LegacyGT.com

Worn clutch pedal -replace or get STI pads?

Pedals - STI or stock?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Pedals - STI or stock?

the nubs on the STi pedals wear down as well... but they're nice, and after 17k miles mine are still holding up well.

as a point of note though, i've never heard of the standard pedals wearing out before... maybe you just had a bad pedal?

Quick question, how do you lift off the clutch pedal? I use two different techniques which result in either fast wear or slow wear. I first learned how to operate the clutch by pivoting on the heel of my foot. This results in having the pedal slide along the bottom of my foot as I release. Using this technique exclusively resulted in two replacements in ~70k miles. The other technique is to eliminate slippage between your sole and the pedal by lifting your whole leg as you release. This results in much less wear.

I'm guessing you may use the former technique of heel pivoting.

But the WRX pedals look OEM and look nice.

That said, I can't remember if my pedal pads are still in the garage, if they are, you're welcome to have them. Same pad on brake and clutch.

But the WRX pedals look OEM and look nice.

That said, I can't remember if my pedal pads are still in the garage, if they are, you're welcome to have them. Same pad on brake and clutch.

Thanks, looks like the dealer is going to cover it under warranty. They had to special-order it though.

Quick question, how do you lift off the clutch pedal? I use two different techniques which result in either fast wear or slow wear. I first learned how to operate the clutch by pivoting on the heel of my foot. This results in having the pedal slide along the bottom of my foot as I release. Using this technique exclusively resulted in two replacements in ~70k miles. The other technique is to eliminate slippage between your sole and the pedal by lifting your whole leg as you release. This results in much less wear.

I'm guessing you may use the former technique of heel pivoting.

The wear is along the left edge of the pad, so I guess that means that I do rest my heel on the floor, and tilt the foot to the left as well.

Looks like I'm getting a new stock pad from the dealer for free, so no STI for now.

I got the STI pads straight off for my 05 LGT. I've driven exclusively MT cars for many hundreds of thousands of miles. Never noticed any appreciable pad wear, but, then again, I guess I have a pretty energy intensive pedal technique (lots of leg lifting.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived