LegacyGT.com

which short throw shifter?

Getting ready to do next mod, a sts. I was all set in ordering the Cobb, and the reviews on the review link were all favorable, but there are several other posts (more than coincedence) on the upgrades page that say it sucks and reverse mechanism doesn't fit properly....HELP GUYS.

By the way, just finished with CObb AP, DP, and SPT exhaust, and dyno (mustang) showed gains of 30 whp and 60 wtq!!! Love it, faster than my 05 sti (stock).....Thanks guys, love this board and everyone's input.

I went to install my COBB STS and I had a little problem with getting the C-clip out from its grotto (SP). Anyone have any advice/guidance in helping me get that damn clip out of there.

As soon as thats done, I can update on pros/cons!!

Karl

I went to install my COBB STS and I had a little problem with getting the C-clip out from its grotto (SP). Anyone have any advice/guidance in helping me get that damn clip out of there.

As soon as thats done, I can update on pros/cons!!

Karl

These kind of pliers work wonders http://www.channellock.com/acb/stores/1/926_-_6_25_inch_Retaining_Ring_P176C17.cfm

Lowes and Home Depot both should carry those.

I've had issues with the Cobb STS I installed. if I may recommend a different course of action first:

Do the following two things.

1.Buy a shorter shift knob, preferably weighted. Quality ones cost a little dime. You'll almost certainly want to do this down the road, and a shorter and weighted shift knob will change shift feel alot.

2. Change the trans fluid to Subaru Extra-S. Universally praised, it'll improve your shift smoothness. And again, you would almost certainly do this at some point when you installed a short shifter, so it'd not really "extra" money :)

Assess if you like the feel.

If not, then I'd say go with Cobb or Kartboy, but you might be really happy with just a shorter knob and new fluid.

Joe

BTW, here's the knob I've loved ever since I fondled it at KoP: http://www.5-starperformance.com/servlet/the-1001/STi-Shifter-Knob/Detail

Damn expensive as these things go, but it was seriously weighted and seriously shorter than the stock knob, and it would be a perfect fit/match for the Subaru shift boot and threading on the shifter itself.

My guess is that it would dramatically improve the shift feel by shortening the rod height and making it feel much more solid by adding alot of weight at the top of the shift-lever.

someone here has that knob, and loves it. i'm tempted to grab one.

I have the Subaru STS myself, ordered with the car. Can't imagine ever going back to a non STS install now.

I think there was a thread here that shown that all 3 of the major STS out there, Cobb, Kartboy, and Subaru, all have the exact same distance once installed. so preference and price.

Yup. Way too f'in much.

Simpler solution is to pull the lever out of the rest of the assembly and install it like you would a COBB or Kartboy as that's the only difference between STi STS and the stock one (that anyone who's looked can tell anyway and according to Subaru).

Much easier and cheaper this way. Too bad they don't sell it this way. ;)

Highly recommend you first do what JoefromPA recommends though. I've got the Subaru Momo knob but I think I'm going to pick up one of those STi ones he recommends. The Extra-S fluid is definitely a must.

Cheers!

Cobb STS here. Have had experience with kartboy and cobb in a WRX. I really like the Cobb double adjuster in the LGT but it took some tweaking. Do not use the lowest setting on the bottom adjuster or will not be able to find 2nd, 4th and possibly reverse. Make sure you grind the top left hand corner of the metal bezel plate to allow higher bottom settings . Like that other post mentioned not a bad idea to change to Subaru extra s as well.

There's a STS in my GT that the previous owner must have put in, or had someone install. I believe it's a gen.1 Cobb adjustable, and it's interesting to read about a few rattling issues with STSs, here. I say this because, namely on upshifts in around 2nd gear, there's a crazy rattling noise that is indeed coming from right about that area of the dash/console.

I used a Kartboy shifter for eight years in my old '00 RS and it's the only product I really recommend, aside from the SPT/STi unit (which is ridiculously overpriced). In fact, years ago Tom Deadrick discovered that the linkage was included with the STi shifter because the geometry of the shifter itself, between STi and stock, differed. The theory was that Subaru included the linkage unit (which has no upgraded materials whatsoever), with some kind of minor adjustment to make up for the difference. This was the measurement between the pivot and joint where it bolted to the linkage fork. This is opposed to the KB unit which is designed to work perfectly with the stock linkage.

That, or Subaru just plain designed the unit on purpose to include the linkage, to charge more money. Which is equally plausible. :D Mind you, this is for the Impreza... yet it's interesting that the STi/SPT units for the latter cars, even Legacies, followed suit...

I have two sets of snap ring pliers, and I still had better luck with a small set of needle-nose pliers.

I have two sets of snap ring pliers, and I still had better luck with a small set of needle-nose pliers.

I picked up an adjustable tool and it did the trick. So far so good. No complaints, in fact I think the car is much better suited for a STS.

Karl

• 5 weeks later...

Archived