LegacyGT.com

I love love love my 2.5i but I've gotten bored. I can't afford the GT, although I long for some of its power.

I am about to put on a new exhaust, which will make it a little more fun, but overall nothing is really going to change. I'm not gonna drop money on a turbo, but what can I do that will give me just a little more power.

I really have no problem with the car in the city, but I put a lot of highway miles on the car every month and I want something that makes my 3+ hour rides a little more entertaining.

For a n/a Cams are the only real power/cost worthy upgrade but take some work and engine knowledge that's my last upgrade ill do after suspension not sure if you have a sohc or dohc but for a sohc for the freeway drive like you said a 1500 delta grind would be nice I'm still debating if imma do a 1000 or 1500 I'm still looking into it and learning it though

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure some where under the hood or by the tower strut there should be a plate that says what engine you have or you can just look at your timing belt set up if there is just 1 big pulley on the left and right its a sohc if there is 2 then its a dohc cause there is a cam for intake vaulves and on for the exhaust vaulves

If you want more fun, you need to concentrate on suspension. If you can't afford a GT, you can't afford dropping thousands on engine mods for tiny gains.

in full agreement.

Unfortunately, there's pretty much nothing that will give you noticeable power gains on a 2.5i without spending a decent amount of coin. The dollar-to-horsepower ratio with Delta cams is meh (search on NASIOC), especially with the labour involved. The only thing I've read that's produced a noticeable gain on a small budget is a lightweight crank pulley.

I've mentioned this plenty of times to 2.5i owners: The biggest gain with the 2.5i is tires, suspension, and brakes. On my personal car, my favourite mods are:

- summer tires (the only thing that touches the road; #1 handling upgrade)

- RCE coilovers (yea I know, expensive. But I'm planning to keep this car until it dies, so worth it for me. Rides better/similar to stock, greatly reduced body roll and dive under braking)

- Group N control arm bushings (the car actually feels stable on the highway; no more wandering)

- LGT brake swap (stock brakes felt inadequate; these should've came standard on such a heavy car)

- AVO mufflers (just for the sound; don't expect gains)

Fortunately for me, 98% of my driving is in areas where the speed limit is no more than 40 MPH, so I exploit it's handling abilities on a daily basis. I also started autocrossing this year, which made me love the car even more. I highly encourage it if there's any events local to you.

If you really really really want to go faster in a straight line, you might be out of luck :(

Suspension is where its at. My car isn't super fast, but its fun to drive and I can hang in with a GT or WRX around corners... get left behind in acceleration though...

I have:

Konis

Eibach springs

Whiteline offset LCA bushings

Whiteline steering bushings

JDM RSB

Starspecs mounted on kosei racing K1 TS 18x 7.5" wheels

While it doesn't affect performance much I also have a Kartboy short shifter and all the bushings

Thinking that a throttle controller will be my next purchase.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

^I dont usually like being the internet police, but if you want to ask questions about your own car, create your own thread or post in a more relevant existing thread. Only post here if you're trying to help the original poster.

It would help if you answered (Show me your badge)

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ucw5gg

Did you really intend to tell us all exactly where you are (6800 enterprise drive...)? I would recommend turning that off.

OP-I've had my share of n/a Subarus, and wholeheartedly support the statements here: make sure it runs tight, improve the suspension, then drive the hell out of it and appreciate the reliability.

Archived