LegacyGT.com

weird noise from hard braking today.

rvlmtfnk

when i hit my brakes hard today, the entire brake pedal shook pretty violently and made a really weird sound. it sounded so loud that people on the streets actually were looking over their shoulders to see what happened.

i'm suspecting this could be my brake pads having been worn out. when i bought the car, the mechanic told me the brake pads were getting low, but were still within factory spec, so he couldn't do anything about it; and that was about 1200miles ago... can anyone confirm that it sounds like it is the brake pads?

well i brought it in to the dealership and apparently my rotors were warped. so they machined all of them and threw on new brake pads too (since those were on the way out anyway) for a grand total of $410+tax! damn am i lucky.

so the roughly vibrating brake pedal happened again today, even after i machined the rotors and put on new brake pads. is that how ABS feels like when it activates? are you supposed to feel some rough vibration in the brake pedal? i always thought ABS would only affect the wheels, and not transmit the pulsating feeling back to the pedals... can anyone chime in on this?

well i thought i wasn't braking very hard, but there was some slush on the road surface though... i'll try it out again tomorrow by braking on different surfaces and see what happens. if it kicks in even though i'm not braking hard, then i'll take it in.

quite an unrefined ABS system if it sounds like grinding rocks... i remember my friend's dad was playing with the ABS on his S500 and it was much smoother, only hearing a slight "thud thud thud" from the wheels, but i wasn't able to feel it in the car. oh well. thanks for the input, sebberry.

I hear like a "clunck" and my pedal just gets really squishy.... (when i brake hard)

yea that sounds more "correct" than what i or sebberry have been hearing...

perhaps both of our brakes are f-ed, but sebberry has been assuming that what he's been experiencing was what it was supposed to sound like. uh oh. :lol:

Archived