LegacyGT.com

VF52 major boost creeeeeep!!!!!!!!!

LittleBlueGT

09 WRX (which has a VF52 from factory), mods:

-COBB stage run had CBE, Invidia DP w/ HFC

-0% WGDC run has the above mods + AEM CAI

IAT where 70F for both runs.

COBB tune I logged (but did not log WGDC) was with OEM intake, then we put on an AEM CAI (only physical mod difference between runs).

What the heck? Anyone think the Invidia DP's divider is blocking the WG door? If so, then why did the COBB run boost so much lower? (COBB tune was still overboosting a bit)

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/COBBstage2vsAEM0WGDC.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same gear for both pulls? Level ground in both cases, or on the same hill?

I have no theories, only questions. It doesn't make sense to me either.

There are no hills where I live.:( Both in 3rd gear. You should see it spike after a WOT shift!:eek:

Exact same road, same everything. Like I said, the only difference is the intake. How can an intake change things that much.

Two things we have to do: Check to see that WG door opens freely and does not hit divider in DP. If that doesn't work then we can put the OEM intake back on and log a 0% WGDC run.

:spin:

From my experience it seems every 1 out of 3 Invidia dp's divider is built incorrectly.

And you are correct. I have seen pics of the divider Invidia has, and ours is too big. I have also seen pics of the divider INvida makes for the VF52, it is much smaller.

I guess we get to grind.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know the part number.

The Invidia divider may have been touching the WG a bit, but after grinding down a very small portion of the divider we confirmed there was no contact what-so-ever.

We also switched to a single pill boost control (w/ OEM EBCS) system. This helped with the overboost, but the VF52 still creeps, we are 2 psi over target in the 61F IAT range. I cringe when we will be at -30F.

The other problem is that our gas is soo bad that with the OEM TMIC we have pulled a ton of timing but still get knock. It just gets too hot. A Perrin TMIC will be going on soon, so hopefully we can solve that. Our whp plots show the same in the heat where we don't overboost and can run decent timing, in the cooler weather we overboost and have to pull a ton of timing. It seems to be a losing battle.

Any ideas how to combat this boost creep?

Only things I can think of are:

1) EWG

2) take off turbine housing and port it (not sure how hard this is to do, and what the likelihood is of breaking something)

3)restricting exhaust by putting on stock CBE

4)restrict intake by putting OEM intake back on

5)run WI and successfully deal with heat

Any other ideas?

^ I vote ....:icon_twis

Try a Hallman Pro MBC:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2601987&postcount=223

Boost controller ain't gonna help. 0% WGDC results in overboost.

The problem is this guy just wants a simple set-up, but right now I am not confident letting him rev over 5000 rpms.

Boost controller ain't gonna help. 0% WGDC results in overboost.

0% does not mean the wastegate is 'only' running spring pressure..... see below....

Have you tried connecting the compressor nipple directly to the actuator just to rule out everything else in the boost control setup?

Yes guys I know. I did not run directly from the comp cover to the WG actuator. Nothing leads me to believe it will matter. At 0% WGDC the boost does this: (not even cold out yet):eek:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/0WGDC.jpg

Bad waste actuator?

I don't think so. Stage1 from COBB worked great. Stage2 wasn't too bad, but it was overboosting a bit.

Once we added the intake it seemed to make things even more efficient overboosting was a bit more.

I did run varying degrees (10-18 psi) of pressure manually through the WG and it moved a good 12-13mm, which is waaaay more then my actuator on my AVO380 moved (it wouldn't boost creep). My AVO380 actuator wold move about 4 mm with 20 psi going to it. My actuator on my VF40 moves about 12-133 mm with 11 psi going to it, pretty much the same as this VF52.

Yes guys I know. I did not run directly from the comp cover to the WG actuator.

I know you, not questioning you're intelligence hopefully it didn't sound like I was, but do you think its worth to try considering it'll take 5 minutes to confirm it hard-hosed from the comp to the wg?

I know you, not questioning you're intelligence hopefully it didn't sound like I was, but do you think its worth to try considering it'll take 5 minutes to confirm it hard-hosed from the comp to the wg?

True. Wish I had the car for a week, then I could easily play around with stuff like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived