LegacyGT.com

Uppipe Question

Bret

Can you define "best" one? Best is really a matter of opinion.

IMO the "best" one is the one that does the job well for the cheapest amount of money. On Ebay there is an up for 10-20$+20$ shipping that another member is running and it seems to be working great.

IYO the "best" one may be the one that costs $300 and gives you spool 100rpm sooner or whatever.

A lot of people seem to be running sti up.

Want my stock 08 SpecB uppipe? Its from a SpecB so its worth at least 10HP, lol. I tried the $30 delivered uppipe from eBay and it fit with no leaks and its SHINY, lol. I dont think any are "best". I run a Cobb now, but its more for "bling" than anything (and its not shiny).

Want my stock 08 SpecB uppipe? Its from a SpecB so its worth at least 10HP, lol. I tried the $30 delivered uppipe from eBay and it fit with no leaks and its SHINY, lol. I dont think any are "best". I run a Cobb now, but its more for "bling" than anything (and its not shiny).

How does that compare to the sti uppipe? I may be interested if he isn't.

I have an sti up. It looks almost identical to the LGT's (with the heat shields on) and has the exact fitment. What I like about the STI's pipe is there is not a egt bung. Just use a resistor to put in the plug to fool the ecu. Plus, it looks stock so it is much easier to pass inspections.

No EGT bung in the OEM uppipe I have.

I have 2 two 2008 Legacys. Both have uppipes with no cat and no EGT sensor.

I think the EGT sensor went away with the cat. I think the OEM uppipe I have is the same as an STi. It came off my 08 SpecB. My 08 5EAT still runs the OEM uppipe.

I would get one w/o a flex section

gotta say I disagree here. mind you, I'm aware alot of cheap flex up's can have leak issues at the flex section. However the flex does assist in flange leakage prevention due to it's forgiving characteristics, allowing the flanges to line up more directly versus a traditional rigid strait pipe. If you want a true quality up pipe with flex, I'd go with the grimm speed. Very popular, good reviews, got one myself with a 38mm tial ewg waiting for my build to commence.

just my .02

Oh, I agree with you there. I recently asked about the eBay ones w/ flex sections. I hear the cheap ones can break apart and cause issues with turbos. But the nicer ones, like the name brands (grimm, etc) or an OEM sti uppipe have a higher quality flex section that will last.

Again, i'm just telling you what i've found from researching the boards. I'm no expert by a long shot :-)

:whore:

Flex is only as good as the material it is made from. Search nasioc and you will find lots of posts about cheaply made flex sections disintegrating into the turbo. I would be weary of cheaply made headers and uppipes that contain flex steel. If you read the flex manufacturers requirements for length compared to ID in order for the flex to work you would find that many pipes use a flex section too short to actually perform as intended.

My 2 cents.

Flex is only as good as the material it is made from. Search nasioc and you will find lots of posts about cheaply made flex sections disintegrating into the turbo. I would be weary of cheaply made headers and uppipes that contain flex steel. If you read the flex manufacturers requirements for length compared to ID in order for the flex to work you would find that many pipes use a flex section too short to actually perform as intended.

My 2 cents.

slightly confused as to weather you just didnt notice what I wrote or are interpreting it backwards?

gotta say I disagree here. mind you, I'm aware alot of cheap flex up's can have leak issues at the flex section. However the flex does assist in flange leakage prevention due to it's forgiving characteristics, allowing the flanges to line up more directly versus a traditional rigid strait pipe. If you want a true quality up pipe with flex, I'd go with the grimm speed. Very popular, good reviews, got one myself with a 38mm tial ewg waiting for my build to commence.

just my .02

The group of us here in this thread may have different opinions between whether to go with or w/o flex, but I think we all understand what were talking about lol

slightly confused as to weather you just didnt notice what I wrote or are interpreting it backwards?

The group of us here in this thread may have different opinions between whether to go with or w/o flex, but I think we all understand what were talking about lol

no not confused. :confused: you mentioned leaking. my comment had nothing to do with leaks. i was simply stating the known issue of the flex material disintegrating over time and destroying the turbo. :)

Archived