LegacyGT.com

Wheel noise... sounds like truck tires...

al-gorithm

Hey guys,

I have the RE92's on my car and over the past 3 months a sound similar to truck tires or my buddy's 38" Jeep tires has been getting louder and louder. My brother says its coming from the rear passenger tire. It's apparent @ 60 km/hr and gets progressively louder until 115km/hr where it gets ungodly noisy. If i go above 120 km/hr, it quiets down and just changes pitch. I bet 115 is where the car resonates with the wheel. I have bumped a curve while going 10km/hr on that rear passenger wheel.

Does this sound like an alignment issue, wheel balancing, wheel bearing? :confused:

I am not sure if the sounds I am hearing would be from the above causes. It's really loud and I cruise @ 115kms. :(

I looked at the wheel and it doesn't look crooked and the original wheel weights are still there. I noticed a little more break dust on that wheel than usual.

If you guys can offer your opinions so I can take it in to the dealer, I would appreciate it.

You need to have this checked out by a competent tire/suspension shop or your dealer ASAP. It's possible you could have tread separation issues. Not likely, but possible. In any event - you don't want to wind up with a major failure of any kind.

Well I have the same exact thing with my car. I have 26k on the Potenzas and I have taken it to the dealer and the tire shop. The dealer said that they tires are in perfect condition and I believe them because they are perfectly balanced and the tread looks great still. I rotate every 6k and the tread wear is even all around.

Assuming that we have the same noise (I too narrowed it down to the left rear or left side but as a passanger I also hear it on the right so??) I think it is just the tires getting louder as the miles add up. I don't know how many miles you have on them though. The funny thing is that in the past month the noise has gone away.

What I can say, again assuming that we have the same noise, is that it is not a danger issue and more of an annoyance. The only real solution being to get new/different tires.

I hope that helps a little so you don't think you are the only one out there.

Mic

melayout - there isn't any vibration only from the noise.

Trax - I have my 24K service tomorrow. Not by my dealer but by a shop that is certified by Subaru to do these services. I am also going to my brother's recommended tire shop to see what he thinks. We'll see what they say too.

I look at the treads and from what I can tell, they look fine. I will check for a wheel bearing tomorrow too.

Omen - I will let you know what i find out tomorrow. I hope it isn't anything major. Did you hit any curbs with your wheels?

I look at the treads and from what I can tell, they look fine. I will check for a wheel bearing tomorrow too.

What I should have said is "belt separation issues". This is an internal tire problem. Maybe I'm just having brain separation issues!:lol:

After going to a tire and suspension shop, they definetly said that it was the right rear wheel bearing. I am currently on hold to book an appointment with my dealer. I informed them of this noise, which was softer at the time, about 2 months ago. So they can't really state that "because you hit a curb, it damaged the wheel bearing" bullsh!t.

I will have to wait to see what their "evaluation" is. They tried to tell me it was tires at first. "17" tires are always going to be louder than smaller tires".

Well I took it to the dealer and they said that I have a bent axle as well as a bad wheel bearing in the passenger rear. They were going to see if they can cover it under warranty. I am not sure but I looked at what they were going to charge me for parts if it is not covered. I don't think that brushing up against a curb should be enough force to bend an axle. And besides, the wheel bearing was making noise before the axle was bent. Couldn't the slack from the wheel bearing cause the vibrations to bend the axle? That is the only way they noticed that the axle was bent, by the axle shaking because of the wheel bearing.

Axle: $560

Wheel Bearing: $360

What a ripoff! I think I am going to call Lachute and see if they have their axles lying around when they did that GT for the Russian buyer.

Archived