LegacyGT.com

Uppipe Resistor Fix Question

malvic

Picked up a catless STI Uppipe. Going to get this installed. I'm going to be in the USA next week so will stop by at a Radio Shack and pick up the resistor mentioned in this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/unofficial-05-06-lgt-2-2k-5w-resistor-up-pipe-install-cel-131488.html

The question I have for those that have done this fix, did the resistor ever fail and therefore you got a check engine?

Thanks!

I've run my resistor-fix for nearly 5 years, now!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Or you could have just PM'd me and mailed me a SASE (thats a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope for you 21st century types) and I would have sent you a resistor or two. I got a five pack so I have extras. I could have even pre-cut it for you :lol:

I've run my resistor-fix for nearly 5 years, now!

^ BTW, I should note - I overkilled my "protection" of that exposed area.

I liberally electrical-taped, but also used some heat-reflective tape, too.

I don't know if any of these measures somehow or another helped the life of the resistor, since I'm no engineer :p - but it made me feel better! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I doubt it made any difference with the resistor but I am almost 100% certain it helped keep the socket clean, dry and from shorting.

I am no engineer either but have a schit-ton of experience with rc vehicles and waterproofing sensitive, high amp electronics.

^ Hey, that sounds reasonable to me, too! :)

^ seriously no need for a pic it looks almost exactly like this:

---------------<==>---------------

Just cut off 50% of the wire, bend 90 degrees at both ends of the resistor forming a U and insert it into the socket.

You CAN'T go wrong unless you don't cut enough wire or too much. 50% is actually conservative - most will cut more but I did not want to put that in the instructions to account for variance of what people consider 50%

You know you did not cut enough wire when the resistor sticks far out of the socket. You know you cut too much (DOH) when your CEL does not go away! :lol:

This CEL can be cleared with an AP or OS tune but why not fix it with a proper electrical fix? It is so cheap and easy.

This was covered in the walkthrough...

There is no reason anyone MUST do this. Indeed, it seems that anyone tossing the catted up and EGT is also going to get a tune so they can clear the CEL. Personally, I saw no reason not to spend $1 and do the mechanical fix. Certainly it is not critical but I am happy with my $1 mod.

Mine didn't work. I know there are tables that change your tune based on EGT, but don't know whether it makes any difference if you just clear the code.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Bad resistor? Not plugged in correctly?

I'm also back to Stage I with COBB and car is driving nice.

I'll try again eventually, but for now it's fine with code cleared.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived