LegacyGT.com

US warranty valid in Canada

slingo56

I have read some comments on the forum lately that questioned the validity of the warranty in Canada on a vehicle purchased in the US. Please see below the response to my question from Subaru of America. At first read this seeems cut and dry but on second and third reading I find it a little ambiguous? Am I over analyzing here?

Thank you for visiting the Subaru of America Web site and for your interest in Subaru products. Subaru of America and Subaru Canada have a reciprocal warranty agreement wherein we support the warranties on each other's vehicles when driven in the other country.

You will need to check with the Registrar to see if you can import a US spec 2007 Subaru vehicle into Canada. In order for the Canadian Registrar to allow a US spec 2007 Subaru vehicle to be imported into Canada, they need confirmation from Subaru Canada that our 2007 models meet the standards of Canada.

If Subaru Canada has not provided this information to the Canadian Registrar, you will need to check with Subaru Canada regarding this. Subaru Canada, Inc. may be visited on-line (www.subaru.ca) or by contacting 5990 Falborne Street - Mississauga, Ontario L5R3S7 - Phone: 905-568-4959 - Fax: 905-568-8087.

We hope that Subaru Canada can further assist you with your needs.

Best wishes,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

-----------------------------------------------------------

YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

Could you please tell me if a new 2007 Subaru vehicle purchased from a US dealer by a Canadian citizen and then imported into Canada would have the vehicle warranty honored in Canada by Canadian dealers?

My next Subaru will likely be imported from the US. The price differential is just too great to ignore.

Tom

+1 on that

the price difference on most cars is like $5k+, on a porsche turbo its like $25k difference! well worth the effort

No duties under NAFTA if manufactured in the US (Legacy). I believe the Impreza would carry a 6.1% duty. Taxes are the same on the Canadian side regardless of where purchased. Pay approx $225 import fee and you are good to go. I imported a travel trailer last year and it was easy. Saved about $5k. Looking at saving over $10k on a Legacy GT. Difference is too much to ignore. Subaru of Canada is gouging, plain and simple.

• 2 weeks later...

This does not sound as good (Response from Subaru Canada):

Thank you for contacting Subaru Canada, Inc. We regret the delay in our reply.

There exists a reciprocal warranty agreement between Subaru of America and Subaru Canada, Inc. This agreement covers US vehicle owners who have purchased US vehicles and currently reside and/or are traveling, transferred, or vacationing in Canada. The intent of the reciprocal warranty agreement is to allow US visitors the benefit of emergency warranty repairs while in Canada.

As it is an uncommon practice and only meant to offer assistance to US citizens vacationing or in transit through Canada your dealer may encounter difficulties determining if a repair is warrantable which may in turn delay the repair process. This program was not designed to accommodate Canadian residents who have purchased a Subaru vehicle in the United States for the purpose of importing the car into Canada.

Should you decide to import a US vehicle into Canada you will need to contact the NRIV (National Registrar of Imported Vehicles) at 1-888-848-8240 or online at www.riv.ca for additional information regarding this process.

We trust this information is helpful.

• 1 year later...

sorry to resurrect from the dead...

from what the dealer told me, when i bought my 2008 Spec b, was that warranty repairs are covered but you must pay up front for any work done, then submit your paperwork and dealer invoices to SOA for reembursment. IF they decided to go forward and give you your money back, they are likely to say that the dealer service for labour was to high, as you would be paying regular shop rates (as high as $109/hr here in my city).

With a NEW 2008 Spec B listing at $33,995 in the us, and a NEW 2008 Spec B listing at $37,995 in canada... i chose the route of buying here, getting extended warranty (which wouldnt be possible buying in the states), free oil changes for life at my dealer, and not to mention not having to pay the gas bill or put the miles on the car to get it home (cause you really shouldnt drive at a constant speed until after breakin)

Remember too that you are still paying GST(or was it pst) of 7% when you go to register the car (at least in saskabush and manitoba). I dont know if you are required to get a safety (i cant see why you wouldnt need to)

so by the time you factor it all out, you initally were saving $4000, minus gas ($300~ depending on where you got it from), taxes are in the wash because your going to pay state tax (indiana (where the car is made) is 7% i believe?) then pay again when you register the car in canada, ive seen border fees between $300 and $1000 (taking a middle of $650)

no we are at a savings of roughly $3000, not including the wear and tear on the car, and the lost time (unless your on vacation)

im just ball parking my numbers until i can get conformation on some tax%'s and other expierences of people i know.

$3000 is a lot of money to me, but my time is worth quite a bit, as well as peice of mind, and having a dash in kph not mph

dont read too much into this post, im bored and though id share my view on importing a brand new car.... now if it were a used car, no warranty etc... now thats a different story

cheers !

Jay

Before buying in the states, I'd give a Canadian dealer a call, especially when the model year is near its end.

There's almost always a hefty rebate when paying cash, recently they were offering 8000 off the LGT.

I got a 6500 rebate on my 2.5i plus all kinds of fees waived and a few freebees. It stickered at 26590 and I ended up paying only 18400, 1k less than US invoice.

Give it a shot at least, there's always a deal to be had...

I spoke to SOA about warranties a little while back, specifically extended warranties and they said that the extended SOA warranty is valid in Canada, but it is at the specific dealer's choice if they accept it. They said some Canadian dealers may not honor it so it would be specific to your dealership. I did not get into detail with the person on the phone about how they can refuse warranty from SOA or anything, but just thought i would share my experience on US/Canadian SOA stuff.

Archived