LegacyGT.com

Why the look for the Japanese is different?

subaduba

Why does Subaru make the Japanese version of the Legacy different?

Looks like the headlights are nicer, they have the foldaway side mirrors with turn signal lights, they added fog lights standard and they added a wiper to the rear window. These would be welcome additions to the US version. Why do they do this?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why does Subaru make the Japanese version of the Legacy different?

Looks like the headlights are nicer, they have the foldaway side mirrors with turn signal lights, they added fog lights standard and they added a wiper to the rear window. These would be welcome additions to the US version. Why do they do this?

it's all about $$$

Because nobody wants to pay 40K for a Subaru...

How do fancier headlights, foldaway mirrors with signals and a rear window wiper add up to a 12g difference?

And how can this be an attempt on Subaru's part to save money? I would think that having one model across the board would be less expensive than having numerous models. Even the Canadian LGT's used to be different than the American ones.

Simply because things make sense to us, does not mean they make sense to the bigwigs calling the shots. They live in their own little world....

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It could also be due to the additional costs associated with US/NA safety testing. As a result, they would have to recoup their initial costs before pumping more funds into getting JDM features certified.

It could also be due to the additional costs associated with US/NA safety testing. As a result, they would have to recoup their initial costs before pumping more funds into getting JDM features certified.

That, and having to certify the additional electronics (motors for the mirrors, rear wipers) for E&M interference, extra wiring to certify given different duty cycles, having to carry extra inventory at the warehouse and then dealerships, etc.

A $1 savings in a vehicle equivocates to millions of dollars in savings!

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

Guest heightsgtltd

Once again, it doesn't work out that way when you factor in the exchange rate and how the Legacy is priced here.

BTW, have you seen the MSRP of a 2010 LGT with NAVI, etc?

Apparently there is a huge difference between a high $30K subaru and one that costs $40K

In SOA's blessed eyes...:lol:

American's don't need all those silly features anyways...

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

That, and having to certify the additional electronics (motors for the mirrors, rear wipers) for E&M interference, extra wiring to certify given different duty cycles, having to carry extra inventory at the warehouse and then dealerships, etc.

A $1 savings in a vehicle equivocates to millions of dollars in savings!

Subaru only sells about 200k cars a year in the US, so $1 saved per car is almost exactly $200k, and that's across all models, not just the Legacy.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Subaru only sells about 200k cars a year in the US, so $1 saved per car is almost exactly $200k, and that's across all models, not just the Legacy.

It's not just the $1 in direct savings.

It's the cost of carrying the parts - ie money (in parts inventory in manufacturing, spare/replacement parts, etc) costs money sitting there. Otherwise, the money won't be depreciated...and additionally, can be invested to make money.

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

Ok let me lay it on all ya'll real simple like. Why is there a huge difference between JDM and USDM? Because we bombed 2 of their major cities 60 yrs ago. Think about it, if Japan dropped a large f'n weapon of mass destruction on San Francisco 60 years ago, i'm sure we would be giving them watered down ugly versions of Chevy's, Fords, and Chrysler. So there it is, nothing to do with nobody paying 40k for a subie, last i checked you can get to 40k with an STI. Also last time i checked alot of the subie community are either at the 40k mark or well beyond it when you add in Mods to the price of our cars.

/thread.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

Japan has been growing like gangbusters, compared to pre-WWII, and is the second largest national economy in the developed world.

IF they are still sore about the war, perhaps we should still be sore about Pearl Harbor, as well...

More likely, we just need to live in the now. SOA's product planning decisions have not been very good ones, and some have said that maybe FHI/SOJ is fixing prices a bit... but I think that is a current issue, not 60 years old.

Subaru as a brand probably doesn't sell enough outside of the US to still exist, and that is a much more recent issue.

I am not convinced that the folks in Cherry Hill are that great at automotive product development.

IF they are still sore about the war, perhaps we should still be sore about Pearl Harbor, as well...

Pearl Harbor is not equal to 2 atomic bombs being dropped on major cities. So if we are sore about pearl harbor, they must be pretty damn pissed off at us. So what do you do if your pissed off at somebody, make something awesome, then give them the crappier version.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

So sinking half the US Pacific fleet in a surprise attack, without a declaration of war is no big thing?

I am not minimizing the atomic bombs, but arguably the alternative of invasion of the Japanese home islands would have been much, much worse, for both sides.

Again, the whole premise is a fairly long stretch. 60 years is three standard generations ago. We also rebuilt Japan, and have provided security for them since. And we have made them, as a country, VERY wealthy. We also rebuilt Europe after WWII, and continue to provide a lot of military stabilization there, too. They are our allies, now, too.

Again, more likely we just need to live in the now, not in the increasingly distant past.

So sinking half the US Pacific fleet in a surprise attack, without a declaration of war is no big thing?

I am not minimizing the atomic bombs, but arguably the alternative of invasion of the Japanese home islands would have been much, much worse, for both sides.

Again, the whole premise is a fairly long stretch. 60 years is three standard generations ago. We also rebuilt Japan, and have provided security for them since. And we have made them, as a country, VERY wealthy. We also rebuilt Europe after WWII, and continue to provide a lot of military stabilization there, too. They are our allies, now, too.

Again, more likely we just need to live in the now, not in the increasingly distant past.

You say again we need to live in the now and blah blah blah. But here you are still argueing the point. Your one of those people that absolutely need to have the last word arent you?

Archived