LegacyGT.com

weird vibration/jerking when turning

Hi All,

I am having an issue with my steering - seems that when in a parking spot and pulling out (which is normally turning left), I get this weird jerking or vibrating. I cant really describe the feeling, but it seems like something is holding back my car from turning correctly? Could this be a powersteering issue or cv-joint/axles or maybe just the tires? I feel it more turning left than turning right and it is coming from the driver side. Also, this is when not moving or at slow speeds. Any info would be great.

Thanks!

Purge and replace the power steering fluid.:) One presumes you did it for the brakes, and the transmission. What about the poor power steering pump.;)
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• 4 weeks later...

I still do not know what the issue is.. does not seem power steering related.. it kind of makes a thumping suspension noise when i turn the wheel at slow speeds.

Also, for some reason when i try and lock my steering wheel (turning wheel to lock when car is off), i need to turn about 180 degrees before it locks - is this normal? It seems like a lot turning just to lock the steering wheel.

Thanks for you help

Problem with the tranny, most likely.

Had the same problem with my 02 and it always happens at very low speeds.

Also after you drive 20-30 minutes du you feel like the car doesn't move as fast?

Ater its hot put the car on a slant and put in neutral and see if the car roles.

Happened to me twice on a 5MT(legacy) and it feels like an old 4wd truck with a clink and clunk.

Problem=tranny center diff.

i have an automatic transmission, would that matter? it would suck if it was my tranny.. that can be a very expensive fix.. have not noticed any decrease in performance, but i hardly drive the car..next time i do drive it for more than 20 minutes ill see if theres any drop in performance.. Also, the jerking and thumping while turning is on a cold start..

Does it make noise when you are accelerating, coasting or braking? Moving forward or backward? Is it when you are turning the steering wheel or not?

Sounds like a C.V. to me, is one of your front cv boots torn?

Here's the thing. You've described a couple different problems. So i'll try and explain what I think to what you've posted.

If it were P/S related, like the pump took a shit or it was low on fluid, the pump should be making noise all the time, not when it's just cold, and it'll be hard to turn in both directions, not just one. Same thing if it was a drive belt issue, like the belt was loose it should be squeaking and squealing as the car is on. I've worked on cars with a complaint that it was difficult to turn in one direction and the fault was in the rack internally.

If your mechanically inclined and have access to jacks and jack stands, jack up the front of the car while it's cold. Is the problem still there with the suspension unloaded? Try turning the wheels side to side yourself from the wheels, not the steering wheel. Does it feel notchy? You said it sounds like it's coming from the driver side; remove the tie rod end from the knuckle and turn the driver side wheel. In doing this you're eliminating the suspension (strut mount, ball joint) from the LF as the cause. How does it feel and move, free? Do the same on the passenger side, remove the tie rod end from that knuckle and turn the wheel. Turn freely? Hop in the car and turn the wheel thru the steering wheel, does it still feel tight to the left?

Do this and post what you find, we'll go from there.

Hope this helps.

I had the same problem when I got my car (3 yr old when I got it).

Slight judder/shake on occasions on low speed turns (you feel it thru the steering wheel?).

A power steering flush fixed it 100% for me. Check the colour of your power steering fluid (mine was real dark). If it is really dark, change it quick before you damage your power steering pump.

I had the same problem when I got my car (3 yr old when I got it).

Slight judder/shake on occasions on low speed turns (you feel it thru the steering wheel?).

A power steering flush fixed it 100% for me. Check the colour of your power steering fluid (mine was real dark). If it is really dark, change it quick before you damage your power steering pump.

Bingo:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

If it's happening only on low speed turns like parking or u-turns then my first guess would be a CV joint. I'd spot check 'em to make sure they're ok. On the passenger side sometimes the boots get dry and crack prematurely due to the proximity to the turbo.

had same problem with my car cold mornings, steering hard to turn at a dead stop (happened more when the engine had a load on it ex in drive) usually went away if you bring up the rpms or get the car to start rolling, took it into a shop and they did a pressure test on the pump, found out the pump was good but there was a valve in the rack that was being stuck due to contaminated fluid, flushed it out several times and replaced the pump (under warranty) and problem fixed :lol:

hope it is just the fluid, which from most of you it is.. i checked the boots and its not leaking and are fine. at first i ruled out power steering because i never experienced power steering fluid going bad lol.. anyways, hope a quick flush and refill of the fluid will work.. to flush the ps fluid is it as easy as jacking up the car, unbolting the ps hardline, letting it drain, tighten back hardline, refill ps reservoir and then move wheel left to right to get out the air?

After you've checked the aforementioned items.

Check your tranny fluid.

You don't seem to have enough miles for the issue, but it sounds a lot like torque bind also.

If your fluid is real dark red,change it. Do Not flush the tranny, just empty and refill. Takes about a gal plus a little more sometimes. Std Dexron III.

O.

• 6 months later...
i am having the same problems when i turn its really hard some times and the wheel vibrates when im parked and trying to get out of a spot. also it makes this like sound like chruuuuuuuuuuuuushhhhhhh. tell me if u find a fix.

• 1 year later...
hope it is just the fluid, which from most of you it is.. i checked the boots and its not leaking and are fine. at first i ruled out power steering because i never experienced power steering fluid going bad lol.. anyways, hope a quick flush and refill of the fluid will work.. to flush the ps fluid is it as easy as jacking up the car, unbolting the ps hardline, letting it drain, tighten back hardline, refill ps reservoir and then move wheel left to right to get out the air?

Sorry to post on such an old thread, but I'm having the same problem the OP described on my '05 MT LGT. Did you get it solved? If so, was it as simple as power steering fluid? Just bought the car a month ago, going to have fluids changed next week, might just have that added to the list. Thanks!

Sorry to post on such an old thread, but I'm having the same problem the OP described on my '05 MT LGT. Did you get it solved? If so, was it as simple as power steering fluid? Just bought the car a month ago, going to have fluids changed next week, might just have that added to the list. Thanks!

Also have them check "carefully!!!!!" the PS belt.

Archived