities" using the fact they are "minorities" to get things. The sales manager was obviously hispanic and you must not be (maybe African American). But the point being is YOU still blamed the whole "boy" thing on race. Did he call you a racial slur? Not that you mentioned. If he did, rest assured I am POSITIVE you would have mentioned that. So the FACT remains, he called you a "boy" and you come on this forum and claim that's a "racial" thing. So it was obviously YOU who brought race into the whole thing. So I say again, grow up and stop the "woe is me, I'm being treated bad because I'm a minority" routine!![/quote] Who stole the jam out of your doughnut today? Why don't you try to keep the posts to cars and keep flaming others to other forums.

I'm also very sorry to hear about that! Racist or not, the term "boy" is degrading and unprofessional. We are the customers and they don't operate without our money. I hate the whole dealer "entitlement" attitude and I certainly wouldn't expect it from a Subie place. Too bad you aren't near Colorado; I'd guide you towards Shortline, a very reputable dealer. The greatest revenge is taking your money elsewhere!

[quote/]Who stole the jam out of your doughnut today? Why don't you try to keep the posts to cars and keep flaming others to other forums.[/quote] Nobody is flaming here! He pulled out the race card in his anger about being called a "boy" I didn't think it necessary and it's wrong for him to say he was called a "boy" because he was a minority. That's absurd. Next he'll be saying the next time someone calls him "kid" that they are a racist and should be lynched. The dealer's attitude was wrong, but he is just as wrong for playing the race card after being called something that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with race. And he is more wrong for putting the guys name on a public forum labelling him, or at least implying the guy is racist just because he called him a "boy." Business all over the world often don't treat customers the greatest all the time, but if the worst a business rep calls a customer is a "boy" we'd all be just fine. But if every yahoo that gets called a "boy" starts throwing the race card around and implying they are racists for calling someone a "boy" we are all in a world of hurt. He needs to get over the fact he was called a "boy" and treated a bit poorly. When he grows up and wakes up he's going to realize that will happen to him MANY, MANY more times in life. He can't go listing those peoples names on a website forum and calling them racists each time he feels he wasn't treated like a king!

Try Fitzgerald on Rockville Pike in Kensington MD, just off the beltway. I got my OB XT for invoice there 3 weeks ago, no haggling. They know how to work with out of state VA/DC buyers. You can view their inventory at [url]www.fitzmall.com[/url]. They are open 7 days a week. My salesman was Hossein Zahedi, and he was excellent to work with. Very nice guy. Craig

[quote name='"Driver72"'] The fact you weren't willing to give a $1000 hold told him you weren't serious, and that is the reason he called you a boy. You were jerking him around. If I was in his shoes I would of done the same. Please....yeah I'll hold a car for you for 3 days just on your word? Yeah sure buddy!! [quote] FYI, I live in SoCal and put $500 down on mine. AlI I have to say is 'Pweesh', glad you are not working for Suabru.

[quote name='jedimaster']I dealth with a serious bunch of Asshats myself. I spoke to Subaru about it.[/quote] Well at least you didn't list their names on a public forum and call them racists for treating you like shiite! :roll: You dealt with it the appropriate way.

[quote name='Driver72'][quote name='jedimaster']I dealth with a serious bunch of Asshats myself. I spoke to Subaru about it.[/quote] Well at least you didn't list their names on a public forum and call them racists for treating you like shiite! :roll: You dealt with it the appropriate way.[/quote] I listed the name of a sales person about a month ago who insulted me to my face telling me that I'm wasting his time because I wasn't buying that day and how "an Audi is a superior car than whatever else is out there." I was shocked and couldn't speak. It was enough to turn me off to Audi, even though I had a better experience the following day elsewhere - I was so disguested by my experience and the monthly payments were high and I was thinking why spend all the money - for what - to be treated like shit for the next four years - no way. - Mike

Driver72, "boy" is a derogatory term for african american men. It's obvious from your posts that you didn't know that, so I guess I can understand your reaction to the intitial post. I'm a white guy, but I imagine most african americans are aware of the derogatory nature of the word. [url]http://www.fact-index.com/l/li/list_of_ethnic_slurs.html[/url]

This has turned into the dumbest conversation that I have seen in a while.. Play nice! There is no need to be talking about race anywhere in this thread. I will agree that being called "boy" doesn't sound racial, but it definitely is disrespectful. I am white, uptight and out of sight and even I would be pissed if someone called me boy. Now please stop bickering.

[quote name='UrQ']I'm also very sorry to hear about that! Racist or not, the term "boy" is degrading and unprofessional. We are the customers and they don't operate without our money. I hate the whole dealer "entitlement" attitude and I certainly wouldn't expect it from a Subie place. Too bad you aren't near Colorado; I'd guide you towards Shortline, a very reputable dealer. The greatest revenge is taking your money elsewhere![/quote] And, that, UrQ, is my point. :) I am just sharing the facts of the event. I never called anyone a racist. I said that I cannot believe a salesperson would be so ignorant - and risk a sale. Even funnier is that they called me back to see if they still could make a deal! I am not going to let one bad experience wean me off my 6 years of great Subaru ownership! I've gotten a good deal from a couple of other dealers. Just have to decide on spoiler, or preferred no spoiler and a sub (only choice I have for a Legacy GT Ltd sans spoiler in this area). Driver72 - old wisdom says if children should be seen, and not heard. Thank you for your silence. :D [quote name='c_hunter']Try Fitzgerald on Rockville Pike in Kensington MD, just off the beltway. I got my OB XT for invoice there 3 weeks ago, no haggling. They know how to work with out of state VA/DC buyers. [/quote] Tom @ Stohlman recommended I call a guy in Rockville - I wonder if he works at Fitzgerald. Thanks for the tip - I will check it out. Just have to find the time to drive from Dulles to Rockville tomorrow.

[quote name='Driver72'] Nobody is flaming here! He pulled out the race card in his anger about being called a "boy" I didn't think it necessary and it's wrong for him to say he was called a "boy" because he was a minority. That's absurd. Next he'll be saying the next time someone calls him "kid" that they are a racist and should be lynched. The dealer's attitude was wrong, but he is just as wrong for playing the race card after being called something that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with race. And he is more wrong for putting the guys name on a public forum labelling him, or at least implying the guy is racist just because he called him a "boy." Business all over the world often don't treat customers the greatest all the time, but if the worst a business rep calls a customer is a "boy" we'd all be just fine. But if every yahoo that gets called a "boy" starts throwing the race card around and implying they are racists for calling someone a "boy" we are all in a world of hurt. He needs to get over the fact he was called a "boy" and treated a bit poorly. When he grows up and wakes up he's going to realize that will happen to him MANY, MANY more times in life. He can't go listing those peoples names on a website forum and calling them racists each time he feels he wasn't treated like a king![/quote] Such blatant ignorance and idiocy force me to comment on this very "uninformed" (I'm being heavily euphemistic here) person, whose words I quote above. It's amazing how much ignorance and thinly-veiled racism this yahoo - to use his own words - has managed to display within the first 24 hours of being a member of legacysti.com As gurpman pointed out, "boy" [b]is[/b] a racially derogatory term for black people. Even if you didn't know that - which I find suprising, but then again ignorance is one thing I know I haven't yet seen the worst of - the expression is rude and unprofessional by any standard (unless you [b]are[/b] indeed a boy - you aren't, are you? If so, your ignorance is understandable, in which case I do apologize, son.). [quote name='Driver72'] He can't go listing those peoples names on a website forum and calling them racists each time he feels he wasn't treated like a king![/quote] Firstly, he (Mindflayer) has all the right - legally and ethically - to do whatever he likes after being lied to and verbally abused by some racist salesperson. Believe me, son, in VA people [b]know[/b] that "boy" is a very offensive name for black people (which is why they use it when they want to degrade and/or get rid of a person). Mindflayer should write letters of complaint to SOA, the dealership in question, and whoever else he deems appropriate. Secondly, being lied to and being the recipient of a direct racial slur doesn't quite equate with "not being treated like a king", but I think you know at least that. Most people, regardless of ethnicity, shy away from discussing race or simply dismiss it, even if faced with an evident case where race [b]is[/b] an issue. Some because they are racist, some because they have mixed feelings and don't wish to "take sides", some because they genuinely believe racism no longer exists, some because they simply have no clue, some because they just can't be bothered. The "race card" was brought up for the simple reason that it was "played" - there [b]was[/b] an act of discrimination and most unprofessional conduct. It's entirely natural that the person involved felt the need to share his bad experience; also, from a pragmatic standpoint, Mindflayer needs to find a decent dealership where he can actually purchase a car without being insulted -sorry, fellas, perhaps I'm getting a little over my head and that would be asking for king-like treatment :lol: I won't pursue this any further here, as it clearly belongs in OT (mods, please move it if you feel appropriate), but I felt the need to clarify a few things for the less illuminated out there. Now, let's try to get back on to [b]car[/b] talk. 8) One last thing - for all of you wondering about my dermis hue, I am as white as they come :D

Archived