LegacyGT.com

Wiring Schematic for Audio Install w/ OEM Head Unit

proflatlander15

I have been looking at doing an audio install in my 06 Outback XT, and had some difficulty putting all the information I needed together. I want to maintain a stock look, while running an aftermarket sub and aftermarket speakers. After much research, I have put together the follow wiring diagram that I plan to use in my audio install. I purchased the forward and reverse wiring harnesses from SVXdc. This allows you to wire the stereo complete without splicing into the factory wires.

Note: I have compiled this from many separate threads, but I must credit Darkside and SVXdc for helping me out and actually doing the legwork for me. I just wanted a cleaner version of the information they already know. I do not actually have any equipment yet, so bear with me as I am only going off the advice of others.

The factory wiring schematic is also compiled from SVXdc and Darkside. The dashed lines are the 'color'/black (negative) wires.

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/3093/audiowiringschematicrev.jpg

The factory wiring schematic is also compiled from information SVXdc and Darkside gave in previous threads. The dashed lines represent 'color'/black (negative) wires. Light gray represents white, and the dark gray is the actual gray wires.

Solid Orange: Illumination +

Dashed Orange: Illumination -

Gray: Right Front Speaker +

Gray/Black: Right Front Speaker -

White: Left Front Speaker +

White/Black: Left Front Speaker -

Purple: Right Rear Speaker +

Purple/Black: Right Rear Speaker -

Green: Left Rear Speaker +

Green/Black: Left rear Speaker -

Red: 12V + Accessory

Black: Ground

Yellow: 12V + Memory

Blue: Power Antenna +

These colors are for the wiring harnesses only. They do not necessary reflect values of wires anywhere else in the diagram (ie. RCA interconnects). The blue wire on top to the fuse box will enable the sub to turn on when the ignition is on and turn off when the ignition is off (as long as you wired it to a ignition-powered fuse).

I realize this may be confusing, so feel free to ask questions; I may have missed something. Good luck!

A couple of points on your wiring diagram-

The ReQ's blue wire is the remote turn-on output that it generates. You'll connect that only to the amp's remote control input.

The ReQ doesn't need +12V Accessory. They used the poor choice of wire color (red) for their wire they want you to connect to a HU's amp remote turn-on output. Since your Outback doesn't have that, you'll keep the ReQ's red wire capped.

Use their "Smart Engage" function to control the Blue remote wire based on signal detection.

Since your OEM HU doesn't have a subwoofer output, you can simply twist together (or solder) the ReQ's subwoofer input wires (brown and brown/black on the ReQ's harness). No need to tie those onto one of the main speaker outputs.

• 4 months later...

No.

On the reverse harness (the one that plugs into the back of your OEM HU), take those speaker wires and connect to the inputs of the Re-Q5. That sends the speaker outputs from the HU into the Re-Q5.

Send the four main outputs from your amp to the "forward" harness (the one that connects to your car's factory radio harness) -- to send the signals out to your speakers via the factory speaker wiring.

Solid Orange: Illumination +

Dashed Orange: Illumination -

Purple: Right Rear Speaker +

Purple/Black: Right Rear Speaker -

Green: Left Rear Speaker +

Green/Black: Left rear Speaker -

Red: 12V + Accessory

Black: Ground

Yellow: 12V + Memory

Blue: Power Antenna +

So, these are the wire colors of the stock harness? I am doing my stereo install this weekend and just using a simple 2 channel LOC.

If I take the HU out and splice the LOC into these-

I'm good, right?

So, these are the wire colors of the stock harness? I am doing my stereo install this weekend and just using a simple 2 channel LOC.

If I take the HU out and splice the LOC into these-

I'm good, right?

No, those are colors on aftermarket harnesses and equipment.

The factory colors are here: Legacy radio harness pin-out

I'd recommend using a pair of forward/reverse 14-pin harnesses rather than tapping into your factory wires, but it sounds like you don't want to wait.

Archived