LegacyGT.com

window frameing- your take?

why does subaru manufactors all their cars w/o frameing all around the window(4 door)- I mean nothing to grab on just all that glass and no protection for it. seem so unstable, no? I've alwys owned cars with the window frame on the door noticing subaru doesn't make cars w/ it ponders me.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first car was an 86 Celica. It didn't have frames. My mom bought a car. It was a 97 Ford Probe. It didn't have frames.

My second car was a 95 Honda Prelude. It had frames.

I strongly, strongly, strongly prefer frames over frameless.

If nothing else, because if the window gets broken you have something to tape a garbage bag to.

It's also good to have something to close the door with that won't leave fingerprints.

I absolutely love frameless. Part of Subaru character.

I am appalled to see that Tribeca and now new Impreza have framed windows :(

This does not bode well for next gen Legacy.

It's easier to rescue people from a crumpled car with frameless windows... Easy to get the door off in a pinch. Literally.

So I was told by the Subaru sales guy.

There's an article somewhere on this forum regarding the dififculty that rescue workers have cutting through the steel used in Subarus. So even if what he was saying is true, it's probably negated by the construction of our cars.

And yes, frameless is awesome. From 1990 to 2007 and hopefully beyond.

It's also easier for someone to break into your car.

At high speeds, they can scare the crap out of you when the window pulls away from the seals. Or if you get just the right crosswind.

Yeah, reportedly the windows start pulling away at 170 mph.

i love frameless. so damn cool to just close the door with windows down. its the hotnesss!

+1,000,000

i love it

oh and as far as the 170 MPH window seal break i do not think thats accurate. it can happen well below 170 with the right wind as Scotty stated.

well, if you ever somehow drove into the ocean or a canal, it'd be easier to kick out the window on a frameless car door. :D

I dont know about you guys, but I close the door with one finger touching only the black rubber at the base of the window. no finger prints.

Guest Gitster

Theres other threads on this, the Legacy is numero uno in safety, so no it is not insecure. Ive also read that while reducing body weight, you can in effect put more structural weight into stability and chassis stiffness. Making the car more safe and stable.

Frameless FTW.

I've had mine pull away a few times now. If the cross wind is just right, the upper rear corner will pull away.

One thing Subaru doesn't do, that a lot of other companies do is retract the window about an inch when you open the door. It helps the window close against the seal.

Guest Gitster

One thing I dont like about it is the fact that I feel like im burning up my window motors when I close my windows, it was the sameway on my OBX. I like a good solid shut window, when the window hits the seal as it goes up, I feel like I need to rev the engine to get the motor some juice. Doesn't feel right on a brand new car, and doesn't feel right for the lifetime of the motors.

And I do take it easy on them when closing, I want the motors to last at least a few years.

the coolness of frameless was lost on me after owning two frameless Imprezas, got really tired of the wind noise at high speeds and i still get the same with the legacy. Now that im driving what i consider a luxury/sport sedan, id much rather have frames

Im sorry but how many of you actualy spend time looking at your cars parked, lying around with the windows rolled down and the doors swung wide open anyway, lol

One thing Subaru doesn't do, that a lot of other companies do is retract the window about an inch when you open the door. It helps the window close against the seal.

If subaru implemented this, that would be the ideal solution, the look of frameless with a good wind seal when shut.

Ed

Archived