LegacyGT.com

Warranty info from Subaru

Migraine

I sent an email to Subaru asking about mods and the warranty, this is the response I recieved. Sorry it's a bit windy.

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and congratulations on the purchase of your 2005 Outback 2.5XT Ltd Wagon. We hope that you are enjoying the many fine features of your new Subaru!!

Subaru of America recommends that you only equip your 2005 Outback with genuine Subaru parts and accessories designed specifically for your model. This is because these are the only components that we test on your model.

We have a Performance Parts Web site, which you can access through Subaru.com. Once on our home page, use the the 'SUBARU OWNERS' heading to select the 'Performance Parts' option. You will then be linked to our Performance Parts Web site. If you enter the specifics for your Subaru, you will be able to view the Subaru performance parts available for it. You will also be able to send requests to dealers to see if the part you are interested in is available. At your convenience, please visit this new site.

Subaru does not research nor test aftermarket products. We cannot specifically comment on any specific aftermarket product. We cannot recommend the installation of any aftermarket products into any of our vehicles. Some aftermarket products are more likely to cause concerns than others. For example, installing a remote starter would be much more likely to cause problems than installing an air freshener. Both are aftermarket products and are not recommended; but, it is easy to see that one would not cause problems.

If you install any aftermarket product, the warranties on your Subaru would not be voided. But, if an aftermarket product causes a problem with your Subaru, the warranties supported by us would not cover the repairs. This policy is mandated by the US government throught the Magnusson-Moss Act.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

I think that John at Subaru has a future career in politics. He did dance around my question. But I guess its going to be a judgement call by the dealerships on wether or not the warranty should cover it

Lance Galloway

Flagstaff, AZ

No surprises there though. From what i can tell of the local dealers, some are really good with parts, others are violently against it. It certainly pays to have the nasioc community around to get an idea of that though. I know there are some dealers around here who don't care one bit, of course unless you part caused the problem. Thats to be expected though.

I completely agree.

It all depends. Its a fine line though. I think it really depends on each situation. If you mod and are putting down a lot more power and something breaks, well your stuck. That doesn't mean everything isn't covered anymore, but certain parts they might not...

But when do you cross that line. Say for example, if you installed a catback or turbo back exhaust and dropped a cylinder, would they blame that on the modded exhaust, when the real cause was something internal, oil pump, faulty ring?

In a way yes. My original question started when buying the car and couple of guys from the dealership started mentioning all the mods you can do to the car and said that it didn't effect the warranty other than the new part. A quote from the sales guy "As long as you dont touch the block your ok." I guess he was misinformed and I bought it.

Subaru takes a dim view of customers who re-engineer their Subarus to increase power. I liken it to someone who buys a new Dell computer and then starts swapping out motherboard components to increase its power. If it breaks, does anyone think Dell should step up to the plate and repair such a computer under warranty?

Standard response from an OEM. He simply copied and pasted the response. He probably gets emails like that everyday. Dealers are at their discretion to deal with a warranty issue on a modified area of a car. If the modification is drastic its a no brainer for some delaers. If you are very friendly with the dealer again it can change. Discretion is variable depending on a lot of things, its very easy to get confused :(

As iylalla stated, the dealers can have quite a bit of discretion when it comes to warranty. However, it comes down to, did the modded part have anything to do with the problem? If it did not, then in no way will it affect the warranty. OTOH, if the modded part directly caused the failure, then it really isn't Subaru's fault....

Archived