LegacyGT.com

Wierd noise coming from rear

bluechipbmw

I'm not sure how to explain this but there is a really wierd rattling/rubbing sound coming from the rear on certain situations.

Let me first explain what suspension/tires mods are on the car. I have f/r cusco sway bars with stock endlinks and ion springs. I normally drive with my 18" (245/35's) tire but today decided to put on my winter setup.

As far as I know I never heard this sound before. I had a total of 4 people in the car including myself. Upon normal take off and driving the sound was not visible. But as soon as I hit the gas and the turbo kicked in you would hear a really loud grinding/rattling sound. My friends thought it might be the tire rubbing since the car has been lowered and when I hit the gas it causes the car to go lower. For some reason I dont think thats it but I can be wrong. After my friends got out I decided to do it again but it didnt happen. So I asked to get back in the car just to see if it was related to the weight in the car and for some reason it didn't happen again. I am not sure what caused it but it was my first time hearing it.

I don't know if its my rear differential that was making the noise or the tire rubbing. I dont know if its the ion springs but it is cold/wet tonight.

Any one have any ideas or suggestions?

My car also has a noise/vibration at a certain time. Mine is in 5th gear, 2500 to 2800 rpm's, full throttle.

Only happens where noted in my previous statement.

Also, it only happens with other than stock boost. I am running AP with Perrin up/ TMIC. Was also running Perrin downpipe but replaced it with stock downpipe to test if it still did it. It does it with either downpipe.

The AP map I am running is running on at least 8 other Legacy GT's with no issues.

I also have the problem when running the Cobb maps for my setup

It's not the maps, but it does seem to make itself apparent becouse of the change in the boost profile.

When I unmarry the AP, of course, it does not make the sound or vibration.

This only occurs at the stated condition of 2500 to 2800 rpm's, 5th gear, full throttle, AP live boost reading 15. 1 to 18.3.

I can't hold it in that area and make it do it,and it really is not any part touching or rubbing that I can find.

I have checked engine, tranny, and driveline mounts and all are as they should be.

It sounds and feels like it's driveline connected ($378.00) .

I took it to the service dept and had a tech go for a drive with me,and I showed him several times how it does it (I did not tell him I was running the AP).

It will be going to the service dept. on Mon. They will be rechecking everything, as well as putting in a different driveline, and doing something to check the viscous coupler.

Again, it will only do this with higher than stock boost so I need to leave the AP map on to replicate the problem.

And again,there are many more cars running the same setup as me,and I have yet to hear a report of any of these exhibiting this behavior.

If there is anyone out there that really knows, please reply here.

i've tried to replicate the sound later on last night but i wasn't able and i also tried this morning. i was talking to another friend...and thinks since it was cold last night and i didnt warm up the car that the sound might have came from the gears of the rear not being warmed up...because right after doing it a couple of times it didnt happen again.

i thought it was the weight at first...but made them get back in the car again and it still didn't happen. so i am clueless on where its coming from

I jacked the car up and saw no visible signs of rubbing. I am not able to hear the sound from the drivers seat so I had someone sit in the backseat today and they were able to hear it. It happens going in straightways and in turns but the turbo has to really kick in. I know its not related to weight in the car.....but not sure if its related to the car being to low due to the springs. But hoping someone can give me some advise.

Rear sway bar is hitting the exhaust with the weight transfer

Is this a guess or has it happened to you?

Mine is doing it all the time now, really annoying. It sounds like a gear issue, but it only does it under hard boost in 1st and sometimes in 2nd gear. Also, the noise doesn't gradually happen, but has more of an on/off nature to it.

I looked under the car for clearance issues, but could not find any. Still clueless!

Problem found!

Check out the pics.

The RSB ends rub against the control arm. This would only happen on a lowered vehicle. Putting the RSB in the other position (less stiff) might help solve the problem. I wouldn't call it a sway bar problem, I think the stocker might do it as well. Just need shorter end links.

Anybody know where to get shorter end links?

I wonder if I can have my welder cut them and re-weld them?

IMG_8653.thumb.JPG.825036df388de6f0d9015f1aad9ee057.JPG

IMG_8655.thumb.JPG.a664a85d2f78e9ade34220158c87c4c5.JPG

IMG_8657.thumb.JPG.191442f9ab3be74d45f4467c416ec364.JPG

My car also has a noise/vibration at a certain time. Mine is in 5th gear, 2500 to 2800 rpm's, full throttle.

Only happens where noted in my previous statement.

Also, it only happens with other than stock boost. I am running AP with Perrin up/ TMIC. Was also running Perrin downpipe but replaced it with stock downpipe to test if it still did it. It does it with either downpipe.

The AP map I am running is running on at least 8 other Legacy GT's with no issues.

I also have the problem when running the Cobb maps for my setup

It's not the maps, but it does seem to make itself apparent becouse of the change in the boost profile.

When I unmarry the AP, of course, it does not make the sound or vibration.

This only occurs at the stated condition of 2500 to 2800 rpm's, 5th gear, full throttle, AP live boost reading 15. 1 to 18.3.

I can't hold it in that area and make it do it,and it really is not any part touching or rubbing that I can find.

I have checked engine, tranny, and driveline mounts and all are as they should be.

It sounds and feels like it's driveline connected ($378.00) .

I took it to the service dept and had a tech go for a drive with me,and I showed him several times how it does it (I did not tell him I was running the AP).

It will be going to the service dept. on Mon. They will be rechecking everything, as well as putting in a different driveline, and doing something to check the viscous coupler.

Again, it will only do this with higher than stock boost so I need to leave the AP map on to replicate the problem.

And again,there are many more cars running the same setup as me,and I have yet to hear a report of any of these exhibiting this behavior.

If there is anyone out there that really knows, please reply here.

Great that you found that.

Now, how about my problem?

Anyone?

Is this a guess or has it happened to you?

Mine is doing it all the time now, really annoying. It sounds like a gear issue, but it only does it under hard boost in 1st and sometimes in 2nd gear. Also, the noise doesn't gradually happen, but has more of an on/off nature to it.

I looked under the car for clearance issues, but could not find any. Still clueless!

Not a guess (entirely) I read it in Subiesport with project Zero to hero and I have other people complain about the bars hitting the exhaust. With the aftermarket sway and the ion springs, but stock endlinks, my guess is that it is hitting the exhaust or something like your issue.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Not a guess (entirely) I read it in Subiesport with project Zero to hero and I have other people complain about the bars hitting the exhaust. With the aftermarket sway and the ion springs, but stock endlinks, my guess is that it is hitting the exhaust or something like your issue.

With my exhaust (factory) the RSB does not come near the exhaust through its whole travel. With an aftermarket exhaust I wouldn't know.

Problem found!

Check out the pics.

The RSB ends rub against the control arm. This would only happen on a lowered vehicle. Putting the RSB in the other position (less stiff) might help solve the problem. I wouldn't call it a sway bar problem, I think the stocker might do it as well. Just need shorter end links.

Anybody know where to get shorter end links?

I wonder if I can have my welder cut them and re-weld them?

That's great! Was there any evidence of any markings? I wasn't able to see any from the pics. I wouldn't think this would make a grinding noise but I guess it does.

I have the cusco rsb which is not adjustable. I also had the cusco adjustable end links but had to take them off since they were making clunking sounds due to crushed bearings. I ended up putting the stock end links back on. I wish I knew if it was making this sound before with the cusco end links or even when I was at stock rsb.

That's great! Was there any evidence of any markings? I wasn't able to see any from the pics. I wouldn't think this would make a grinding noise but I guess it does.

I have the cusco rsb which is not adjustable. I also had the cusco adjustable end links but had to take them off since they were making clunking sounds due to crushed bearings. I ended up putting the stock end links back on. I wish I knew if it was making this sound before with the cusco end links or even when I was at stock rsb.

Yes there was evidence of rubbing. It didn't really hit the bar, it would just grind a little at the edge.

Where did you get your end-links from?

I am assuming that they will replace the broken parts so you will be good to go?

Maybe you should try some beano

damn, you beat me to it:munch:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived