LegacyGT.com

Used STI control Arms

iggybdawg

EDIT - WARNING: These aren't the same size as Legacy control arms so you'll need a pile of other parts to make these work. I'm still figuring it out. EDIT

I picked up a pair of used STI control arms from Dirt Fish rally school.

http://store.dirtfish.com/STiControlArms

They have no bushings or ball joints. Is there any difference from the spec B and sti ball joints (price or physically)? I know I also need to ask for the mounting hardware like that plastic sleeve and self locking nut.

I have some subarubucks and I'm going to get the bushings and brakepads from Fred Beans, so should I just call them up? If so is there anyone I need to ask for?

Edited by iggybdawg
warning for newcomers to this thread

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$50 for left and right ?? These will fit lgt's ?

They should. If you wait, I'll report back with pics when I get it all together and on the car. They're only $50, but there's no bushings, and not all pairs had ball joints. They were used at a rally school, so they are beat up, but not bent.

ok, so I only need to buy the cone and self locking nut, then reuse my stock ball joint? I've autocrossed the car stock for five years (Northwest Region SCCA street tire champion last 2), so that's why I was thinking maybe I should buy a new ball joint while the suspension is apart.

The front end got loose and squeaky last month, so I crawled underneath the grease up the swaybar bushings, saw they and the control arm bushings were all beat up to hell, and the stock endlinks had one of the rubber boots shot out rustwater like a zit when I touched it.

My friend is an instructor at dirtfish and was complaining they need to figure out how to get rid of these, so be sure to say Brian sent you if you buy a pair. It may be awhile before I actually install them, because I need to buy the bushings and want to buy RCE coilovers, too.

Edited by iggybdawg
adding more info

They came via UPS today. The box included some sort of mounting hardware that seems to not be related to the ball joints. The only difference I can see from the spec B control arm pictures I've seen are these extra brackets with two holes.

I still need to make an order from Fred Beans for bushings and brake pads, and I guess I'll go by the local subaru dealer for the plastic sleeves and ball joints.

IMG_20111104_180730.thumb.jpg.bd9fe48730df873fab273717d27ef93c.jpg

They may or may not fit, but they have different part #. I'd speculate they are wider than LGT's or even non-STI Impreza in order to give STI the wider track it has.

You may get interesting front suspension geometry with it. Widening the track in front in theory should increase front grip and reduce understeer. I think it may net you ability to dial more negative camber.

By the way, why is the rally school place selling these? Beat up so they replace them or because they run something different?

Edited by unclemat

They may not fit, but they have different part #. I'd speculate they are wider than LGT's or even non-STI Impreza in order to give STI the wider track it has.

You may get interesting front suspension geometry with it. Widening the track in front in theory should increase front grip and reduce understeer. I think it may net you ability to dial more negative camber.

By the way, why is the rally school place selling these? Beat up so they replace them or because they run something different?

I crawled under the car and placed these sti arms over the steel ones. They seem to be the same size, but I'll measure and take pics when I'm swapping over.

I asked my friend who's an instructor why they're selling these, but I didn't hear back. I've signed up for their class (they're having a half off sale that ends tonight at midnight!) and they have an option to purchase insurance saying you're liable for damages if you wreck their car. It was only $25 extra, so I bought it just in case. So maybe these arms are parted out off of wrecked cars.

My local dealer (walking distance) wanted $50 each for the ball joints and $22 each for the plastic cones, plus wait for them to get special ordered. I'm going to call Fred Beans this week. The cones don't appear anywhere on their website. None of the OEM parts catalog websites let you specify STI for Impreza parts or Spec B for Legacy parts.

the cones are not plastic, they are metal. the part # is 20216FA000 and they are $11 each at FBP if you just type that part# in the website here- http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=216335

also if you look at the pic in post #12 of this thread it looks like the cones are there on the studs in the box.

the cones are not plastic, they are metal. the part # is 20216FA000 and they are $11 each at FBP if you just type that part# in the website here- http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=216335

also if you look at the pic in post #12 of this thread it looks like the cones are there on the studs in the box.

Awesome. Thanks! I wonder if the guy at my local subie dealer quoted $22 for the pair. Anyway, shipping on such a large order will be less than WA state salestax.

I'm still waiting on Fred Beans' subarubucks handshake. I put a request in Friday night and they haven't sent me the UPS shipping label yet.

So, this will definitely take me out of the "stock" class. Do you have a list of your mods somewhere? I plan to mod one piece at a time, and don't mind if it takes me a year or two to get competitive again, whether it's STU or ESP.

I see no cones on that stud. And the stud itself (which looks like a stud that rear bushing goes on to) is too thick for the cones to fit on.