LegacyGT.com

Vacuum hose for boost gauge

abakja1

does anyone know the size rubber vacuum hose to get?

I measured 7/32" but was hugh at the store when I looked at the size of the vacuum hose itself compared to the short length one I have,...

5/32" was smaller and looked to be the right size, but was tight fitting on the metal adapter for my boost gauge,..

Just asking cause I wonder if there would be an inaccurate reading if I went to big or small on the vacuum hose,...

thanks

I run rubber, windshield wiper hoses to be exact, it doesnt expand as much as people think.. there's a better chance for nylon to break because it's that much harder (as in not as flexible and easy to rub up on something and cut a hole in it) and the wall thickness on nylon (assuming a 3/16" ID) isnt as thick as a typical windshield wiper hose. You want the rubber hose to be tight enough and use a small hose clamp or even a good sized zip-tie to hold it down in place. Remember, it's only boosting around 16 to 21 psi, it doesn't need to be like a fuel or oil line at over 100 psi. If that was the case, you need to look into steel-braided brake lines as your boost/vacuum hose.
Keefe

I run rubber, windshield wiper hoses to be exact, it doesnt expand as much as people think.. there's a better chance for nylon to break because it's that much harder (as in not as flexible and easy to rub up on something and cut a hole in it) and the wall thickness on nylon (assuming a 3/16" ID) isnt as thick as a typical windshield wiper hose. You want the rubber hose to be tight enough and use a small hose clamp or even a good sized zip-tie to hold it down in place. Remember, it's only boosting around 16 to 21 psi, it doesn't need to be like a fuel or oil line at over 100 psi. If that was the case, you need to look into steel-braided brake lines as your boost/vacuum hose.

Thanks,..exactly why I wanted to get rubber/wiper fluid type hose cause the nylon one I got snaked from pass. side rubber grommet to cubby kinked in a couple of places and Im not sure if Im getting an accurate reading..

Im going to relocate my gauge from cubby to A-pillar side and going to route thru the fender side,...Checker's got 50ft of 5/32" hose for about $16 on the web,...

Archived