LegacyGT.com

Wheel Balancing...and new tire hum...

inthedeck

Hey all...been a while since I have been around. Too much work, too little time.

Anyway, glad to see the board is really active these days. I have a question.

I got a new set of Conti's yesterday, replacing the craptenzas. The stock wheels had the wheel weights on the inside, and those were taken off once the new tires went on. Now, when I drive, I hear a hum when going above 50 mph, or when slowing down from said speed.

So, do the wheel weights, when replaced, have to go back inside the rim, or is it OK for them to put a weight on the outer edge of the rim, towards the inside of the car? Would this cause the issue with humming, or is it another matter, such as wheel bearings? I didn't have this noise when the craptenzas were on the car...so, it's something new.

They did perform an alignment, as well...and put it within stock specs, so, I am sure not what this hum could be, as it's so new. The only thing I could attribute it to is the wheel weights being on the outer edge of the wheel, on the inside. One other thing I noticed is the 'glue' that kept the stock wheel weights on is still there. Will removing this help any?

Any ideas? TIA for an suggestions. I will be returning back to them, to have the shop check it out, and hopefully they will determine that the wheel weights are causing the issue. Otherwise, maybe I should take it to Subaru and have them take a look at it?

Cheers,

i.

did they put the tape weights or the hammer on one's, and did they put one all the way on the inside of the rim and one on the out side edge facing your rotors too? Or did they just put one on the outside?

They took the original sticky weights off..and left the glue on. Then, I saw the guy tap one lead weight onto the inner edge of the rim, which would be closest to the strut. There are none towards the outside of the car...where the rim face is, as one of those tap ons won't fit there.

I did just happen to find this thread, though, Click Here..., which may also be the cause of the hum. Sounds like there's a few bad bearings out there, on the cars bought in '04, as '05's. So, hopefully that's the case...and if it is, I will just have Subaru rebalance the wheels, with sticky weights. Get a refund from Mavis, who installed the tires....and balanced them.

the leftover glue shouldent be a problem

yeah they balanced them the lazy way... static clip, for alloy wheels such as ours they require a dynamic balance to be balance correctly with tapes on both sides of the wheel

you should take them back to where it was done and have them do it the right way with no charge to you of course

Archived