LegacyGT.com

What's the deepest mids you've installed in your 05-08 LGT?

str8dwn

I have read great things about the Hertz MLK 165, but at 76mm (3") for mounting depth, I am a bit concerned they wouldn't fit.

I currently have a set that's 2.5" deep with 1" of Kartboy spacers that's pretty close on the backside. Must I really add another 1/2" of spacers?

I continue to hear those exact sentiments. That's why I am saving every penny to buy them. I'll probably just buy the drivers separately and run them active to save on the useless crossovers (savings of $100).

Not sure they'll fit in the doors though.

I have only 2.25" deep mids, so that does not help you in determining max depth, but I have run Hertz Components in the past and really like them. There is an authorized seller on caraudio.com (forum section) that is pricing them as aggressively as he can and still stay on Audison's good side. You might check that out. His name is Don, but I cannot remember his username.

I appreciate that. However, I very recently found a guy locally that is an auth dealer for Hertz/Audison and it's the service that he provides that makes me want to pay a little more.

Let's be honest in that most shops, for their average customer, only install stuff. Any half-wit can screw stuff in. But when was the last time you went to a shop and at NO CHARGE, they spent 30 minutes tuning your system for you? Sat in your car and adjusted your EQ, checked speaker phase, troubleshooted your ground loop etc?

So for me, I'd gladly have him install them, tune them and help me get the most out of my investment.

The fact that he is authorized by Hertz/Audison is a big deal. Apparently, you have to make a HUGE order to start out, and they have some pretty strict standards for being authorized to retail their gear. You cannot go wrong with a shop that is willing to put in their time on a customer's car to make sure that it is right- not just "done."

Hey guys, new here, but I highly recommend the Rainbow Audio X-line over Hertz. Both have great SQ but Rainbow's got double the Xmax @ 6mm (for the 6.5"). Only 43mm depth. I currently use a Rainbow CMX woofer with Seas Neo tweets in my Camaro and it sounds really good, and I plan on getting X-lines sometime.

I'm going to be installing Image Dynamics XS-65's in my door. They're 2.96in deep!!

I checked with ID, and their engineers have installed speakers in an 05 Legacy before, so it should work. I'll take pics and report back. It should be a very tight fit.

I've driven it the past 2 winters here. This one (as I suppose you would know) was pretty crappy and I did pick up some body+paint damage that I have yet to fix. It wasn't from me going off the road or anything, but because of some ice under some snow on my driveway. Drove over it, sunk into the snow, ice was there (between my wheels only) and it did some damage :/

I drove it during every snowstorm. I forget which day it was, but you know that day where basically everyone got let off around 1-2PM and the roads were jammed? http://antialiased.net/snow_driving.jpg -- got back to my town which had about 5" of snow (this was around 4:00) and it was completely unplowed. The highway was the easy part.

I have the silks and I love them. I have not heard the aluminums but if my tweeters were any brighter, they'd be too bright for me.

That's what I was afraid of too. Everyone who has them says that they are really laid back though. I'm going to give them a shot. I think that depending on how you aim them will help with the brightness. It's looking like 30degrees off axis is best for the aluminums.

The silks are actually a little on the bright side. Not nearly as bright as the terrible Rainbow tweeters I had before though (though I think those might be fine if I used them from 3.5kHz up, but the Rainbow woofers I have can't go past 2kHz, and the component set had it crossed at 3.2kHz... It was terrible!)

Sorry to hear about snow damage, I remember that storm you mentioned. I left work in Maynard at 12:05, got home by 12:35, logged onto my corperate network, and looked out my window at 1 to see white out.

Still, RWD + snow tires == FUN in the snow

By the way, cool electronic projects on your site! Engineer I'm guessing?

• 2 months later...

My ears prefer silk dome over aluminum, as the aluminum produces a much brighter sound.

^Which neos...the aluminum ones or the silks? I've been looking at the Aluminums over the silks because people say that they like them much more (coming from those who have heard both)

suds2250:

I've got Image Dynamics XS-65's in my door. They're 2.96 inches deep if I remember. They fit, but have absolutely zero margin for error.

2.8 is doable, but you will need big spacers. Just make sure you test fit everything to make sure the windows go down, and the door panel fits back on.

suds2250, look up my install thread.

I didn't use spacers, I took apart the stock speakers and used them to fabricate mounts. I think the total "space" was around 1 inch, but I'm not sure at this point.

Most people drop in speakers that are around 2.5 inches deep, and as yours are 2.8, I'd recommend measuring to see how much of a spacer you need. Sadly this requires taking your door panel off, but as you'll find out if you haven't already, the door panel is easy to remove.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer

Archived