LegacyGT.com

VF52 swap and CEL

Hey guys need some help:

Did a VF52 swap what restrictor pill size should I be using?

Also the car ran fine until I did a hard pull in second gear. The car then

threw a CEL light and idled rough at the next stoplight like it had cams in it.

It does that every now and then and at other stops the idle would go up and down from like 500-1000....

Car runs fine otherwise tho..........any ideas?

thanks in advance!

I dont know how to check the cel code; I'll do a search so I dont get flamed.

The tune is stage 2 from accessport stock file that was already on the car before the swap.

parts that were already on the car before the turbo replacement:

invidia up

fijitsubo dp + ul header

hks silentpower catback

spt intake

Seabass that is a good possibility I read somewhere in the forum that the boots for the intercooler and stuff can get torn in the process so I'll have my guy look at that as well.

You will need a tune for a vf52.

Also zip tie all the vacuum hoses.

Use the AP to check the code.

Clean the MAF sensor.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

you def need another tune. you prob over boosted when you got on it. Its happened to me as i am still waiting to get a tune. Dont drive it hard. Idk if that would be the cause of the weird idle but its a place to start as well.

If you find the vacuum hoses are all on. pull the battery cable for a 15 minutes to reset the ECU and keep it out of boost.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

thanks for all the suggestions. i'll have to find my AP, dont know where the hell I put it. Hopefully I'll be able to get it looked at this Friday......Let you guys know what I find.

Also is there a VF52 tune I can buy from a member or Cobb for my car's stage (I have the above listed mods, stock injectors, stock fuel pump)? What restrictor pill size should I be using for the VF52 upgrade? I have the above listed mods, stock injectors, stock fuel pump.

I'd pretty much go with what everyone else is saying, and go get the car tuned. Other than resetting the ECU and checking for leaks, there's not much else you can really do.

I have a VF-52 that's going in my car soon, along with a whole mess of shizzz (tbe, intake, ic, ebcs, fuel pump, and some other little goodies). The part that sucks is that it's all chillen in my living room, because I don't want to put anything on the car until I schedule a tune. Either way, gl with tracking down the issue and hopefully if doesn't result in any other problems!!

Live in Hawaii and dont think there are any good tuners out here for subies. Plus there is only one place with a 4 wheel dyno and they flew someone in a few years ago to do a group subie tune (and the turnout was good, so that kind of tells you wassup). I wasn't ready then but am now. That's why I'm looking for an off the shelf tune and be happy with that......penalty for paradise. LOL

• Mega Users
And if you're on a stock intercooler, it won't like overboosting on a vf52. That would be a good place to start looking for a leak. Only do a local tuner if there is a good one. Otherwise, look for an e-tune.

Go with Infamous Performance. He'll tune you through the internet.

Agreed.

Take it easy on the car until then. You can't just throw a different turbo in like you did. FYI your tuner will want to know what restrictor pill is installed when they create the tune for you. Where did you get the turbo and did it include the vac lines with restrictor pill? The tuner should know what size pill comes with that turbo from the factory. But if the vf40 vac lines were used during the install, then it has a factory vf40 pill installed. This is all good information to know.

Oh yea, dump that intake and install the factory intake. That intake sucks and the factory intake with panel filter is just fine and much more reliable. Especially if you are getting tuned remotely, it makes even more sense to get rid of that intake.

Ok great suggestions. I'll look for a aftermarket intercooler just to cover that weak link.

I replaced the pill with a 1mm pill, not sure if that was correct or if I should go back to the stock one or is it just a matter of letting the tuner know which one I have?

I tossed my stock intake a long time ago; what is wrong with the SPT one?

I'm on a trip so not driving at all and will get the car looked at as soon as I get back into town tomorrow.

I've bought parts from Infamous before so I'll prolly go that route.

Appreciate all the help and suggestions, will let you guys know what come of it.

Yea, definitely drive it carefully. That turbo on a stg 2 tune means overboost. Not tuned for intake means running lean. Not a good combination.

Yikes. Hear ya loud n clear!

FWIW a VF52 should use a 1mm restrictor pill. You should definitely have a tune with the Turbo and a CAI.

Ok 1mm is what I bought and installed with the turbo so that makes me feel better.

Basically nobody likes that intake and tunes for it have been inconsistent as far as the MAF scaling curve (repeating others here...)

Its not horrible, but there are other intake options that seem to tune more nicely. That being said, at your power levels the stock intake is not a restriction and of course is the easiest to tune because it is well understood and the factory mapping is available. If you want more turbo and BPV noise, a panel filter would certainly help with this.

Its ok to keep the intake, just tell your tuner which intake you have. That is a good pill size and you should be able to tune that turbo without a problem. If you are going to the expense of a tune, might as well package it together with the TMIC and do it all at once. TMIC is an easy install.

UPDATE:

Had the guys check it out and it turns out they had an air line crossed that go to the stock BOV. Connected them properly and cleared the CEL. Car runs perfectly fine now and idle is rock solid and car boosts very nicely.

I'm still going to move forward with suggestions made earlier but the car runs very fine as it is and very happy with the results.

Archived