LegacyGT.com

warming up your legacy

does it help to bring your legacy up to temp (or at least run it in idle until the temp needle begins to move up)?

does it help to do it in cold weather? warm weather? or is it just a waste of gas?

Not now as its pretty warm out, maybe 10 or so secs.

Winter maybe 1-2 mins, then drive off slowly

It warms up quicker driving it, especially on the freeway

Do whatever you want with your fuel, use it or waste it, its yours

I like how newer BMW's are set up. As the car warms up it allows you to hit higher RPM's. So it physically wont let you beat on it while its still cold. I think it wont even let you go over 3K until its at least warm.

I go by that rule of thumb, until she comes up from cold she wont see anything over 2500 and until she's fully warm nothing over 3500.

I like how newer BMW's are set up. As the car warms up it allows you to hit higher RPM's. So it physically wont let you beat on it while its still cold. I think it wont even let you go over 3K until its at least warm.

Just what you want - bouncing off the rev limiter as you pull out of your road onto a busy highway :rolleyes:

Modern car need maybe 30 seconds to get good oil flow. Then it is best to warm them up with light driving (load) rather than idle.

I start mine, let it roll down the 125ft driveway, put it in first gear and drive it. Summer or winter, unless I have to brush the snow off it.

What m sprank said is pretty much been the rule for 30 years or so.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's so much easier. You pull the oil filter off, start up the engine. And then it just pumps all the oil out into your bucket. No need for pulling the drain plug and making a mess. When the oil stops coming out, put a new filter on, and add new oil. It's so much easier and cleaner.

This was starting to sound like a Weight Watchers meeting. "I ordered a large shake and took one sip and threw the rest away," says the 5'2", 245 lb 23 year old woman and the rest of the meeting applauds. "At our Memorial Day picnic the only salad I ate was nothing but lettuce and carrots," says the 5'4" 268 lb 45 year old load. Meanwhile, over the holiday weekend they each gained 4 lbs a piece but somehow followed the plan.

It sounds to me like people take this warm up crap waaayyyy too seriously. If I go to leave and I'm running late, I'm driving. Not fast, of course, but faster than sitting still. I've had cars last 348,000 miles, 179,000 miles, 282,000 miles and not one of them did I go so anal as to let the thing warm up all day or even for a minute. They were all still running fine when I sold them, or totaled the last one. Just don't drive like a jerk until the temp moves up a bit and be cool.

I all seriousness, it depends on where I am. If I can get in my car and drive on a somewhat flat road for a mile or two, I just drive slow and keep the revs. If it's really cold in the winter, I'll give it a minute before this.

At my house, though. It actually probably is good to let it warm up for a few minutes. I have a very steep driveway, usually requires good amount of wheel spin and skinny pedal to make it up in the winter. And after that, I have to tackle yet another hill, and finally pull onto the main road a mile down. Which is on a blind corner, so I can't just pull out and accelerate like an old lady. I'll be rear ended.

So in the case of leaving my house, yes, I do let the car warm up some before driving it.

Also my GL is really pissy when it's cold, it runs rich and stalls. So that gets to warm up, too...

Archived