LegacyGT.com

Windshield Wiper Fluid and Other Windshield Treatment

Soul Shinobi

I know it's not something many people think about, but windshield wiper fluid has been on my mind lately.

From the beginning I've been a fan of keeping things simple and just buying that cheap blue crap that most people do. But lately I've been thinking... I've been thinking about Rain-X, and also 303 Instant Windshield Washer Tablets (which are added to water or regular windshield washer fluid).

Now, my mother is a fan of Rain-X, but I felt that in her Toyota minivan it left visible fogging when the windows weren't wet. She simply uses the fluid, not the wipes or spray on/rub in versions. Even with this taken into account, I was thinking of using it if perhaps it provides my old dinged windshield with protection from further damage. Do any of you know firsthand if it provides such protection, and if you use it, how does it work for you in general?

The other product I only heard about today. This 303 product seems to be popular among some car enthusiasts, but I know little more about how it actually works. If you use it, please share. I am going to mail in for a free sample, but that'll take a while to get here.

Well, that's all that on my mind for today, I'll gladly use any information, experiences, or advice you can provide, so don't hold out!

In my Legacy, Rain-X streaks but I do need to replace the wipers.

In my other car, it worked great in the rain and mud but, seemed to streak salt from winter roads all over. It's cheap enough to try and see if you like it.

I've only used the liquid you add to the washer fluid.

I currently have the rain x fluid in my tank, it isn't the greatest, I wouldn't buy it again. I only got it becuase there was a deal purchasing rain x washer fluid and treatment for a discounted price. I find it does streak a bit, doesn't wipe as clean as the blue stuff.

Rain X treatment is great, I love it. I use it on all my windows. I tried it on the mirrors but it didn't seem to work too well as there is never any airflow going over them. I haven't had any experience with the other stuff.

I've gotta try Aquapel....

Myself, I love the RainX "winter" formula (orange color) windshield washing fluid.

Yes, it WILL leave quite a film in the unswept areas, but with good wipers, you should't see streaking in the swept portions, and it truly works as-advertised: as a windshield de-icer. It's saved my butt more than once on long road-trips in the winter, and I swear by it. Next to mixing my own winter cocktail, this is the best over-the-counter stuff I've ever used for de-icing. I can live with the film.

The summer formulation (pink) I'm not nearly as fond of, but where I live, this isn't necessarily as much of a concern for me.

I tend to use RainX only on my side and rear windows, as well as the outside rearview mirrors. My windshield wipers of-choice are the PIAA SuperSilicones, and their windshield "prep" upon install has the driver laying down a layer of silicone on the glass already, and I've found this to be sufficient to cause beading and aero-removal of water from the windshield at-speeds, even without running the wipers.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

It's all in the prep,the biggest thing that you have to do is make sure that the windshield is really clean.

I cleaned mine with denature alcohol and and invisable glass.

The same holds true for rain-x too.

• 1 month later...

My windshield wipers of-choice are the PIAA SuperSilicones, and their windshield "prep" upon install has the driver laying down a layer of silicone on the glass already, and I've found this to be sufficient to cause beading and aero-removal of water from the windshield at-speeds, even without running the wipers.

that prep stuff is pretty much exactly the same as rain-x. I don't use it when I change wipers.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

^ I had a feeling that's the case!

So I guess it's truly a case of silicone-on-silicone FTW. :)

Thanks for confirming - now I'll feel good about using RainX on my windshield, too, not having to worry about chatter/squeeking! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

It's all in the prep,the biggest thing that you have to do is make sure that the windshield is really clean.

I cleaned mine with denature alcohol and and invisable glass.

The same holds true for rain-x too.

Denatured alcohol, huh? Is that safe for the windshield? Probably, but what do I know? Where can I get that?

You use invisible glass first, right? It claims not to leave any residue, but after using it I noticed it made water bead on my windshield and the windshield wouldn't be as clear as expected after the blade wipe. Perhaps I did something wrong, or it does leave something (EDIT: or maybe it was that fucked up car wash I went through, perhaps some wax from that... Or maybe it first happened before that event? I can't remember)... The way I applied it was spraying on and wiping around with one cloth then buffing dry with a different cloth.

^ You might want to repeat your Stoner's application if you're noting residue..... :)

Archived