LegacyGT.com

Walbro pumps + ethanol = no -no

_MFB_

Im reposting this from our local car club in the hopes members here can clear the info given to us.

----

This is the response i g0t from the main office of walbro regarding their fuel pumps and ethanol combination:

"I am sorry, we do not test, approve or recommend our fuel pumps be runwith ethanol

Luis Salas Program Manager - Aftermarket Walbro Engine Management'

Whew... glad I spent the extra $ on the AVO pump. Oh wait... I'm sure AVO would say the same thing as Walbro. :p I agree exactly with Casopolis's statement below:

They are just playing the safe card. People have been running ethanol for years on aftermarket fuel pumps. Everyone says stock fuel systems in the US will rot away if you run ethanol, but that has yet to happen.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Look over on NASIOC. Walbro has been requesting thier used pumps back from E85 users to asses any potential problems. So far they have found NOTHING to indicate thier pumps are not compatible with high ethanol content fuels.

Look over on NASIOC. Walbro has been requesting thier used pumps back from E85 users to asses any potential problems. So far they have found NOTHING to indicate thier pumps are not compatible with high ethanol content fuels.

That's weird... they can just plug a pump in and stick it in a tank and run it through the cycles if they really want to know. Might take a while, but if they would have started years ago they would have some good data by now.

That's weird... they can just plug a pump in and stick it in a tank and run it through the cycles if they really want to know. Might take a while, but if they would have started years ago they would have some good data by now.

My guess is they didn't put thought into it years ago and are now being flooded with "can your pump handle E85?" calls.

Aftermarket automotive fuel pumps is such a miniscule amount of their overall business. I cannot forsee them putting in the time or effort on something that makes up way less than 1% of thier business. I thought it was amazing they were wanting to see thier pumps for inspection after use in E85.

I'm lucky to have Hotrod from NASIOC (an E85 pioneer) in my backyard. Literally, he's in my backyard helping with some yardwork. He has done a LOT of work with E85 (see his thread) and feels it's safe to run Walbro pumps.

What about the other stock fuel system components such as plumbing, fittings, O-rings, etc? Has anyone seen a failure yet?

Larry? he helps everyone with yard work it seems. He's a good gardener.

Yep, Larry! Agreed he is a good gardener. I thought I was pretty good but he is better than me. He blew his WRX motor and needs funds to get it rebuilt. He moderates a couple E85 web forums too, so I don't know if there is a better authority on E85 anywhere.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Archived