LegacyGT.com

Valve cover gasket replacement questions

My passenger side VC gasket is starting to leak fairly badly and I have read almost every thread here on VCG replacement. Seems like a fairly straight-forward job. I do have a few questions though:

Does anyone have a link to where can I find the special tool to remove/reuse those odd clips on two vent tubes?

Do I Permatex the entire gasket or just certain leak-prone areas?

Does anything else need to be replaced for this job due to wear and tear? (Just want to make sure I have everything I need right from the start)

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

cn

Get yourself spark plug tube seals too, I went with aftermarket since they are enormously cheaper then OEM. Also get the half moons.

Part Numbers:

OEM RH Gasket: 13270AA190

OEM LH Gasket: 13272AA140

OEM Half Moons: 11051AA070

OEM Spark Tube Gasket: 13293AA051

Beck/Arnley Spark Tube Gaskets (2 Per Pkg): 039-6592

I did use Parmatex all over the bottom of the gasket just to be safe.

The pliers are Click-R Type clamp pliers, you can get them on eBay.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Thanks, cr.

I am trying to order parts from subaruparts dot com. This might be a dumb question - how many half moons do I need? I am guessing two per side. Looks like they are 1 piece per order.

Also, do you have a good site to order the Beck/Arnley st gaskets?

Go with one of the forum vendors like Underdog, he's a local on this forum and has very good prices. If you can't wait try the local dealer, their prices weren't bad either, but I had to wait 3 days with dealer anyway. Next time just going straight to Underdog haha.

4 half moons total, two per side. You only need them if you damage them. Thus I bought 2 extra to be safe, but reused all of the stock ones.

Rockauto.com is the place to go for anything aftermarket. They also have a typical 5% discount that you can easily find online. Otherwise you can check out amazon. I usually shop between those two for aftermarket parts.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

One last dumb question (for now) - My engine is only leaking on passenger side at this point, so only fixing what's broken. When ordering passenger side gasket, would that be left side or right side gasket? Not sure if side is determined while standing in front of car or sitting in it. Like I said, dumb question.

Also, see the FSM for how to apply the RTV, for which you will use Permatex UltraBlack, or risk doing it twice. The RTV is applied sort of 50/50, part on head, part on top of vc gasket.

Stop at the dollar store and grab a couple 3M green scrubby pads from the cleaning section. Keep your choreboy or steel wool for smoking your rocks, it's too harsh for the soft aluminium, but you need to ensure that all mating surfaces are clean, clean, clean!

On that note: Grab plenty of brakekleen while you're at it!

Thanks, Apexi and MrTris. Just received last item in mail today, so hopefully will have this done tomorrow.

I believe somewhere in the forum I saw the diagram for permatex application and now I am having trouble finding it. Does anyone have link to that thread?

Also, see the FSM for how to apply the RTV, for which you will use Permatex UltraBlack, or risk doing it twice. The RTV is applied sort of 50/50, part on head, part on top of vc gasket.

+1

Fujibond is the Subaru magic formula

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, I have hit a wall, literally. Easily removed 8 bolts on passenger side (only side I am doing), but my engine is too close to side wall of car to remove coil packs from spark plugs. I was wishfully hoping I wouldn't need to jack up engine, but looks like I have no choice now. Grrr.

2 more questions:

How do I pop those two hoses off valve cover???? I removed the one clip, but can't figure out easiest way to pull hoses without damaging them.

Next, there appears to be too much crap in way to slide cover out of there. Am I pulling from top of engine bay or out the bottom?

you don't need to do that. I never had problems removing the coil packs on that side. I did it on two different cars without jacking up the engine. You may have to rotate the coil pack like 180 deg. Just be patient. It'll come out.

That's what I did. I unclipped them and rotated. Damn tight in there though.

2 more questions:

How do I pop those two hoses off valve cover???? I removed the one clip, but can't figure out easiest way to pull hoses without damaging them.

Next, there appears to be too much crap in way to slide cover out of there. Am I pulling from top of engine bay or out the bottom?

To be honest, I still have not tackled this job. But when I had to change my pcv valve, I did take out those hoses attached to the valve cover. They're pretty stuck in there but they should eventually come out. You could use a large screw driver, try to *gently* pry the hose off of the valve cover and after that you should be able to pull them out.

Good advice. Cover is popped off and two tube disconnected.

For the life of me, I cannot see how to get cover out of engine bay. From underneath, headers and uppipe are in way. From top, about 50 things are in the way, including multitudes of tubes that carry majority of fluids in the car.

I am tempted to remove headers and loosen uppipe to get out of there.

Archived