LegacyGT.com

upper tgv gasket install bust p0171

• Mega Users

top right gasket was not there after I checked under the hood when I heard the noise.

hopefully people that DIY this can learn from me.

I put in a new inlet as I had a leak. I put the inlet in, and as insurance (:lol:)replaced the TGV gaskets, even tho they were done 60k miles ago.

make sure your damn tabs are there AFTER you tighten the intake mani back on. I'm pretty sure the top right gasket slipped off during the tightening process, while i was wiggling the manifold to get it the right spots. The reason why i think this is this one was the top right drivers side, a bitch to get on with needle nose pliers. Even tho I pressed the mani down to get the gasket in the grooves, I think it still slipped off. It was my stupidity that I did not double check after it was tightened down.

now, p0171, and heavy knock and vibration from the top right of the motor, gasket tab is not visible.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• Mega Users

its crazy how easy it is to ef that up. really too bad, the inlet install went great.

it would be really nice if the gasket just fell off before I tightened that side down, and the car was knocking because its just running so lean on that side of the motor.

• Mega Users
So....what now? Is the next step an entire tear down? How much damage will an o ring do (serious question here)...?

I'm not tearing this thing down.

I may have been defeated barmanbean.

just too bad, the car really was starting to run great. wasn't burning nearly any oil, vf46 had zero shaft play, and great stage 2 powa.

• Mega Users
So....what now? Is the next step an entire tear down? How much damage will an o ring do (serious question here)...?

o ring would do plenty I'm assuming, anything foreign really. its a diesel o ring, thick in nature

So your saying you split the intake manifold at the manifold to TVG, and not just the TGV to head.

Or are you saying the TGV gasket popped off the locating pin on the head ?

I thought I told you just to unbolt the long bolts, TGV to head and not mess with the bolts that hold the orange o-rings in.

So I doubt you sucked in a piece of the orange o-ring, they are pretty meaty. I have four of them that have not been used if you need one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Mega Users
So your saying you split the intake manifold at the manifold to TVG, and not just the TGV to head.

Or are you saying the TGV gasket popped off the locating pin on the head ?

I thought I told you just to unbolt the long bolts, TGV to head and not mess with the bolts that hold the orange o-rings in.

So I doubt you sucked in a piece of the orange o-ring, they are pretty meaty. I have four of them that have not been used if you need one.

The TGV gaskets to the intake mani, the orange o ring style. I wanted to replace the TGVs while I was in there, thats why I removed them. But really, its not necessary since the gaskets were revamped to be meatier and more durable since everyone was pulling p0171 codes and rough idles in the cold.

I guess I'm not thinking to optimistic here because of the knock noise I'm hearing. That one orange gasket is not visible while looking down and around the intake mani, so it either got sucked into the motor, or it just fell off and I didn't notice while tightening it down.

• Mega Users
probably didn't even suck it in probably trapped in the passage. My inlet install went grea too and ran pretty good. Guess you found yours pretty torn up?

even if it was stuck in the passage, I would still be effed because its such a royal pain to fully pull the IM i dont know if I could do it

• Moderators

Just take a breather from it and come back. Get it somewhere where you can work on it and ask for help--from previous posts it seems like you have some others near you that should be able to help out? It may seem worse than it is at the moment, hopefully that's the case.

Hell, I thought I borked my transmission for a night and found out the next morning that the TB hose has just popped off.

Anyway, hoping for the best outcome here...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Mega Users
Just take a breather from it and come back. Get it somewhere where you can work on it and ask for help--from previous posts it seems like you have some others near you that should be able to help out? It may seem worse than it is at the moment, hopefully that's the case.

Hell, I thought I borked my transmission for a night and found out the next morning that the TB hose has just popped off.

Anyway, hoping for the best outcome here...

thanks mang. going to drive it to the parents again and loosen the IM and to see what I find. its only a mile away.

If you did cut off a piece of it (o-ring), and it went through the engine, it's rubber, I doubt you damaged anything.

BTW it's Byron...;) don't worry I'm used to it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• Mega Users

I knew it was Byron! I just flipped the letters on accident. Going a million miles an hour today, obviously not in my car tho.

you dont think if that whole o ring got sucked in, it wouldn't at least bend the valves?

I'm thinking the whole thing would get caught in the TGV and just sit there.

If a small piece got cut off it would just go thru. But you would still have leak.

I'm just guessing so...

Is the knock you have light or heavy. I think light would be a valve.

• Mega Users

i mean its more of a medium knock with a decently large vibration. sorry i didnt poast videos. going over to moms to lift the IM and see what the verdict is.

bringing coat hangers and my favorite flashlight

• Mega Users

here is what I pulled out tonight.

IMG00026-20120530-2025.thumb.jpg.9494071a193fb229e0320bc067949d08.jpg

as you can see, this gasket did not set properly, and therefore ripped off when it got tightened down to the IM. I used a nail gun nail duct taped to a long flat head screw driver to dig it out. It felt so good to get it out of there, which took almost and hour. It took about 30 minutes to get the new one back in place, and double checked with a mirror to make sure it seated properly.

so I'm feeling real good at this point, but still skeptical. I get the IM buttoned back up, and everything else.

I start driving down the road. Immediately hear a knock that only happens then the car is moving. When its idling, it doesnt happen. So i dont think anything of it.

i take the next right, just doing a lap around the block, hit the gas slightly, and then i hear a loud clunk, which I'm assuming was the valve/rod, whatever. the motor died immediately.

so now the motor wont stay running, and sounds like shit. motor is toast. assuming that the part of the TGV gasket that was ripped off (as you see in the picture), during the installation sucked into the motor and took out a valve with it.

• Mega Users
Sorry to hear that.

Let me know if you want to borrow my engine hoist and stand.

thanks Byron. I've got some thinking to do before I decided to drop a ton of money. unfortunately I'm restricted by time, resources, and real estate to be pulling motors. It might be worth getting it towed to my buddies shop to have them pull the motor to get a diagnosis.

that's to bad its a thick o ring maybe the timing belt just jumped.

just? either way...either way....

ugh, this sucks sorry man. Keep us posted. I blame it all on the inlet, and the infamous install bullshit that i've heard about.

now you have the decision of what to do... go back stronger and better, or......

Archived