LegacyGT.com

very odd noise that I cannot diagnose...

The noise is sort of an uneven rattling sound, coming from the rear end of the car (drivetrain related) ONLY when Im off the gas (with a decent amount of negative force on the drivetrain) and only after the car has been driving for 10 or 15 minutes. I Just got the 98 outback a couple months ago with a dying 2.5 and put a 2.2 in it.

• I Donated

Check your u-joints, carrier, and lateral link bushings.

How is your exhaust? Is it rusted? The baffles in the muffler might be making some noise.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

hahaha you have no idea how funny that is.... There are squirrels that got into the eves of our house and make noise all night. They show no mercy!

Anyway back to the car, I jacked it up before and there is no wiggle at all...

I jacked it up before and there is no wiggle at all...

That's what the she-squirrel said!

In all seriousness, though, is it possible for you to get some audio of the noise with a cellphone or something? Might help us out a lot in helping you. I would be curious to know what it sounds like.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a 4eat and the rear dif has bee making noise since the first time I drove it. I immediately changed the fluid (which seemed to be fairly new). Nothing changed it still whines. Changed the Trans fluid twice and it still shifts a little funny. Thats an unrelated issue though. And no, it has nothing to do with audio or anything electrical. Radio on off no difference. It's definitely mechanical once the car is completely warmed up. I found some guy in Manchester NH that seems to be pretty respectable. Taking it there on Monday to see if it gets diagnosed.

So got this guy to ride with me, and he said hes almost positive that its the rear diff. He works on a bunch of subarus and vws and seemed very knowledgeable. He told me to wait until it gets much worse before I go and change it. He also said if it was the trans it would be a much harsher grinding/cracking sort of sound and that he thought the trans was fine. Maybe Ill just drive it until the spring and attempt to throw in a manual. always up for a project

yep, diff. it isn't too hard to replace,I just did mine a couple months ago. you will likely need a 4.44 diff, which can come from pretty much any 2.5 auto. if you do your research there are a few cars that have LSD 4.44's.

from memory, Forester XT's have 4.44 LSD regardless or which trans they have, as do Baja turbos and Outback turbos.

any 4EAT 2.5 will have a 4.44, and IIRC after 01 or 02 the outbacks and a few other cars had the LSD standard, but i could be wrong, I know any car 02+ with the cold weather package should have it. It you want something more substantial than the VLSD we got in the US, these JDM cars had the 4.44 Helical LSD either standard or as an option, but will likely require new axles at least to fit, maybe more.

MY00 Legacy RSK (option)

MY01 Legacy RSK and GT-B (option)

and any Ver. IV- Ver. VI WRX STi RA should have it.

• I Donated
from memory, Forester XT's have 4.44 LSD regardless or which trans they have, as do Baja turbos and Outback turbos.

I hope you're talking about newer outbacks lol

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

great thanks for the info ThirdMan. I may just start a project in the spring and attempt to put in a manual. Id like to see if I could actually figure out how to do it. Ill just find a donor car. Itll last quite a bit longer with a dying diff I figure. Ill just have to drive it in FWD mode for now, unless it snows.

Be forewarned, you'll probibly get alot of folks telling you not to drive around in FWD mode. This is the advice from the factory, but I have never talked to someone who can tell me exactly what will happen, i ran mine in FWD for a good 7-8mo and it seems to work fine, but mine is a phase II trans. not saying don't do it, but just know that supposedly it can cause problems.

Yeah thats what I was wondering... Im sure it'll be fine *knock on wood* I love how the FWD light in the dash is red, like its as bad as the oil pressure light or the battery light. Hopefully I'll be taking it for a 1,000 mile roadtrip come christmas

Archived