LegacyGT.com

Vehicle Dynamics Control PRO's/CON's

New to 2009 models is the Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) feature which "constantly monitors vehicle stability. It senses impending loss of control, and applies individual brakes and/or reduces engine power to help keep you on your intended path."

It seems to be primarily a safety-related feature...probably intended for rain/snow/ice or otherwise loss of traction.

My question is if you disable VDC by using the off button, do you get slightly better performance or acceleration? I would like to be one in control of the engine, not a computer...unless I am driving in dangerous conditions.

I wonder if that automated process sometimes interferes with rapid acceleration or 0 - 60 performance?

I would say that having it off would potentially make you go faster.

If you had so much power such that you were spinning wheels, the traction control would back the power off so that the wheels would hook up. Great for control, not so great for going as fast as possible. The little braking it'd do at each corner to keep your straight, would slow you down too.

Of course, if you end up in a ditch, because the traction control is off, then you'd loose all of the previously mentioned advantage :)

True enough...I've heard from a few other people that they like to mostly turn it off. Definitely if I was in the mountains or driving in the snow I would keep it on. Otherwise I don't like the "auto pilot" taking control.

To whoever thinks 2007,8,9 Ouback have a turbo, 5MT and VDC in the same package, you are wrong. If you have VTD and a turbo you have an automatic. If you have a manual X-mission and a turbo you have LSD but no VTD. If you have manual and VTD, then you have a 2.5i without LSD. This way the entire lineup has VTD. But no VTD and LSD. the only 2 cars sold in US by Subaru to feature that are the STI and the SPEC.

2009_outback.pdf

f1anatic, this is only true for US-built Subarus. For Europe and other parts of the world there are other options of VDC.

I have been driving my with VDC for three years now and it really is good. And switch it off only for playing where there's no other traffic.

:)

Yeah VDC is actually pretty great. It will not keep you from going nuts in slippery conditions, but it helps a little to keep the car under control. You can still spin the wheels and whatever while it's on. It isn't very intrusive, in my opinion. When I'm doing donuts in the snow in a parking lot though, the car is much easier to rotate with VDC off. But with it on, the car feels like its grip and weight distribution changed, it doesn't feel like a computer trying to control the same car. If that makes any sense.

I dont think VDC will affect 0-60 times unless the system senses wheel slip during accel. VDC's main benefit is during foul weather and accident avoidance. if at a track or autox event, i would not have vdc on, as it will make you go slower there.

f1anatic, this is only true for US-built Subarus. For Europe and other parts of the world there are other options of VDC.

I have been driving my with VDC for three years now and it really is good. And switch it off only for playing where there's no other traffic.

I've been talking about this on a Romanian forum with like-minded Subaru enthusiasts and ... it is the same conclusion. 5MT does not have LSD and VTD.

Clickie here: and select SAFETY

http://www.subaru.co.uk/Subaru_co_uk/ViewMenu.qed?menuid=M0M4M6

It is as good as it gets since they do not list the same for the Outback line. This is the UK offering

2.0 - no VDC; no LSD, regardless of manual or auto

2.0diesel - yes VDC; no LSD, offered as manual only

2.5 SE - no LSD; no VDC, offered just as auto

3.0 R spec B - the auto has LSD & VDC; the manual has LSD but no VDC

This is true for the 07-09 model years for sure because the boys confirmed. I doubt Romania gets different Subarus than Sweden though UK may get the pure JDM spec.

My Outback 3.0R is an Euro-Spec: Auto with VDC & LSD

UK also gets Euro Spec which differs from US-spec:

Alloy hood and rear liftgate

HID+Washer

KYB Self-Leveling Rear Struts

215-55-17 Yokohama G900 POS tires

No subframe lifting washers (I think)

better looking nose :D

Smaller front & rear bumpers with exhaust cut-outs.

None functional POS roof racks (same as LGT's)

Semi-Dark-Chrome-Like Painted wheels (same style as US-Spec)

JDM model add:

forged alloy suspension (same as Spec-B)

Power Lift Gate

Special models with silver roof rack and red/black leather interior (Called Urban Edition I think)

I have an 08 with VDC and I just replaced it with an 09 2.5xt 5mt and I only turn it off when I am driving fast or in a hurry sence I do alot of weaving in and out of cars. I also turn it off when I auto cross, its is terribly intrusve then.

Otherwise no turning it off for normal driving will give you 0 improvment. It is designed to prevent spinning out. I dont know how you do that in an awd car, because whats all wheels lost traction your pretty screwed but the system does ok in preventing the car from getting tail happy.

I've been talking about this on a Romanian forum with like-minded Subaru enthusiasts and ... it is the same conclusion. 5MT does not have LSD and VTD.

Clickie here: and select SAFETY

http://www.subaru.co.uk/Subaru_co_uk/ViewMenu.qed?menuid=M0M4M6

It is as good as it gets since they do not list the same for the Outback line. This is the UK offering

2.0 - no VDC; no LSD, regardless of manual or auto

2.0diesel - yes VDC; no LSD, offered as manual only

2.5 SE - no LSD; no VDC, offered just as auto

3.0 R spec B - the auto has LSD & VDC; the manual has LSD but no VDC

This is true for the 07-09 model years for sure because the boys confirmed. I doubt Romania gets different Subarus than Sweden though UK may get the pure JDM spec.

All models have VDC here in Sweden. Even 5MT with all petrol and diesel engines. Even 6MT in Forester diesel have VDC.

-06 model only had VDC on auto gearbox models.

We also have rear LSD on all Outback and Forester models. I think it is called internal Subaru as 'cold weather package'. Included is also heated lower part of front window and some more stuff :)

All models have VDC here in Sweden. Even 5MT with all petrol and diesel engines. Even 6MT in Forester diesel have VDC.

-06 model only had VDC on auto gearbox models.

We also have rear LSD on all Outback and Forester models. I think it is called internal Subaru as 'cold weather package'. Included is also heated lower part of front window and some more stuff :)

Is there a way to tell us what rear differential you have ? I really think that if you have VDC on a 5MT then you do not have LSD. The viscous rear differential was incompatible with VDC. It sounds weird that Subaru would install a Torsen rear diff on 5mt cars for just the northern european markets. Cold weather package here is just heated seats and wipers and mirrors. But again, I could be wrong.

New to 2009 models is the Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) feature which "constantly monitors vehicle stability. It senses impending loss of control, and applies individual brakes and/or reduces engine power to help keep you on your intended path."

It seems to be primarily a safety-related feature...probably intended for rain/snow/ice or otherwise loss of traction.

My question is if you disable VDC by using the off button, do you get slightly better performance or acceleration? I would like to be one in control of the engine, not a computer...unless I am driving in dangerous conditions.

I wonder if that automated process sometimes interferes with rapid acceleration or 0 - 60 performance?

My 06 OB 3.0R has the VTD drive system but not VDC. My 09 WRX has VDC but not the VTD system.....

The WRX guys shut it off in autocross as it might slow you down in cornering. It's hard to come up with a scenario where you'd be accelerating in a straight line and invoke it.

The only time I've seen it turn on was driving up a very steep unplowed hill. I could feel the car twitch a bit as it braked a wheel to stop wheel spin, but wasn't real obtrusive.

I'll have to go out and play around on some ice. I've only had the WRX for 5400 miles but haven't found the VDC to be at all intrusive. And as I have good snow tires on both of them having it or not has not made a difference.

On our Accord V6's, we have to shut off traction control when starting on a snow or ice covered hill because it limits the power to the drive wheels so much you can't accelerate. But I haven't seen that happen with eitehr Subaru.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Is there a way to tell us what rear differential you have ? I really think that if you have VDC on a 5MT then you do not have LSD. The viscous rear differential was incompatible with VDC. It sounds weird that Subaru would install a Torsen rear diff on 5mt cars for just the northern european markets. Cold weather package here is just heated seats and wipers and mirrors. But again, I could be wrong.

It is a viscous rear LSD, torsen is only on spec.B and Impreza wrx. From year -06 VDC was only present on 4eat gearbox and 5eat. From -07 VDC was also present on 5mt and 6mt. According to Subaru Sweden, Outback and Forester do have rear viscous LSD and VDC.

You may be right. but this info right here does not negate my statement:

LEGACY

(VTD Standard på 3.0R och 3.0R spec.B, samt 2.5i/2.0R med automatisk växellåda). http://www.subaru.se/legacy_sakerhet1.aspx On the Legacy line it is available with the automatic gearboxes. And the fantastic site crashed on me...I cannot load anything anymore. Obviously you'd understand the language; not me.

OUTBACK

Standard på 3.0R och 2.5i med automatlåda

http://www.subaru.se/outback_sakerhet1.aspx

I am not trying to contradict you in a language that I do not know.

It may show here that it is standard on all cars

http://www.subaru.se/outback_standardutrustning.aspx

http://www.subaru.se/outback_specifikationer.aspx

I think the issue is this:

Enkelskivig torrkoppling

is this some sort of trque coupling (TORSEN) ? Cause if that is the rear differential then it is fine. What I am saying is; unless they put a Torsen on the rear diffs, you cannot have manual transmission; VDC and LSD. And looks like your car has it.

the viscous middle difff has no impact on its ability to have VDC.

I have an 08 with VDC and I just replaced it with an 09 2.5xt 5mt and I only turn it off when I am driving fast or in a hurry sence I do alot of weaving in and out of cars.

Is it only me or are these two of the best reasons for having VDC, when driving fast (besides autoX) and weaving through cars? What good does it do to turn off VDC when you are weaving through cars, if you loose control because the car that you were going to pass just changed lanes with no blinker, the VDC will correct you when you crank the wheel to miss said car and save a twenty car pileup.

Anyway this VDC system that subaru has is one of the most unobtrusive systems out there. It will let you swing the tail around until you countersteer and then whamo you are straight again, try that with a system from any other car company except maybe BMW. In the snow pin it to the floor and the VDC will find you traction, I think it is a very good option to have.

You may be right. but this info right here does not negate my statement:

LEGACY

(VTD Standard på 3.0R och 3.0R spec.B, samt 2.5i/2.0R med automatisk växellåda). http://www.subaru.se/legacy_sakerhet1.aspx On the Legacy line it is available with the automatic gearboxes. And the fantastic site crashed on me...I cannot load anything anymore. Obviously you'd understand the language; not me.

OUTBACK

Standard på 3.0R och 2.5i med automatlåda

http://www.subaru.se/outback_sakerhet1.aspx

I am not trying to contradict you in a language that I do not know.

It may show here that it is standard on all cars

http://www.subaru.se/outback_standardutrustning.aspx

http://www.subaru.se/outback_specifikationer.aspx

I think the issue is this:

Enkelskivig torrkoppling

is this some sort of trque coupling (TORSEN) ? Cause if that is the rear differential then it is fine. What I am saying is; unless they put a Torsen on the rear diffs, you cannot have manual transmission; VDC and LSD. And looks like your car has it.

the viscous middle difff has no impact on its ability to have VDC.

Yes on those pages you can see that VDC is standard on all models here in Sweden. But that is not a torsen diff, just a clutch-pack center differential. Rear is a viscous LSD on Outback and Forester. I will try to get some good info to post about it later.

Anyhow.. i've never been stuck. And i've been seriously out in deep snow steep.

Is it only me or are these two of the best reasons for having VDC, when driving fast (besides autoX) and weaving through cars? What good does it do to turn off VDC when you are weaving through cars, if you loose control because the car that you were going to pass just changed lanes with no blinker, the VDC will correct you when you crank the wheel to miss said car and save a twenty car pileup.

Anyway this VDC system that subaru has is one of the most unobtrusive systems out there. It will let you swing the tail around until you countersteer and then whamo you are straight again, try that with a system from any other car company except maybe BMW. In the snow pin it to the floor and the VDC will find you traction, I think it is a very good option to have.

+1 on all that.

+2. This winter when we had some good snow, I went to an empty parking lot and did some donuts. I forgot to turn off VDC, and the rotation worked just fine. It was only when I let off the gas or straightened out - wham! - car went straight as an arrow. I had to disable it to get a good exit drift going, but it didn't stop the donut fun.

Frankly, I was pretty skeptical about VDC when I first bought my spec.b, but now I am a believer. I've run it through the ringer, and I bet it would actually improve your auto-X times. Unless you know another way to brake only the wheels on opposite corners?:lol:

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Archived