LegacyGT.com

Won't go in reverse??

My guess would be that the dogs didn't line up (reverse is unsynchronized). Next time that happens, let the clutch out in neutral to spin things, then give it another shot.

If it's going into 6th when you have the shifter over past the lockout, that could be a bigger problem. Could just as easily be a Cheerio caught in the shifter mechanism, too, although I can't claim to have pulled one apart enough to see exactly how they work.

So not to hijack the thread, but what is the difference between the 15 sts and the sts that was installed in my car when new?

We don't really know for sure other than visible differences in the mechanisms. No one has ever had both and compared them one after the other, and no two cars, one with each, have been in the same place at the same time. (well, I take that back, my car and Swannee's have, but I forgot to get a feel of both).

I have driven Swannee's car and I believe that the spring that puts resistance on the shift lever is more stout in the WRX STS than the Legacy STS.

I'd push back into the garage each evening, then just drive it straight out in the morning. So one of the cables is binding up? Can you put it in reverse when the cables are disconnected?

I'd push back into the garage each evening, then just drive it straight out in the morning. So one of the cables is binding up? Can you put it in reverse when the cables are disconnected?

Pushing it into the garage could be a problem. One, you need a way to stop the car before it hits the wall. Two, most driveways slope down from the house for drainage purposes, which means you'd have to push up an incline. Both of those would suck to deal with.

Slight decline toward street would make this a difficult task. Correct, with cable to allow side side movement disconnected, reverse is obtainable. I started noticing some sloppiness in the shifter the past couple months and after further diagnosing found cable to be separating at connector. While in there replacing both cables and WRX STS woot woot!!! My wife actually stood out on the front steps as I was performing this strategic reverse routine this am and was dying laughing at me!!

Archived