LegacyGT.com

How to verify car is a PZEV

Had a strange experience today. I purchased my car from Clay Subaru in Norwood and the car had PZEV emblem on the trunk it looks original but is faded. I went to purchase a new emblem at Subaru Parts Online they asked me for my VIN number I provided it to them and they told me sorry but your car is not a PZEV the previous owner might have put the emblem on. Ha ha this purchase gets worse every day however I wanted to find out is there a relatively easy way to determine if my 2008 Legacy 2.5i 4 spd auto is a PZEV or not?

Did the dealer you bought it from advertise it as a PZEV? If they did I would go ask them how they verified that it is a PZEV and possibly get the new emblem from them. And then if they did advertise it that way and it in fact was not a PZEV I would start causing problems for them :lol:

I was looking for an emissions sticker but all I see is the AC Sticker and I don't see anything there that says PZEV. The dealer didn't advertise it as anything special but it has a PZEV emblem on it already. I will cause a major issue with them if indeed it isn't a PZEV as far as I am concerned that is false advertising when purchasing from a dealer if I bought it private and someone put one on and I just assumed that would be one thing but an actual Subaru dealership should verify everything about the car as far as I am concerned. I still think that the car is a PZEV the emblem is worn and there is no other indication that it isn't other than one person telling me that it isn't and I don't trust that. I will post Subaru's reply to my question about the PZEV'ness of the car as soon as they reply to my request.

I've never heard of a non-pzev 2.5i in 2008. I have also never heard of a 4spd auto in a 2008 leggy. Sooooooo.... Are you sure that have a 2008, is it a 5eat, or a gt/3.0r?
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I've never heard of a non-pzev 2.5i in 2008. I have also never heard of a 4spd auto in a 2008 leggy. Sooooooo.... Are you sure that have a 2008, is it a 5eat, or a gt/3.0r?

Yes it is a 2008 Legacy 2.5i 4spd automatic. Again I am thinking that the parts person is wrong and I am hoping Subaru can shed some light on how to check this. There is supposed to be an emissions sticker under the hood but I don't see anything indicating something specific about emissions there I am going to go out and check again now just to be absolutely sure.

If I understand correctly this site says that PZEV is a spec to meet California standards that was still sold other places. But it seems there is another model that was not the PZEV as well - basically just a non-PZEV spec 2.5i.

Emissions, depending on your state

Fed Spec: Certified low emission LEV2

California spec: PZEV, Super Low Emission Vehicle SULEV for sale in CA, CT, NH, NY, MA, MS, RI, VT

Californic PZEV spec cars are available for sale in all 50 states but only offered standard in CA, CT, NH, NY, MA, MS, RI, and VT with the 15year/150,000 mile emission warranty.

oh .. just connect your exhaust to your house and let it run over night .. if you live its a pzev

but my understanding the pzev is only better /" cleaner" at engine start up and shut down.

regular driving is the same

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

2.5i were either 4 speed auto or 5 mt ,, the new option is cvt or 5 mt

as far as i know 2.5i was never sold with 5 eat

I thought all fourth gen autos were 5's. I guess I don't spend enough time in the n/a forum.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

oh .. just connect your exhaust to your house and let it run over night .. if you live its a pzev

but my understanding the pzev is only better /" cleaner" at engine start up and shut down.

regular driving is the same

I pretty sure the PZEV has to do with emissions and how the CAT cleans up the exhaust on the way out. So PZEV is working all the time; not just at start up/ shut down.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

I didn't intend for this to be a discussion if PZEV is important, works well or is necessary. I personally think progress in a technology is good especially if allows me to still have a car I enjoy and have some peace of mind about the environment. I make no judgement for anyone else. When it comes to buying what I wanted and what I was led to believe I purchased that is when I become a stickler. I am not sure yet if my car is a PZEV or not and I realize that the car has great emissions either way. I don't like being lied to especially when I am buying something for 14k that is a lot of money. Plus I think it would be interesting to know how to verify this anyway might be useful for others.

The man in the Green Suit is the venerable Charlie Day.

Archived