LegacyGT.com

Why Are All the Threads Getting Closed?

mods do the closing when threads get too derailed or get out of hand. Usually if you are reading a thread that is closed it is pretty obvious why it got locked down. Even if you don't agree with the locking, you still can understand why it would have been done.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

this isn't OT.net. If you want to go crazy on your threads then post on a forum without rules and allows anarchy. This isn't the strictest board on the internet either. Some enthusiast boards like this don't allow OT stuff PERIOD.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I think the forums are pretty free here.

Basically, no personal insults, no inappropriate material, etc.

All common sense stuff....

Please answer Tides question.... what post are you talking about?

Usually, there is a warning first... before the thread gets locked.

It is up to the posters to decide if they want it gone or not.

Very rarely!!!!

mods do the closing when threads get too derailed or get out of hand. Usually if you are reading a thread that is closed it is pretty obvious why it got locked down. Even if you don't agree with the locking, you still can understand why it would have been done.

Pretty obvious huh? you see something I dont?

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Guest *Jedimaster*
I never get any warnings about a thread being closed- they just get locked or sent off to Logan's Run- like the potty at work thread, which seemed innocuous enough and didn't contain anything like "Taking a shit at work, yes or no". Ah well.

I always post when I close a thread... and I think other mods do as well.

All this b&$ching is started to annoy me. If you don't like it guys.... then move along.

And Jedi... you're threads are moved quickly sometimes because of what they contain. Chilli peppers come to mind right now...... :icon_mad:

Guest *Jedimaster*
I always post when I close a thread... and I think other mods do as well.

All this b&$ching is started to annoy me. If you don't like it guys.... then move along.

And Jedi... you're threads are moved quickly sometimes because of what they contain. Chilli peppers come to mind right now...... :icon_mad:

I didn't think the peppers were a big deal, especially after the fag master pic he posted. From across the room, your co worker walks in and sees a pic of some chili peppers and has to get close to see the details. From across the room your coworker see FAG MASTER in big letters and knows exactly what she's looking at. :dunno:

But your assuming it was closed over a post of yours... which it was not. It was closed because of another posts, which were reported to me by other members.

Thank you for the explanation and you're right- I did assume it was over me.

I didn't think the peppers were a big deal, especially after the fag master pic he posted. From across the room, your co worker walks in and sees a pic of some chili peppers and has to get close to see the details. From across the room your coworker see FAG MASTER in big letters and knows exactly what she's looking at. :dunno:

Both were inappropriate.... and both were deleted.

My point still stands and that thread is still open.

Naw, it sounds like there were a few misunderstandings... nothing a bit of discussion doesn't clear up.

Great circle

Round and round we go.

Where she stops nobody knows.:icon_surp

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

care to be specific?

I can't speak for Kaa Kaa, but I really don't understand why Mikes FYI thread was closed, and I'm being totally serious. I didn't understand Mike's post at all, but I'm sure that some of the more computer savvy guys did. If they want to have a thread that's all computer code in General Chat, I can't see any reason at all why it would need to be closed, particularly so fast. If there was a good reason, some of us just asked for an explanation.

Going back a little farther in time, I never quite understood why two very old threads that I bumped were closed so fast. I'm referring to these:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1

Now, I know the "Auto Show" thread (the one that I bumped first) was no longer really relevant, but I didn't bump it to be a troublemaker. I just had found it interesting to browse some of the threads from the infancy of the site, and I thought it would be fun and interesting to get people to comment in hindsight about the old thread. I figured it would turn into sort of a fun thread, and maybe eventually get moved to "general chat" or something. It's not like I hijacked a thread that still had some life left in it. I just don't understand why it was so important to lock the thread within minutes of my bump. I'll admit that when I bumped thread #1 (Tide's "Welcome" thread) with an "IBTL", I was being a little sarcastic in response to the other thread being closed. However, this time a different mod nipped the thread in the bud before anyone else even responded. Why? What was the problem? What were they afraid was going to happen? Incidentally, when I've subsequently linked the above threads, other members have said that they thought it was fun and interesting to see some of the very first threads on this site. That was my whole point.

I want to make a distinction, BTW, between bumping old threads like that for fun, and bumping threads specifically to cause trouble. I think we can think of examples of how threads might be bumped maliciously, but in no way do I see how the ones I bumped were a big problem.

Close the "poo" thread? Fine, no problem, I understand that. I'm surprised that one lasted as long as it did, although I thought it was humorous. However, the kind of posts/threads that bother me a lot more are the ones when a few guys hijack a legitimate car-related thread, and turn it into an insult-fest. A case in point would be the "5EAT vs. 5MT" poll/thread, where Mblock and Phuzaxeman traded insults for several days and probably fifty posts. Several of us expressed annoyance at the flamefest, but nothing was done about it, and it was allowed to continue until the two guys got sick of arguing and trading insults.

I feel like there should be some kind of litmus test for thread closings. What forum is it in (i.e. the "General Chat" forum should be somewhat looser than the Technical forums)? Are anyone's feelings going to be hurt by the thread/post(s)? Is the thread in poor taste or offensive to some members? Has a legitimate thread been hijacked for malicious purposes? Those questions are just off the top of my head, but you get the idea.

I don't think I've got all the answers, and I realize I have no authority to make these kinds of suggestions, but I just think that mods ought to give members the benefit of the doubt until they have a reason not to.

Now, as a member who generally tries to contribute positively to the site (okay, I have occasional transgressions, but for the most part...), that kind of attitude ^^^^ ticks me off. Do you think if we don't always agree with your interpretation we should leave the site and not come back? Tide owns the site, and I guess if he feels that way, then fine, but I have never heard him express anything like that. In fact, he seemed to be inviting discussion in this thread.

I can't speak for Kaa Kaa, but I really don't understand why Mikes FYI thread was closed, and I'm being totally serious. I didn't understand Mike's post at all, but I'm sure that some of the more computer savvy guys did. If they want to have a thread that's all computer code in General Chat, I can't see any reason at all why it would need to be closed, particularly so fast. If there was a good reason, some of us just asked for an explanation.

Going back a little farther in time, I never quite understood why two very old threads that I bumped were closed so fast. I'm referring to these:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1

Now, I know the "Auto Show" thread (the one that I bumped first) was no longer really relevant, but I didn't bump it to be a troublemaker. I just had found it interesting to browse some of the threads from the infancy of the site, and I thought it would be fun and interesting to get people to comment in hindsight about the old thread. I figured it would turn into sort of a fun thread, and maybe eventually get moved to "general chat" or something. It's not like I hijacked a thread that still had some life left in it. I just don't understand why it was so important to lock the thread within minutes of my bump. I'll admit that when I bumped thread #1 (Tide's "Welcome" thread) with an "IBTL", I was being a little sarcastic in response to the other thread being closed. However, this time a different mod nipped the thread in the bud before anyone else even responded. Why? What was the problem? What were they afraid was going to happen? Incidentally, when I've subsequently linked the above threads, other members have said that they thought it was fun and interesting to see some of the very first threads on this site. That was my whole point.

I want to make a distinction, BTW, between bumping old threads like that for fun, and bumping threads specifically to cause trouble. I think we can think of examples of how threads might be bumped maliciously, but in no way do I see how the ones I bumped were a big problem.

Close the "poo" thread? Fine, no problem, I understand that. I'm surprised that one lasted as long as it did, although I thought it was humorous. However, the kind of posts/threads that bother me a lot more are the ones when a few guys hijack a legitimate car-related thread, and turn it into an insult-fest. A case in point would be the "5EAT vs. 5MT" poll/thread, where Mblock and Phuzaxeman traded insults for several days and probably fifty posts. Several of us expressed annoyance at the flamefest, but nothing was done about it, and it was allowed to continue until the two guys got sick of arguing and trading insults.

I feel like there should be some kind of litmus test for thread closings. What forum is it in (i.e. the "General Chat" forum should be somewhat looser than the Technical forums)? Are anyone's feelings going to be hurt by the thread/post(s)? Is the thread in poor taste or offensive to some members? Has a legitimate thread been hijacked for malicious purposes? Those questions are just off the top of my head, but you get the idea.

I don't think I've got all the answers, and I realize I have no authority to make these kinds of suggestions, but I just think that mods ought to give members the benefit of the doubt until they have a reason not to.

Cliff notes please?

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Well my general feeling is that people focus on threads and posts here while myself I view it as a whole site. To me it's not a big deal to close a thread here or there -- it keeps the place tidy. I understand that some people have attachements to threads here... ok so we'll be better about saying why we close something.

Why would bump the first thread on the board with an IBTL, I don't know. I understand why you did it, but still... saying IBTL then getting it locked is well... obvious.

Myself and the mods, while we do our best to read and browse all that we can here, are going to miss stuff. For that please use the Report button. In all honesty I take reported threads more seriously than anything else.

Lastly, I understand that any person running this board would have a different approach to all sorts of things. I try to be fair, but still posters need to remember that the people who run the site (admins and mods) are also people too. Mistakes are going to be made, questionable posts, locks, comments, etc... I think mccorry's point was all this isn't the end of the world, lets move along. We give the members a good bit of leeway, and I think you should give it to the mods as well.

Cliff notes please?

1) I don't understand why the "FYI" thread was closed.

2) I don't understand why those very old, harmless threads that I bumped a couple of months ago were closed, but I do understand why Tide and the mods frown on someone specifically bumping all of DM's old threads.

3) I do somewhat understand why the poo thread was closed, although I thought it was funny.

4) I feel that flamefests in the car-related forums are worse than any of the above.

5) I wish mods had a more specific set of criteria for closing threads.

6) Who cares what I think?

Archived