LegacyGT.com

White Chicken Chili

Brady

Here it is, dinner for tonight:

Spring greens salad w/ Raspberries, Toasted Almond Slices, Blue Cheese and Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing

Corn bread with honey butter

And White Chicken Chili

And the Chili is the real treat here, this has become one of my new favorites this winter. I fell in love with a similar recipe at a local restaurant when I was in college, and it's taken 7 or 8 years to find a suitable substitute. I recently made this for my family and they all loved it as well.

Recipe:

2 cans Cannellini Beans

1 large Onion (chopped)

1 stick Butter

1/4 cup Flour

3/4 cup Chicken Broth

2 cups Half-and-Half

1 teaspoon green Tabasco (or to taste)

1 1/2 teaspoons Chili Powder

1 teaspoon Ground Cumin

1/2 teaspoon Salt (or to taste)

1/2 teaspoon White Pepper (or to taste - I prefer more for sure on this one)

2 four ounce cans *mild* Green Chiles (I tried one hot one mild - way too hot)

2 lbs Chicken Breast (about 2 large breasts) cooked and cut into 1/2" pieces

1 tablespoon Canola Oil

1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack Cheese

1/2 cup sour cream

In a skillet, cook Onion in 2 tablespoons butter over moderate heat until softened.

In a kettle, melt rest of butter (6 tablespoons) over medium-low heat, whisk in flour, cook roux, whisking constantly 3 minutes. Stir in Onion and gradually add Chicken Broth and Half-and-Half, whisking constantly. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally 5 minutes, or until thickened.

While simmering, cook Chicken Breast in canola oil.

Stir in Tabasco, Chili Powder, Cumin, Salt and White Pepper. Add Beans, Chiles, Chicken, and Monterey Jack. Cook mixture over medium-low heat stirring occasionally 20 minutes. Stir Sour Cream into Chili.

Garnish

:whore: although, it's too late now. I don't want to see pics from the other side:lol:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

No, I didn't ... the bitch just sat there and watched me!

At that, she complained that the chicken looked gross as I cut it up. :mad:

oooooh I hate that. I've had that happen. Usually I remind the girl how much in demand women that cant' cook aren't :lol:

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

on a serious note I'm gonna try this recipe out
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I think you'll like it! I ended up doubling the amount of Tabasco and White Pepper, which is about right for me. Some folks don't like too much spicy, so adjust to your liking.

Yeah, she commented that she loved that I cooked. But complained that the chicken looked gross, and that I was slow at cutting it up. I explained I was slow because I kept a very sharp knife and didn't want to take a finger off in haste!

Yeah, she commented that she loved that I cooked. But complained that the chicken looked gross, and that I was slow at cutting it up. I explained I was slow because I kept a very sharp knife and didn't want to take a finger off in haste!

Yep. I dated one like that once. Same exact story. She'd go from "It's so awesome you can cook I'm impressed" to "OMG what are you doing that looks terrible" to "OMG that was so good" :rolleyes::lol::lol:

Brady, well done. you all need to try this recipe :wub: forget about what you think chilli should be this is really good. this is bosco and i approve this message. :) thanks bosco

wife made it tonight and i just finished up eating two bowls full. yummmmmm

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I have a similiar recipe, it is such a great winter meal. I think I might add the tabasco next time, sounds good.

• 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 4 cans Great Northern White Beans
  • 1-4 ounce can diced green chilies
  • 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1 teaspoon oregano

Steps

1. <LI class=cookingguy_styles>Drain beans <LI class=cookingguy_styles>Saute onions and garlic with butter until soft <LI class=cookingguy_styles>Add everything else and you're done. <LI class=cookingguy_styles>Well, you need to simmer it all to let it warm up. <LI class=cookingguy_styles>Serve in a mug with some fresh chopped parsley on top.
  2. Wait 15 minutes and Doug will be over.

Guest Gitster

Holler ...

http://inlinethumb28.webshots.com/9243/2024026980077408844S600x600Q85.jpg

My amendment to Bradys recipe. At least double the Beans. That is all, it was delicious :)

I gotta make this it sounds so good

man every time I look at this I get hungry as hell :lol:

I bought the cornbread from whole foods paycheck

fixed ;)

Guest Gitster

Well down here its either welfare groceries or high dollar groceries :spin:

I pay the money for the good produce, theres no in between. Besides I can afford $2 corn bread :lol:

Well down here its either welfare groceries or high dollar groceries :spin:

I pay the money for the good produce, theres no in between. Besides I can afford $2 corn bread :lol:

:lol::lol: I know. I just hate wholefoods. I hate that you can't get regular brands there too. That & it's really expensive.

Guest heightsgtltd
:lol::lol: I know. I just hate wholefoods. I hate that you can't get regular brands there too. That & it's really expensive.

Actually their 365 store brand is both cheap and good

Actually their 365 store brand is both cheap and good

true.

What really put me off to whole foods was a few things.

1) while some things aren't too outrageously priced, most of their products are a good 20% higher in price. When I go to the supermarket I wanna be able to get some upper-end food things but I also wanna be able to buy toilet paper that's not $4/roll :lol:

2) Beer was almost double the price unless you buy those piss-in-a-bottle growlers.

3) Cold cuts! I'm really happy with boars head cold cuts. While whole foods cold cuts aren't bad they're not better than boars head & they're more money. I'll usually go to the deli for cold cuts but where there's a whole foods there's not a deli for 10 blocks (generally) :lol:

which brings me to my last issue with them

4) No regular brands. I get it, organic/natural blah blah blah & I don't disagreer. I shop at the organic/health food stores all the time. But sometimes you just want like a gatorade, or hellmans mayo or something. You can't get it there.

Archived