LegacyGT.com

why oh why

I was wondering if anyone else has had the headlight problem like I have? My car continually blowing low beam bulbs! Driver then passenger so on and so forth. I bought some piaa bulbs and got 3.5 months till the first one blew, store honored the warranty and got a replacement, now 2 weeks later the other ones gone and they won’t cover it because vibration caused the last one to break. wtf! Will going to hids resolve that problem? If so I’m on a moderate to low budget seeing how I might be losing my job. Thanks for the help

Matt

There is a sticky here somewhere with the correct Subaru part number bulb to buy. Subaru knows it's a problem and made a better bulb.

I have not had a problem since I installed them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Go with HID's I have had mine for almost a year and have not had any problems, and they are the same kit I brought over from my bimmer. Plus lighting is so much better, not to mention they look pretty damn good aswell

Two things you went wrong on: PIAA and not disconnecting the daylight running time lights, which is something that takes 15 minutes for a severely intoxicated person.

No, HIDs would not aleviate the problem, in fact their lives would be severely shortened as well by continually being turned on/off.

I mentioned PIAA because depending on what bulb you got, most likely you ended up with one of those overwattage bulbs that have a very short lifespan to begin with.

After going through 2 Sylvania bulbs in a year, I bought Xtec bulbs (not HID, just stock replacements) and they've been good for a year and a half, maybe two years. I can't remember where I bought them, but I think it was from a vendor here.

there is a sticky here somewhere with the correct subaru part number bulb to buy. Subaru knows it's a problem and made a better bulb.

I have not had a problem since i installed them.

+1

Aren't the drl's on the high's and not the lows? They are on the 08's and I am pretty sure they are on the 05's as well, so how would pulling them help prevent burning out low beams?

Also, if memory serves correctly, almost all the PIAA's are 55w.

You know, I had a Hyundai that this happened to. The car was under warantee so I always took it back and had them replace the headlights (Instead of $20 every month or so in stupid light bulbs). I went in one time and they said they were going to replace the fusebox. Never blew another bulb again.

The newer ones put the drl's on the highs. So that's weird there on the lows on the older ones. Doesn't make much sense since it will burn out the bulbs people use most faster.

Silly Subaru.

But in any case you shouldn't be burning those out so fast. There might be something wrong with the car then. I've never seen the problem pop up like that and highly doubt it's the fault of the bulbs.

DRLs on Subarus are the high beams on approx 1/2 power....yes it is technically illegal in almost all areas. Most of the bulb problems are due to surges in the power going to the lights....often associated to poor ground connections. I have been running PIAA's for over 3 years..No problems. DRLs disconnected and all the lights rewired to operate indepentently...there are walk-throughs for these mods.

yeah my drls are on the low beam, but i dissconnected them yesterday. and i dont think its a power surge because the bulb is not burnt the spring in the bulb is whats breaking:confused:. i would like to go to hids but i cant choose a kit, im looking for a good kit reasonable price. any ideas

thanks

Archived